Solved

wssyncmlnps com.wssnps risk message samsung note 3

Started this morning - Webroot picked up and identified the Trojan "Android.SMSsend" in wssyncmlnps com.wssnps....I tried to unistall and it can not be unistalled nor can I identify which sub routine is running this service.  Is this a real threat or not? and if not why did Webroot just start picking this up ?   -Orion
icon

Best answer by Dermot7 15 April 2014, 19:36

View original

46 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi David, yes don't stress too much with your eyes...Trifocals sound like my transition lenses...looks like it's slowed down some..I couldn't make it this morning when Dermont7 was helping this issue.
Should I not use my phone for a few days?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi galenruud, no just ignore the FP and you should be alright until new updates arrive..right@DavidP1970?
Userlevel 7
Absolutely.  The phone is quite safe to use, and keep Webroot active.  We know that one particular file is being incorrctly identified as a threat, so do not remove the file, just ignore that one specific warning.

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi David, yes don't stress too much with your eyes...Trifocals sound like my transition lenses...looks like it's slowed down some..I couldn't make it this morning when Dermont7 was helping this issue.
Yes, I think they are.   My insurance was too cheap to pay for the no-line type lenses, and so was I, so trifocals it is LOL  :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yeh I pay to have the line removed from my glasses 😉 off subject I guess uh @
Thanks. Good night,
G
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes Goodnight G and post back if you have any other questions,

Sherry
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yeh I pay to have the line removed from my glasses 😉 off subject I guess uh @
Yeah, i guess so, but i get off subject here and there.   TH will give me a tsk tsk for it 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes He's funny LOL..
Userlevel 7
Hi Orion, MeMutley, cube420, re63, Suziemac, galenruud, hauteroox!! :D
Welcome all to the Webroot Community!

I'm glad that your issues with Android and Samsung seems to be mostly solved!
I hope you all stay with us for longer :D
Feel free if have any further questions.

Regards,

Mike
Boy, looking at the permissions this wssy thing has, you'd think it really was a Trojan; or spyware.
Userlevel 7
True! But considering its the updater for the device`s manufacturer its not suprising. Its a good point though, its always worth looking at an app`s permission before you install it.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
True! But considering its the updater for the device`s manufacturer its not suprising. Its a good point though, its always worth looking at an app`s permission before you install it.
That's true Roy!
And also one should not install any applications from the unknown source.

Regards,

Mike
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but why would an updater need to make phone calls or edit text messages. I smell a rat.
Userlevel 7
It`s not that it needs to do that but it needs access to the libraries associated with them. It the way the Android OS is layed out, in the same way you open a app and then you notice in task killer that the calender app/calculator app has suddenly opened up. Its easier/smarter to use existing functions that are in the OS rather than re-writing them from scratch.
So I should trust your word on here? I too have a Samsung galaxy s3 with the same issue. So I should just ignore it too? That won't hurt anything? Thank you for your time.
Got this threat on my new Galaxy S5. Should I ignore this also. that it is false positive??
Userlevel 7
Hi mafiawife,

Have you read this statement? 
Thank you for contacting Webroot Support. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.
It does appear the detection in question was a false positive. We have re-evaluated the definition detecting the application you report and corrected the false positive on our end. Within the next 24-48 hours we will release a new definition set with those corrections and you should no longer see that detection. In the meantime, you may choose the option to "Ignore this threat" and this will prevent Webroot from displaying the alert again for that particular app. We appreciate your report and thorough troubleshooting!

Regards,
The Webroot Mobile Threat Research Team

As David has mentioned a few posts before, it has been identified as a False Postive and it's being fixed.

Regards,

Mike 

Thanks for the posts on this -- I just noticed on my Tablet last nite and I am releived to see these posts and responses. 

Userlevel 7
Hi gmb225,

Welcome to the Community!! :D

@ wrote:
Thanks for the posts on this -- I just noticed on my Tablet last nite and I am releived to see these posts and responses. 

You're welcome! :D
Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Regards,

Mike