Solved

after Chrome update never ending circles

Userlevel 2
  • Popular Voice
  • 31 replies
Today after updating Chrome, if doing a search in Google I now get a spinning circle  instead of Webroot's check mark.  I see the check marks in IE whether using Bing or Google for searches.  In Chrome doing a Googe search I get the spinning wheels, but using Bing's search in Chrome I get the WR checkmarks.   WOT's ratings were not affected. 

Seems everytime there is a Chrome update Webroot has some kind of problem.  Any idea how long till WR resolves this?
icon

Best answer by nic 16 October 2014, 18:09

View original

37 replies

Userlevel 3
I sure the Staff at Webroot are aware of this since they maybe reading this posting and are working on the issue!

p.s.
        Webroot WRSA has and is the best and smallest software that I have ever used and I love it!  All super great ratings for
         their outstanding software that they have developed!  Small footprint in memory and amazing at what it can do
         for as small as it is!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Chrome is forcing users to get the Web Shield from the Chrome Store so it's best to install in from there and let us know if that helps? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 2
Thanks TripleHelix but it didn't help. The Chrome update was today to Version 38.0.2125.101 m.- from V 37.   I already had the newest version of the WR app installed.  I unistalled the WR app and reinstalled but that didn't help.  Since Chrome went from V 37 series to now 38 (which is somewhat major...I guess) WR will have to modify their app, that's what has happened in the past.  

I looked through my old WR posts and it definitely seems to be a case of Deja Vu!  It won't be cured until WR updates their app, again, just like the last time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I've pinged some folks here to come take a look at this one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes I can confirm as it is doing it with me as well! And they don't stop.

Thanks,

Daniel :S

Userlevel 3
Aint't nothing like double web shielding!  One from within Chrome and Webroot monitoring the browsing activities!

Cool!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Seems to have been fixed now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Seems to have been fixed now.
Well on my end it's still not working it still keeps circling but I have been told they are working on a fix ASAP!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)
Userlevel 2
Hasn't been fixed on my end yet.  It's odd that using the Chrome browser WR checkmarks work fine searching with Bing but not with Google search.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes it is strange and I or someone else will let you know when the fix is in place it could be a Program Update or an Extension Update not quite sure.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
It's definitely working ok on google.co.uk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Really that is very odd as I live in Canada and not working here and I will ping @ to allow your picture as this is very interesting!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Oops! please ignore my previous post I've found out why it works for me, I was still using version 37 xx, now I've just updated to version 38 xx and I'm seeing the same problem as others. doh!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
We're working on getting this fixed right now.  I'll let you know when we have a solution!
Userlevel 2
Well there has been a Chrome update since I first reported it and the spin just keeps on spinning!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
Well there has been a Chrome update since I first reported it and the spin just keeps on spinning!
Yes, but it's the fact that Chrome keeps Autoupdating in the background which is giving WSA a problem to handle, so it requires a change in Webroot to accommodate how Chrome functions in this respect.
TripleHelix said:
"I or someone else will let you know when the fix is in place it could be a Program Update or an Extension Update"

Userlevel 2
A temporary workaround would be to allow "load unsafe script" option for the page with the search results. The checkmarks should appear then.

http://www.brockport.edu/lits/documentation/_media/angel/chrome_unsafe_script.png

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
A temporary workaround would be to allow "load unsafe script" option for the page with the search results. The checkmarks should appear then.

http://www.brockport.edu/lits/documentation/_media/angel/chrome_unsafe_script.png

While that does indeed work, I strongly hesitate to advise using it.  The reason is that there is no listing as to which unsafe script is to be loaded.  In the event of both the Webroot Extension AND another really unsafe script being present... what would the result be?  Would that not open the possibility of unwanted results as well?

@ @ What do you both think about this?
Userlevel 2
"While that does indeed work, I strongly hesitate to advise using it."

I understand that and I wouldn't advise to do this without hesitation as well. In this case the unsafe script seems to be from Webroot though, as the checkmarks load successfully after allowing the unsafe script. I didn't intent this to be general advise but rather a possible hint for Webroot staff that might help tracking down the source of the problem and its solution.

Kind regards
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
"While that does indeed work, I strongly hesitate to advise using it."

I understand that and I wouldn't advise to do this without hesitation as well. In this case the unsafe script seems to be from Webroot though, as the checkmarks load successfully after allowing the unsafe script. I didn't intent this to be general advise but rather a possible hint for Webroot staff that might help tracking down the source of the problem and its solution.

Kind regards
Just checking, and THANKS!  (I had not actually tried it myself until you brought it up... and it did indeed work like a charm 🙂  )
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah not sure I'd advise changing that setting.  While it might fix the problem, it opens you up to other malware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just got an update - we are making progress on fixing this issue.  Devs think they have it figured out, so if that bears fruit then we'll need to get it implemented and QA'd and out to you guys.
Userlevel 7
Awesome!  Thanks Nic and good work to the Dev's!
Userlevel 2
Thanks I have the same problem..:D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks I have the same problem..:D
Me too, well, we all do really.  I have just been using IE or Firefox for searches.  At least it lools like a fix will soon be on the way for us 🙂