Solved

Bitdefender conflict with WSA-A

Userlevel 4
Hi,

I'm having problems with Google Chrome. I have to disable Identity Shield or set Chrome to "allow" in order for Chrome to work with both Bitdefender and WSA-A installed. If I don't, Chrome freeze before start page is rendered.

Is this a known compatibility issue? Anyone knows how to solve it?
icon

Best answer by shadek 4 June 2014, 22:32

View original

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi shadek

Exactly where are you having to set Chrome to 'Allow'?  I am afraid that I do not use the Antivirus version and I know that there are some differences in the area of application protection, etc.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi shadek, Well simple as it may have you uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome? I don't use Bitdefender tho so Im not sure about the compatibility issues there. Some one else might be able to advise..Hang in there...
Userlevel 4
Baldrick:

In the settings for Identity Shield. In the area with Protect, Allow and Deny.

I have to set Chrome to Allow in order for Chrome to work when having Bitdefender installed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Shadek, I've googled a search and found on the WildersSecurity Forum that there seems to be alot of capatiblity issues with BO runing with WSA.http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/bitdefender-wsa-system-wont-boot.319901/ 
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Re-Bitdefender-conflicts/td-p/19716
Userlevel 4
Yeah, SSherjj. I know. That's the forum where I usually reside. 🙂 That's why I'm asking here! To get an answer from users with great knowledge of WSA rather than reading of what I already know.

I'm hoping someone here knows how to solve the issue.

Internet Explorer 11 works just fine with WSA's Identity Shield. Chrome does not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi shadek,

It's a known issue as I seen this at Wilders: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/with-bitdefender.353920/#post-2288057 and IMHO you don't need Bitdefender WSA is much more than enough.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great to have you over here I added another link from the Webroot post. see if that one helps out or not. ;)

Edit: good post @ 
Userlevel 4
Agreed TH, but this is on a computer where I have no choice but to have WSA and Bitdefender installed. This relative of mine REALLY wants Bitdefender while I know WSA is all he needs. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi shadek

I do not see why you would have to set something in WSA so that it will work with BitDefender.  BitDefender installed will either affect WSA and/or Chrome directly or not.

Personally I would set Chrome to 'Protect' rather than 'Allow' given that the difference between the two settings is:

• Protect. “Protected applications” are secured against information-stealing malware, but also have full access to data on the system. By default, web browsers are assigned to the “protected” status. If desired, you might also want to add other software applications to “protected,” such as financial management software. When you run a protected application, the Webroot icon in the system tray displays a padlock: [img]http://download.webroot.com/Help/IDShield/Content/Resources/Images/Icon_lock.png[/img]
  • Allow. “Allowed applications” are not secured against information-stealing malware, and also have full access to protected data on the system. Many applications unintentionally access protected screen contents or keyboard data without malicious intent when running in the background. If you trust an application that is currently marked as “Deny,” you can change it to “Allow.”
That is what I run Chrome as under WSA Complete, using the Identity Protection feature.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Baldrick,

My description and reason I changed from Protect to Allow for Chrome was simply to troubleshoot the problem. It turns out WSA and its Identity Shield is the culprit. Is there any other way for me to have Bitdefender and WSA installed and still use Chrome without issues or is this project doomed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Agreed TH, but this is on a computer where I have no choice but to have WSA and Bitdefender installed. This relative of mine REALLY wants Bitdefender while I know WSA is all he needs. :)
As you know it's been a while and Joe knew about it from then and as far as I know there is no update but Submit a Support Ticket and they can take a look further or might have a work around for you!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 4
TH, I was afraid of that! I'll submit a ticket! :)

Much appreciated!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great and Please let us know the outcome as it could help us and other users!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Hi shadek

Ah, one of those then.  If I were you I would just leave that person with BitDefender installed and remove WSA.  As it is WSA will cede to BitDefender on the grounds of compatibility and only step in when BitDefender fails to or misses soemthing but it sounds to me that if BitDefender is what the person wants then...good luck to them running that.

One can only offer advice and not force those it is offered to to accept or take it...:@

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Will keep you all posted. Thank you for your time!
Userlevel 7
Thanks shadek, much appreciated.  It will be inteeresting to see what arises as a result.

Have a great end of weekend.

Regards

Baldrick

I would personally use WSA Alone. Your PC will run so much better if you use WSA only without Bitdefender AV. Mozilla Firefox conflicts multiple issues including delays in opening Firefox. When opening Firefox, despite of instantly available with Bitdefender, Firefox will take 20 to 30 minutes to open it. We do not use IE, so I have no ideas with IE, that Bitdefender corrupt it or not?
Userlevel 4
I would personally use WSA as protection too, but in this case it's not possible.

I am currently working with support to solve the problems. 
Userlevel 4
I just had an hour long remote session with Webroot's support.

Uninstalled applications
Re-installed applications
Whitelisted files in cloud
Inspected logs, registry files and settings

Nothing fixed the problem. Chrome still freezes as soon as WSA's ID-shield 'protects' Chrome. Support claims nothing is wrong with anything on Webroot's end. Bitdefender is the most probable root of the problem. 

Support recommends me to either set Chrome to "Allow" (leaving browser without protection) or uninstall Bitdefender.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello shadek, We really appreciate the feedback from you with your Remote session with Webroot, Sorry you didn't get this resolved completely...maybe The Forum Members can add to this or advise further...

Big kudos for posting report!
Regards,
Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
Hello shadek, We really appreciate the feedback from you with your Remote session with Webroot, Sorry you didn't get this resolved completely...maybe The Forum Members can add to this or advise further...

Big kudos for posting report!
Regards,

Yes, there are incompatibility issues between Bitdefender and WSA according to support after the remote session. :(

The computer's owner have been talked into uninstalling Bitdefender rather than WSA by me. So he's now using only WSA!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well Shadek Happy to say that I'm in favor for WSA for that's all you need don't you agree sooo Kudos to you.. 🙂
Userlevel 7
There are VERY few compatibility issues between WSA and other AV solutions... but sadly this one exists.

Personally I think the customer made the right choice on keeping WSA installed  🙂
Userlevel 7
Hear, hear...the last time I tried BitDefender it slowed my system down to a crawl...yuk!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hear, hear...the last time I tried BitDefender it slowed my system down to a crawl...yuk!
It can't be all that bad.... I bet the slowdown from McAfee would be far worse 🙂