Solved

Annoying notification showing several times a day

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
The following pop-up appears on Windows 10 several times a day:

How do I make it stop? If I can't stop these annopying pop-ups without installing your stupid browser extensions then I will have to uninstall the software completely. This is unacceptable.
icon

Best answer by LLiddell 18 June 2018, 17:00

View original

48 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Hey everyone, I got to the bottom of this and it was in fact an educational campaign. I have seen that this has ended effective today, and because of the feedback we have received here, it has been noted to not take this course of action again in the future. So thank you for your feedback, we hear you loud and clear, and it will no longer be part of Webroot.
@ wrote:
Hey everyone, I got to the bottom of this and it was in fact an educational campaign. I have seen that this has ended effective today, and because of the feedback we have received here, it has been noted to not take this course of action again in the future. So thank you for your feedback, we hear you loud and clear, and it will no longer be part of Webroot.
Hi Lara.

Thanks! That's great news :D

Might it provide us with a glimmer of hope that that other annoying pop-up "View your Personalized Security Report" will also be terminated?

I can find no-one on these Forums who appreciate this feature. For example:
@ wrote:
...the pop still comes back relentlessly. This is worse than the utterly pointless and self congratulatory one for the 'view your personal security report’.
By the way, for what it's worth this is what I had to say on this matter almost two years ago.

The carefully considered Idea regarding this pop-up, submitted by @ following his observation regarding customer dissatisfaction, has so far generated a whopping 9 pages of overwhelmingly negative comments (apart from the first page) from Webroot users*. Yet 4 years and 3 months after he submitted his idea, it still has received no decision from management one way or the other.

Would it be too much to hope that someone will finally make a decision about this feature?

*We subscribe to Webroot to avail ourselves of its excellent and superior malware protection, not to be subjected to the spam-like and frankly annoying pop-ups that we associate with other cheap and mediocre products.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
The following pop-up appears on Windows 10 several times a day:

How do I make it stop? If I can't stop these annopying pop-ups without installing your stupid browser extensions then I will have to uninstall the software completely. This is unacceptable.
This should be a one-time pop up, are you still experiencing this? If so, please let me know so we can look into it further. Better yet, if you reach out to our support team, we can solve it much sooner.

1-866-612-4227
or
https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp 
@ wrote:
This should be a one-time pop up, are you still experiencing this? If so, please let me know so we can look into it further. Better yet, if you reach out to our support team, we can solve it much sooner.

1-866-612-4227
or
https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp 
Thanks, Lara. I assumed it was a one-time thing but wasn't sure.;)
As far as I know, the popups have nothing to do with whether or not you have Webroot's browser extensions installed. I DO have them installed (smart) and I've only seen this popup once. Don't know why you're seeing them so often. Hopefully a Webroot employee, like @ can chime in with a suggestion?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thank you @, I was having a hard time believing that Webroot had these many OPS reporting this issue. Much appreciated that the issue has been solved! 😉 Thanks to all who reported this popup. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
I just got the popup again. at 9:30 am PST on 6/18/18.  When should I expect to stop seeing it?

We did shut it off, could be based on the polling rate that your program checks in with our servers. The now disabled "pop up" should be gradually hitting all users here throughout the day as users turn on their computers, and the Webroot client checks in with the server.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Just adding to the aggravation this has caused users.  This is very inappropriate for a paid product, ever.

I even got my question deleted from the blog post...  not sure what that behavior is about other than the marketing guy wanting to keep a job.  There was nothing rude about my questions.

It's because your image needed to be approved, it's automated, and I just approved it. Should be good to go, not deleting anyone's posts. I really like hearing from everyone and we did shut this off. At some point within the next 12 or so hours all computers should have hit their polling rate and had this pop-up disabled for good.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks for the quick response! I'm really happy to hear that these kind of notifications are no longer part of the software. Webroot is meant to block the spammers, not join them ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Thanks for the quick response! I'm really happy to hear that these kind of notifications are no longer part of the software. Webroot is meant to block the spammers, not join them ?
I agree with you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hi Lara.

Thanks! That's great news :D

Might it provide us with a glimmer of hope that that other annoying pop-up "View your Personalized Security Report" will also be terminated?

I can find no-one on these Forums who appreciate this feature. For example:
@ wrote:
...the pop still comes back relentlessly. This is worse than the utterly pointless and self congratulatory one for the 'view your personal security report’.
By the way, for what it's worth this is what I had to say on this matter almost two years ago.

The carefully considered Idea regarding this pop-up, submitted by @ following his observation regarding customer dissatisfaction, has so far generated a whopping 9 pages of overwhelmingly negative comments (apart from the first page) from Webroot users*. Yet 4 years and 3 months after he submitted his idea, it still has received no decision from management one way or the other.

Would it be too much to hope that someone will finally make a decision about this feature?

*We subscribe to Webroot to avail ourselves of its excellent and superior malware protection, not to be subjected to the spam-like and frankly annoying pop-ups that we associate with other cheap and mediocre products.
This is very useful and valid feedback, and I have yet to find this post from Baldrick as we are gradually working through all feature requests and it takes time (we get through about 10-15 each week). I appreciate you mentioning this, and frankly I agree with you, it's mostly a matter of how I can make it happen, and comments like this help a lot. So thank you! I'll update the thread once I have more information.
@

In case you care to fast-track to @'s Idea and comments thread, it starts here.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
@LLiddell wrote:

Hey LLiddell, I was under the impression that notifications like these were not part of Webroot anymore. I am confused and frustrated now that today I see another pop-up notification telling me about New: Webroot® WiFi Security App

Was there some misunderstanding here? I'd like to think maybe someone goofed, and that you didn't lie to us when you wrote that these notifications ended effective 7 months ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@LLiddell wrote:
Hey LLiddell, I was under the impression that notifications like these were not part of Webroot anymore. I am confused and frustrated now that today I see another pop-up notification telling me about New: Webroot® WiFi Security App

Was there some misunderstanding here? I'd like to think maybe someone goofed, and that you didn't lie to us when you wrote that these notifications ended effective 7 months ago.

Agreed! 😝
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
And I have never seen this pop-up at all. :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Honestly I haven't seen the pop-up but please Contact Webroot Support and tell them Directly! https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Webroot Staff will see this Tomorrow and will make a comment! @ @

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Thank you @, I was having a hard time believing that Webroot had these many OPS reporting this issue. Much appreciated that the issue has been solved! 😉 Thanks to all who reported this popup. 
Thanks as well Lara! ;)

Agreed.  One of the factors that pushed me off of free antimalware was the pop ups, which you have to accept really as part of their business model.  On a paid product, oh heck no.  Just now was something like the third day in a row, a 4th day will lead to the search for my next choice
Thanks again, Lara. And a really quick reply too 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
@, this is a very long-standing issue between us users and Webroot. Go here to see. Maybe adding your comment there may help, who knows???

@, you said in a post some six months ago in that Ideas Exchange that you would be pursuing this issue with the team involved with a view to coming back to us "with a rationale or plan of action...within a couple of weeks". You did come back with an interim reply several weeks later, but said you hoped to have more news for us soon. Hey, what happened about that??

Incidentally, I can't find anyone on that thread who has anything good to say about this feature* apart from one or two stalwarts in the posts at the very beginning of the thread—and that by the way, is more than 4½ years ago :@

*Personally, I think the teams who create particular features have their own interests and attachments to those features and are therefore hardly those best placed to objectively judge their value to customers, and therefore to Webroot. Just my opinion...
It is also alarming (but sadly not surprising) how many people in that thread said they would be abandoning Webroot due to this annoying pop-up.
Thanks for the write up, and you're right. I intend to reply to the Ideas Exchange post when I have something more tangible.
Wasn't trying to get at you, Lara (sorry if it came across like this—I can be blunt, sometimes perhaps too blunt :(). I'm also all too aware that you are not the decider on this—as I am certain all of us here are. But I am terribly aware of posters (such as the latest one to post on this matter) quite understandably casting doubt on Webroot's general malware protection as a result of their failing to see it make its Password Manager work properly and this over a considerable period of time, and consequently deciding, absent of any alternative information, to abandon Webroot.

Most of us old-time Forum members here know how good Webroot's malware protection is. The average user does not, and imho needs to be informed and reassured when things go wrong. As you said, and I agree 100% with you here: "customers deserve stronger communication...transparency and proactive information". I just wish others in the company could see this and could agree with you here.

Crises can happen to a company, but it is how it reacts to those crises that can sometimes decide its fate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw your information in your post to us:
@ wrote:
Where it stands currently I can't say, but I can tell you that action will be taken closer to the launch of the new version of PWM.
is very helpful in informing and reassuring us of how you are relaying our concerns and keeping us updated on what is happening/has happened. Thank you, Lara :D

I'm getting this, too.  VERY aggravating.  Completely unsatisfactory.
Userlevel 1
 Getting this constantly too and sick of it, it's not a notification at all it's a blatant advert for the webroot blog. It doesn’t matter if you click on the link and visit their stupid, boring blog either the pop still comes back relentlessly. This is worse than the utterly pointless and self congratulatory one for the 'view your personal security report’. Not renewing this year, totally had enough. I paid for an antivirus to sit silently in the background and protect my pc not flood me with intrusive pop up ads on my desktop interrupting my work. Webroot used to be good now it’s worse than the malware it’s supposed to protect you from.
No help from tech either other than "You can close it by clicking the red x" Doh! Muppets!
I've been getting it too, 2 or 3 times a day for at least 4 or 5 days now. Extremely annoying. If the company cannot get this right, I will be canceling my subscription. The only reason I went with Webroot is that it was extremely unobtrusive, but this is blatant self promotion and is useless to me, and I cannot make it go away.