BrightCloud issues (1st issue)

• 9 August 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Based on two issues I'm guessing BrightCloud  is having issues.  If not, help is needed.  Here is the first issue.

Summary: No response or change after 13 days and sending an email to "dbchange@brightcloud.com" gets changed (somewhere) into noreply@brightcloud.com.  It appears to have taken 21 days to get the reputation changed... see below for details about why this seems to have take about 20.5 days too long.

On July 26 and July 27 (separate accounts) the following email was received.

Dear User‚

We have faced some problems with your account, Please Confirm that you're the owner of the account, and then follow the instructions.

To update your account :

Click here.

•We will takes your information and privacy seriously. The information you provide as part of this self-service transaction is used only to give you the best possible support.
•Click the link below to open a secure browser window.
•Confirm that you're the owner of the account, and then follow the instructions.

© All Rights Reserved 2014.

Hmmm, Being a curious sort Brightcloud URL lookup was used and the web page passes; which is understandable.  A reputation change was sent and The following response was received.

We will email you again after we review your suggestion.  We evaluate all requests and typically update our data and service if necessary within 24 - 48 hours.

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Contact us at: dbchange@brightcloud.com

No response after 3 business days so an email is sent to the "Contact us at:" addresss.  In that email I asked if they would like a copy of the original email since there was no way to send it during the initial request.   The email is rejected.

On August 4 (13 days later) a follow up email was sent.  Again, the email is rejected.  (The email was sent from@yahoo.com to@brighcloud.com but rejected by Google Groups.  As best I can make out dbchange@brightcloud.com is being changed to noreply@brightcloud.com.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ExpertNovice

GIven what yo are saying I suspect that this is one to ask our most excellent Community Manager, @ , to see if he can use his contacts to get us an inside track on this, as I doubt that anyone outside Webroot staff can respond, etc.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Based on two issues I'm guessing BrightCloud  is having issues.  If not, help is needed.  Here is the first issue.

Summary: No response or change after 13 days and sending an email to "dbchange@brightcloud.com" gets changed (somewhere) into noreply@brightcloud.com.  It appears to have taken 21 days to get the reputation changed... see below for details about why this seems to have take about 20.5 days too long.

On July 26 and July 27 (separate accounts) the following email was received.

Dear User‚

We have faced some problems with your account, Please Confirm that you're the owner of the account, and then follow the instructions.

To update your account :

Click here.

•We will takes your information and privacy seriously. The information you provide as part of this self-service transaction is used only to give you the best possible support.
•Click the link below to open a secure browser window.
•Confirm that you're the owner of the account, and then follow the instructions.

© All Rights Reserved 2014.

Hmmm, Being a curious sort Brightcloud URL lookup was used and the web page passes; which is understandable.  A reputation change was sent and The following response was received.

We will email you again after we review your suggestion.  We evaluate all requests and typically update our data and service if necessary within 24 - 48 hours.

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Contact us at: dbchange@brightcloud.com

No response after 3 business days so an email is sent to the "Contact us at:" addresss.  In that email I asked if they would like a copy of the original email since there was no way to send it during the initial request.   The email is rejected.

@On August 4 (13 days later) a follow up email was sent.  Again, the email is rejected.  (The email was sent from@yahoo.com to@brighcloud.com but rejected by Google Groups.  As best I can make out dbchange@brightcloud.com is being changed to noreply@brightcloud.com.

I agree with Baldrick that Nic would be best at answering the question concerning the BrightCloud email.

I have in the past requested a reputation change and received an acknowledgement email as well as confirmation email. I believe both were "noreply"

Question: You said you emailed BrightCloud. Am I understanding correctly that you did first request a change to the reputation of a URL on their wesite? If so, the last paragraph on the bottom of that page says 
"

"How Long Will This Take?

Our Web Analysts typically process all requests within 24 - 48 hours after they are received. If you check the Receive Notifications box on the request page, you will receive two emails from us - the first acknowledging that we received your request, and the second after it has been processed and updates published to our systems. There may be an additional delay in receiving your data updates depending on how frequently your specific product gets updates from BrightCloud. Additionally, Palo Alto Networks customers may have to do a "cache flush" for their change to take effect."

The email they send to you acknowledging receipt of your request would most likely be a "noreply"  as it is an aknowledgement.  The 2nd email responding to your email sent to dbchange@brightcloud.com, may likely be as well, When you click on reply, enter dbchange@brightcloud.com in the "To:" section replacing the "noreply"

The amount of time it takes is also explained in that paragraph, not every request will ref;ect a change in 24-48 hours.

As for the verifying your account,  is that in response to your email or response to your request made on their website?

Nic sometimes is here on weekends, but if not he will be here Monday. Baldrick has already alerted him to your post.

Beth

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry you're having problems.  Let me find out the right person internally to get this fixed for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok I put in a support escalation to have them contact you.  Please let me know if they aren't able to get it resolved and I can go higher up the chain.