7031 and 7032 errors relating to WRSVC stopping and starting problems

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Hi Guys - 
firstly forgive me if this problem has already been dealt with millions of times!
My wifes PC (still on XP) shows errors in event viewer - namely 7031 & 7032. It seems that this relates to WRSVC issues, which if I am correct relate to the webroot program.
In essense, WRSVC keeps switching itself off, followed by an immediate attempt to restart.
All in fairness, everything seems to perform quite well in spite of this reported malfunction. Is this a known 'problem' - and is there a workaround to deal with it?
Thanks in advance

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Purgatory!

The first thing I would try, simply because it is quick and easy, is to simply to a clean re-install.  Copy down the key code for safe keeping, uninstall WSA and reboot.  Reintall WSA from a fresh download (Link below).  If you are given an option to use saved settings, select no.

I hope this fixes it, but if not, continue on below.

While you have XP, I did some quick looking and found a reference to this sort of thing on 2003 Server..  According to Product Manager Shawn, the best way to handle this would be via a Trouble Ticket.  

The short of it is that there may be something in that machines particular environment is causing this.  Webroot Support DOES still support XP, and may be able to find the problem and help you fix it.

Please note that this being the Easter Holiday weekend, there may be a delay in processing Trouble Tickets: I am not sure of this.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Many thanks for a speedy reply
have uninstalled - and reintalled - will see how this goes
Thanks again
Userlevel 7
Let us know how it goes... so that I have a bit more information to go in if we should see this again in the future 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I did as recommended - totally removed from my wifes PC - then did a fresh install. The very next day a flood of 7032 and 7031 errors were again showing in her event error list.
I uninstalled again, and replaced webroot with 'a free' alternative. All showings in event viewer are now error free.
Will leave this for a short period - but would appreciate any further comments that may be made. Please note that my own PC installations on (both Win XP and Win 7) do not show any such quirks!!
Userlevel 7
Since the uninstall reintall did not get rid of the error messages, I would suggest you file a Trouble Ticket.  As previously noted, althout Microsoft may no longer support XP, Webroot certainly does.  Support may be able to locate the source of the error and correct it.

If you do contact Support and they are able to correct the problem, please let us know 🙂  I would be very interested to know what is causing it.
Userlevel 7
I`ll take a guess that it may be HDD related, is there a lot of fdisk/chkdsk errors in the Event logs by any chance? 
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
No - just a recurring list of 7032 and 7031 errors.
Userlevel 7
Hi Purgatory

Looks like you have a tautologic issue here as 7031 is generated by the Service Control Manager when it detects that a specific service terminated ungracefully, and 7032 is generated when the Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination but this action fails due to an error; generally because an instance of the service is already running.

What service is being highlighted in the 7031 message and that should give a pointer as to where the issue lies.  I would back Roy on this one or possibly that the Print Spooler service is involved?

Either way the best way to resolve is to hit the Microsoft website and search using the error codes...that should provide suggestions to resolve.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Here's what eventid.net has on it:
http://www.eventid.net/display-eventid-7031-source-Service%20Control%20Manager-eventno-465-phase-1.htm
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Since my last post I have run an alternative AV. This did not produce a single instance of error 7031 & 7032.
Today I reinstalled Webroot, and instant re appearance of the errors once again. MS points to WRSV as the problem.
I will try to catch up on the posts to see what has happened since I last looked at this issue
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you Please Submit a Support Ticket so they can gather logs and other info to see why it's doing this and please let us know the outcome as it could help other users!

Also use this Log gathering utility http://download.webroot.com/wsalogs.exe and after uploading the info to Webroot then Start the Support Ticket with the same email address and let them know that you have uploaded WSALogs also then they can have a deeper detail look at to what is causing this.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Thanks you all for your comments and efforts in my behalf.
Sorry, have not had time to pusue this as I would wish. There are two further nuances that I can report, which might give a further clue to the problem.

I have webroot on three PC's - two of which have not encountered any problem whatsoever.
On the remaining PC (with the problem) - I note two further things which need to be flagged up.

1 - I can go hours without event viewer showing any 7031 or 7032 issues - then for some unaccountable reason a flood of issues appear. I have tried to identify this with the use of a particular program - but without success.

2 - There is a disparity in the times shown on the webroot front page - let me explain. On both 'OK' machines, the sum of the Last scan and next scan ALWAYS add up to 23 hours.
On the problem machine this is not the case. Have just checked. The scan setting is set for everyday at 2pm.. Despite this the last scan is shown as 6 hours ago (incorrect) and the next scan is reported to be in 22hours time - again incorrect.
I can confirm that the bios battery is fully functional - and a journey into the M/B settings confirm the date and time and year - plus time zone to be correct.
Userlevel 7
Hi Purgatory

I would run CHKDSK (/r /f) on the not 'OK' machine...I cannot help feeling that this is hardware-related.  Running CHKDSK will not cause you any issues and may resolve this issue.  Worth a try in my book, assuming that you have not already tried this.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Thanks Baldrick - have semi come to that conclusion myself.- this is my wifes PC by the way.
Last night (after reading your post) I went to the event log, and for the whole day there was not one error logged!!!

I did however have a poke about, and found that there was some norton debris still in the machine from long long ago. In addition I found that a recent direct nvidia graphics card update, was not viewed with favour by windows - so reverted to the version favoured by the windows installation.
Will continue to monitor - and keep everyone in the picture.
Thanks again
Userlevel 7
Thanks, Purgatory

Good to know that you look as if yo are homing in on the issue, or may even have already done so.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Only have a little time to spend on this problem - but it does seem that running checkdisk - does for a limited period overcome the problem. Yesterday (Thursday) the PC went all day without a problem until last part of the day.

I used her PC this morning, and from the very start there were recurring errors showing. I ran checkdisk again, and this has made an immediate difference.

One odd thing I noticed - I have run all three of my machines with the startup status notification switched off. As soon as I run checkdisk, this is switched back on again. I will not alter this and see what (if anything) happens.
For the record, I have also run sfc /scannow and all the usual wheezes. I note the earlier comments about print spoiler - but the problem occurs regardless of any printer use (she uses a Brother laser and a canon inkjet).
Userlevel 7
Hi Purgatory

Good to see you back.  What you say is interesting and I am still convinced that you have a hardware problem, and most probably with your disk storage.  It may be worth trying to get the disk checked/SAMRT parameters reviewed using something like Hard Disk Sentinel...whilst it is paid for software I do believe that one can run a fully functional trial and that may well reveal some more detail and whether there is in fact that sort of issue.

Keep us posted...I for one am very interested by your issue.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Thanks Baldrick - yes I will keep you posted.
Did I mention(?) that the rogue PC does random scans. The two 'correct ones' adhere to the settings for their daily scan - whereas the 'rogue' one seems to carry out several scans during a daily period.
Userlevel 7
Hi Purgatory

No problem.  And no you did not mention that about the rogue PC...not sure that the two things are linked but then again...it is a rogue PC.  I have not seen the multiple scans per day issue myself but if it is a glitch in the installation then an uninstall, reboot, reinstall (without applying previous settings) and the reboot is the first thing to try to rid yourself of it...if younare so minded.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If the disk is starting to fail, make sure you get a good backup!