are you able to detect Trojans, worms & an y malicious viruses in attachments?

• 21 April 2015
  • 1 reply

Are you able to detect Trojans, worms & an y malicious viruses in attachments? The reason I ask is because, a person I know that owns an internet company and knows a lot about how to make viruses/programs sent me an Excel attachment about information I needed from her & believe she put something malicious in that attachment, becasue my hard drive crashed a couple of days later & I had just ran my antivirus the day after I opened the attachment.

I recovered the information from the HD & need to print out the information in that Excel sheet. WebRoot didn't find anything malicious in the Excel sheet without it being opened. Would you please help me with this issue PLEASE!

Thank You

Lildeb54

1 reply

Userlevel 7
If there was something malicious in the attachment, it would most likely have been detected by Webroot when you opened it. If you did not see anything unusual when you opened the attachment, or if you did not notice your computer acting strange when you opened the attachment, I would not think that there was anything wrong with the file.

I think it was just coinsidence that you had the hard drive failure a few days after you opened the attachment. I know the timing seems strange, but things happen. Hard drives are delicate devices that do fail.

I hope this helps!