Webroot Mobile Security and Antivirus Android app - [UPDATE] Battery Usage Issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Update - 4/20/19 - WSA Mobile 5.5.5.38787 is now available to all users in the Google Play store. You will receive an update notification soon if you haven't already. This release improves app performance, notifications, and scanning functionality.

If symptoms persist after upgrading to version 5.5.5.38787, please open a Support Ticket.

----

Update - 4/17/19 - WSA Mobile 5.5.5 is now available to all users in the Google Play store. You will receive an update notification soon if you haven't already. This release improves app performance, responsiveness, automatic scanning functionality, and battery consumption.

Customers who have already installed our beta version are on the latest version. No action is required on your part. The beta group will be closed when we release the next version of WSA Mobile and you will be notified to upgrade to the latest release.

If symptoms persist after upgrading to version 5.5.5, please open a Support Ticket.

----

Update: 4/12/19 - We have issued a new build to address recent issues affecting Webroot Mobile Security users on Android.

Version 5.5.5 improves app performance and responsiveness, and will address the issues some users are having with higher than normal battery utilization. This new build is being rolled out in phases to users so it may take a few days for all users to get the update.

Customers who want to get the new version right away can use this link to upgrade. Webroot apologizes for any inconvenience users experienced.

To see if you have already been upgraded to version 5.5.5, check the version information of the installed Webroot Mobile Security app. To do that, open the app, on the Home screen tap the Android menu button, tap About.

(Japan Only) Customers who were not part of the initial rollout who want to get the fix more rapidly can open a ticket with our customer support team who can advise further. Webroot apologizes for any inconvenience users experienced.

Please be aware that the Google Play store will present this app as an “unreleased version" and will prompt you to “Become A Tester”. Click the link to proceed, however please disregard the instructions and information about the testing program. Webroot will release an update to this 5.5.5 version automatically, which will remove the Beta Tester designation. There will be no additional action required on your part.

By downloading and using the software in this link, you agree that such software is (1) in the beta stage of development and (2) considered “Evaluation Software” under the Webroot SecureAnywhere Solution Agreement that governs your use of the Mobile Software.

If symptoms persist after upgrading to version 5.5.5, please open a Support ticket.

----

Update: 4/10/19 - Testing – We are making progress on the issues regarding the Webroot Mobile Security and Antivirus Android app. Thank you for your patience while we are continuing to work on fixing this issue. Our latest test build improves app performance, responsiveness, and scan times but we are still working through one blocker.

Before we’re able to release this app to everyone in the Google Play Store, we still have some additional testing that needs to take place.

We will keep you updated with any changes.

Again, sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

----

Identified - We are aware of an issue regarding the Webroot Mobile Security and Antivirus app. Some Android users have reported an increase in CPU usage and battery consumption.

This issue has been identified and is being investigated. Impacted users are still protected and there is no action that needs to be taken at this time.

If you are experiencing this issue, please leave your Manufacturer, Device, and Android version information below.

For more information, please contact our support team here.

125 replies

Identified - We are aware of an issue regarding the Webroot Mobile Security and Antivirus app. Some Android users have reported an increase in CPU usage and battery consumption.

This issue has been identified and is being investigated. Impacted users are still protected and there is no action that needs to be taken at this time.

If you are experiencing this issue, please leave your Manufacturer, Device, and Android version information below.

For more information, please contact our support team here.

HTC 10
Android 8.0.0

Experiencing very fast battery drain and as today, am receiving constant message that my scan is out if date. When I run it as instructed, the response is that no threats are found. However warning message remains.
I have also gotten the warning for high CPU on my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy S7. This happened after the update, version 5.5.4.36995. In addition, the app does not scan properly for treats or viruses.
I am experiencing this issue.
Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960U
Android 9.0 Pie
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Hey everyone,

I made an update to the first post of this thread but wanted to share below as well to ensure you didn't miss it.

Update: 4/10/19 - Testing – We are making progress on the issues regarding the Webroot Mobile Security and Antivirus Android app. Thank you for your patience while we are continuing to work on fixing this issue. Our latest test build improves app performance, responsiveness, and scan times but we are still working through one blocker.

Before we’re able to release this app to everyone in the Google Play Store, we still have some additional testing that needs to take place.

Again, sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced.
I'm having major drain on the battery, Secure Anywhere consumed 65% of my battery, requiring 2 recharges today (was formerly a negligible drain. The phone lasted all day with usually 35 - 40% battery remaining).
Samsung Note 8
SM-950
N50USQU5DSC1 Baseband
ANDROID 9 with April 2019 Security Updates
Samsung Galaxy S9, Android 9, One UI version 1.0
Badge +1
Google Pixel 3XL , Android 9 w/April 5, 2019 security patch. Build number PQ2A.190405.003. kernel version 4.9.124-g86541ee-ab5292322 Fri Feb 8 01:27:08 UTC 2019

Also having the battery drain issue.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which easily would run all day on one charge. Since installing version 5.5.4.36995 I am lucky to get 4 hours before the phone is dead and that is with the screen off. The phone apps run very sluggishly and the phone keeps telling me that the CPU is lagging and needs to boost Webroot. The phone also runs quite hot, even when idle. I hope you can resolve this soon, otherwise I will have to consider uninstalling Webroot.
Automatically putting the app to sleep immediately after use stops the battery drain and high cpu usage. Admittedly in sleep mode it's probably not doing what it's suppose to but you can activate it if you need to. Doing this I did receive info about the app from webroot while it was in sleep mode so it's apparently not totally shut down.
Userlevel 1
I also am being affected by this battery drain, overheating, pop-up notices, BUT I have a different wrinkle......I can not "uninstall OR force stop". So, I have to turn the phone off and turn it on only when I want to place a call or a text. Moto G 3rd generation 6.0 Android.
Hope you can solve this soon.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
I also am being affected by this battery drain, overheating, pop-up notices, BUT I have a different wrinkle......I can not "uninstall OR force stop". So, I have to turn the phone off and turn it on only when I want to place a call or a text. Moto G 3rd generation 6.0 Android.
Hope you can solve this soon.

Most likely you have the Lost Device Protection set in Webroot to On. This would force you to setup Webroot as a Device Administrator on your phone which means you would need to turn the setting off before you can uninstall or force stop.

I have Android 9 so I don't what it would be on your version: Settings... Security & Location...Advanced... Device Admin Apps - select entry for SecureAnywhere and then you have the option to "Deactivate the device admin" for that app.
After this your should be able to force stop or uninstall.

--Patrick--
I tried to uninstall Webroot from Application Manager but the uninstall button is grayed out. I then opened the webroot app and clicked on the little dots top right of screen. This opens up a number of options at the bottom of the screen, one of which is an uninstall button. I have now uninstalled Webroot for the timebeing and my phone has gone back to normal operating temperature and the battery performance has gone back to normal. Let's hope Webroot put out a reliable version very soon before we get tired of waiting and start looking at rival products!
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
I have done the same to my Pixel 3 and Tab S2.
Battery life is back to normal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I tried to uninstall Webroot from Application Manager but the uninstall button is grayed out. I then opened the webroot app and clicked on the little dots top right of screen. This opens up a number of options at the bottom of the screen, one of which is an uninstall button. I have now uninstalled Webroot for the timebeing and my phone has gone back to normal operating temperature and the battery performance has gone back to normal. Let's hope Webroot put out a reliable version very soon before we get tired of waiting and start looking at rival products!
What phone you are using?

To uninstall, need to first deactivate Web root as Device Administrator. Then you will allow to uninstall it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Hey everyone,

I made another update on the first post but wanted to provide an update here as well.

Update: 4/12/19 - We have issued a new build to address recent issues affecting Webroot Mobile Security users on Android.

Version 5.5.5 improves app performance and responsiveness, and will address the issues some users are having with higher than normal battery utilization. This new build is being rolled out in phases to users so it may take a few days for all users to get the update.

Customers who want to get the new version right away can use this link to upgrade. Webroot apologizes for any inconvenience users experienced.

To see if you have already been upgraded to version 5.5.5, check the version information of the installed Webroot Mobile Security app. To do that, open the app, on the Home screen tap the Android menu button, tap About.

(Japan Only) Customers who were not part of the initial rollout who want to get the fix more rapidly can open a ticket with our customer support team who can advise further. Webroot apologizes for any inconvenience users experienced.

Please be aware that the Google Play store will present this app as an “unreleased version" and will prompt you to “Become A Tester”. Click the link to proceed, however please disregard the instructions and information about the testing program. Webroot will release an update to this 5.5.5 version automatically, which will remove the Beta Tester designation. There will be no additional action required on your part.

By downloading and using the software in this link, you agree that such software is (1) in the beta stage of development and (2) considered “Evaluation Software” under the Webroot SecureAnywhere Solution Agreement that governs your use of the Mobile Software.

If symptoms persist after upgrading to version 5.5.5, please open a Support ticket.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on Android v6.0.1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Hey everyone,

I made another update on the first post but wanted to provide an update here as well.

Update: 4/15/19 - We have issued a new build to address recent issues affecting Webroot Mobile Security users on Android.

Well I got the new version installed but the scanning remains the same in about 1 to 3 seconds which is not normal and time will only tell on performance?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hey everyone,

Update: 4/15/19 - We have issued a new build to address recent issues affecting Webroot Mobile Security users on Android.

Well I got the new version installed but the scanning remains the same in about 1 to 3 seconds which is not normal and time will only tell on performance?

The scan speed is a bit unreal, not sure the scan is really working.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63

The scan speed is a bit unreal, not sure the scan is really working.

I agree but we don't know if it's the new normal? We aren't told what to expect.
Userlevel 1
  • @Virtualpb
As you instructed Lost Device Protection was set in Webroot to On position. Once removed the gray shadings returned to active and I was able to un install.
Thank You.
Stargategreen
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Webroot Beta has just triggered an update. Scanning is still too fast just like what everyone is posting. I haven't left the Beta yet either.

For anyone out their experiencing battery drain or high CPU from webroot as I was try this it worked for me. I have a S9 and was noticing that u was charging my phone at least 3 times a day and it was over heating as well. If the beta version/ 5.5.5 didn't resolve the issue then reboot your phone and run local test 0/130 which you should be able to read the words that are on the screen not for sure if it's different on every phone but on mine 0 / 130 was English hit the power button to reboot and you're good to go. I have not had an issue with my battery draining or overheating since then. Hope this helps
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
For anyone out their experiencing battery drain or high CPU from webroot as I was try this it worked for me. I have a S9 and was noticing that u was charging my phone at least 3 times a day and it was over heating as well. If the beta version/ 5.5.5 didn't resolve the issue then reboot your phone and run local test 0/130 which you should be able to read the words that are on the screen not for sure if it's different on every phone but on mine 0 / 130 was English hit the power button to reboot and you're good to go. I have not had an issue with my battery draining or overheating since then. Hope this helps

Hello @Roofer ,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I have a Samsung Note 8 and I am not seeing the 0-130 on the screen after a reboot..I can go into Safe Mode but that is it.

Thank you for your suggestion though.
Badge +1
Snce installing the 5.5.5.38287 version on a Pixel 3xl, my battery does not drain as much, but it also does not seem to perform a virus scan. Selecting the option for a manual scan causes it to think about scanning for a couple seconds with no progress on the progress indicator, before returning success.