Bogus Windows 10 security notifications

• 29 February 2016
  • 72 replies

Show first post

72 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi VivB

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I completely understand your position & view, but you have done the best thing in the circumstances by opening the support tickets.

Whilst the ticketing system is people 24/7 given it is the weekend it can take a little longer for the team to respond...plus if it s something that Microsoft have caused to break due to the recent update then again that can take longer to deal with given that the no doubt the Supportt Team will need to contact Microsoft about.

Hopefully, they will be able to definitive resolve the issue shortly, given that they have already brought out a fix, albeit one that does not seem to work in all cicrcumstances and for all users affected.

So please keep watch in the Community for developments on this.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
thanks! Reading through some threads have discovered (I'm a newbie here) that I shouldn't have posted a second report, because it wipes out the first ticket. So, that hasn't helped. But at least I can see I'm in the queue and getting support from the community.
Cheers

Userlevel 7
No worries, VivB...as one of our Gurus, TripleHelix, has just said in another thread on this issue...PAtch Tuesday is coming up and hopefully Microsoft will come up with goods, as by all accounts it is not just WSA that is affected.

Keep watching this space and the Community in general for updates on this.

Regards, Baldrick
Keeping my eye on this thread, as I'm in the same boat...

It's really more annoying than anything else...

Thanks guys or ladies!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Curiouser and curiouser.

I've found a way to trigger the bogus Windows notification at any time:

1. Open Webroot
2. Click the gear to the right of "My Account"
3. Go to the "About SecureAnywhere" tab
4. Click on "Check for software updates"

Windows immediately pops up a warning that Windows Defender and Webroot SecureAnywhere are both turned off.

I've tried this several times and it's 100% repeatable on this PC.

I have two PCs, both set up nearly identically (both are at the same version of Windows with all updates and both are running Webroot SecureAnywhere). This testing was done on my new PC, which came with Windows 10 from the factory. Oddly, this doesn't trigger the notification on my other (older) PC, which is set up very similarly with the exception that I upgraded it from windows 7 to windows 10.

--Larry
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Not here. Have you updated Windows today? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Microsoft-Security-Bulletin-Summary-for-March-2016/td-p/243114 and https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Cumulative-update-for-Windows-10-Version-1511-and-Windows-Server/td-p/243119

Daniel

EDIT: I see you did but I still say it's not WSA or everyone would have this issue and I don't so to me it's a Microsoft issue as many other AV's are reporting the same: https://www.google.com/search?q=security+center+windows+10&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=_wnbVuXTFoO8jgSDkL_4AQ#q=Windows+10+security+center+reports+antivirus+is+not+active

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Curiouser and curiouser.

I've found a way to trigger the bogus Windows notification at any time:

1. Open Webroot
2. Click the gear to the right of "My Account"
3. Go to the "About SecureAnywhere" tab
4. Click on "Check for software updates"

Windows immediately pops up a warning that Windows Defender and Webroot SecureAnywhere are both turned off.

I've tried this several times and it's 100% repeatable on this PC.

I have two PCs, both set up nearly identically (both are at the same version of Windows with all updates and both are running Webroot SecureAnywhere). This testing was done on my new PC, which came with Windows 10 from the factory. Oddly, this doesn't trigger the notification on my other (older) PC, which is set up very similarly with the exception that I upgraded it from windows 7 to windows 10.

--Larry
Nope, sorry, but not reproducable here whatever I try based on what you have suggested...:(
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
As I mentioned in my previous post, it happens reliably on one of my PCs but not the other. I added that information in the hope it might point to whatever's causing the bogus notifications on some users' PCs.

--Larry
Userlevel 7
Indeed, that is useful as is, corroboration, or not, as the case may be! ;)
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Thanks for the heads-up about the latest Windows Update. The gods at Microsoft hadn't yet notified me it was available (though I figured it was coming soon).

After the update, clicking "Check for software updates" no longer triggers the Windows notification. Now let's see if the random notifications have stopped as well.

--Larry

P.S. I was already aware that checking for updates that way rarely if ever is useful; everything happens in that magical "Cloud" these days. ;)

--Larry
Userlevel 1
Well bad news again. Today's (3/6/16) Windows update (OS Build 10586.164) did not fix the issue with the notifications!

Not happy!

wtd3
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Well bad news again. Today's (3/6/16) Windows update (OS Build 10586.164) did not fix the issue with the notifications!

Not happy!

wtd3
Yes I would be to but it's not a Webroot issue as many other AV vendors are saying the same so it's up to Microsoft to fix this sorry. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Bogus-Windows-10-security-notifications/m-p/243151#M23725

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Windows+10+Action+Center+reports+AV+is+off&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=8JDfVuW4GeXpjgTE27iYBQ

Daniel 😠
Userlevel 1
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Not happy!

wtd3
Yes I would be to but it's not a Webroot issue as many other AV vendors are saying the same so it's up to Microsoft to fix this sorry. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Bogus-Windows-10-security-notifications/m-p/243151#M23725

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Windows+10+Action+Center+reports+AV+is+off&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=8JDfVuW4GeXpjgTE27iYBQ

Daniel :@
Appreciate your help TripleHelix greatly however I checked out already and the links you provided and they are not current in dates posted. I did a Google search for: Windows 10 notifications that antivirus is turned off and sorted the results for the past week:

https://www.google.com/search?q=security+center+windows+10&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=_wnbVuXTFoO8jgSDkL_4AQ#q=Windows+10+notifications+that+antivirus+is+turned+off&tbas=0&tbs=qdr:w

Since the issue started a week+ ago, this search I provide shows that Webroot is listed on the top search results and I do not see any other posts that other antivirus programs are having issues in the last week that are related to this notification issue that are again within the last week when you look carefully.

However, I not saying saying that Microsoft is off the hook at all. It's just something that raises more questions and concerns. But again, I have submiited my 5th! Support ticket to Webroot since 2/26/16, which is not resulting to any solution to fix this issue and they yet to state definately whether Webroot or Microsoft is to blame.

With others now reporting that today's Windows Update did not fix the issue, I just am getting fustrated as I have said., but as always your help is grealy appreciated!!

wtd3

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Just to keep you up to date:

As of 6:05 PM yesterday, March 9, Windows is displaying two warnings in the Notification Area of my primary PC, exactly every hour, as follows:

Tap or click to see antispyware apps
Windows Defender and Webroot SecureAnywhere are both turned off. Tap or click to see installed antispyware apps.

Check virus protection
Windows Defender and Webroot SecureAnywhere are both turned off. Tap or click to see installed antivirus apps.

I left the PC on overnight, and this morning I found these messages repeated every hour at 5 minutes after the hour. As you might expect, my Notification Area was overflowing with these pairs of messages

I've restarted the PC, but I doubt if that will make any difference. Webroot is at the same version (9.0.8.72) as before.

This is not a problem with every Windows 10 PC, or at least not as bad on every PC. I have a second PC, also running an up-to-date copy of Windows 10 and Webroot, and those error messages appear, but not nearly as often. The messages haven't appeared on that machine since the day before yesterday. Go figure.

--Larry
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I have now reinstalled webroot, received March Windows update. Still getting intermittent windows messages as before. Everything appears normal, until IT DOESN'T. But it does seem to be a Windows bug. If only I was convinced that everything was fine, despite the notifications.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
The folks at Webroot have stated that they're hard at work coming up with a resolution to this glitch, and that a new version of Webroot will be automatically installed when it's ready.

This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask: Does Webroot update only when a PC is booted (or restarted)? The reason I'm asking, I often keep this PC running for several days at a stretch between restarts; I don't want to miss the update just because I haven't restarted the PC for a few days.

--Larry
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
The folks at Webroot have stated that they're hard at work coming up with a resolution to this glitch, and that a new version of Webroot will be automatically installed when it's ready.

This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask: Does Webroot update only when a PC is booted (or restarted)? The reason I'm asking, I often keep this PC running for several days at a stretch between restarts; I don't want to miss the update just because I haven't restarted the PC for a few days.

--Larry
The new version will be installed automatically shortly after it has been released as long as your computer is turned on and it is so quick you may not even notice that it has actually been updated.
Userlevel 3
Im not sure when it updates..  I was running on the previous version 9.0.8.66 on three of my computers and the 4th machine was running 9.0.8.72.  The only way I could get the other three to update to the current version was to uninstall and then re-install.

Userlevel 7
Hi gahelm

The local WSA client should update as described by Jasper previously but as with everything IT there can be random exceptions, etc., (and I could list a whole handful) so what I do is occassionally I do a manual check for updates (either from within the client or via the WSA notification tray icon)...just to make sure.

But other than that you should be updated silently as and when an update is available...although if you hear of one being released you may not get it immediately as there are some 30+ million clientts installed out there and of course they cannot all be updated att he same time...so such a rollout tends to be by region & gradual...so the key word in this case is 'patience' and keep checking...;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Just as an update, my computer HAD been running without error for over two days since I changed the securty centere from Automatic Delayed to Automatic start-up, but today the error is back.  Bummer!  I am now anxiously awaiting a real fix from the folks at WEBROOT.
Userlevel 3
I'm having this issue as well. I'm glad a patch is on the way! 😃
Userlevel 7
Hi apostle92627

As I have just post in the other thread that you have posted in...fingers crossed...and in the Webroot Support Team...we have faith. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Wow, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I get notifications that Webroot and Defender are both turned off. Just now got another one. Doesn't matter where you are on the internet it just keeps popping up. As I said before, I stand with Webroot. They have never done me wrong. And as I said before, Windows support said they I am using a 3rd part antivirus and not using their Defender. Tough! I still stand with Webroot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
As I said before not all of us are having this issue, I don't on my 2 Laptops and I can't reproduce but be sure Webroot is working on it for the affected Windows 10 systems.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Wow, back with a vengeance!  I have a completely repeatable/reproducible situation (At least for for the time being) should someone from Webroot want to give me a call.  I will allow them to use Teamviewer to see it with their own eyes, or I can gather any data that WEBROOT may find useful in solving this highly annoying problem.  Please contact me via the email address in my profile.  I currently do not plan to turn off the computer for the next day or so, unless I am forced to reboot for some other reason.

**EDIT 03/16/2016**
Received a reply from support stating they are close to resolving this issue.  They must have been able to replicate this problem for themselves since they are not interested in looking at a system that can generate these messages at will.

Lets hope the fix happens SOON!