BrightCloud issues (2nd issue)

Userlevel 5
Badge +22

Summary:  Webroot filtering icons are gray with a lightning bold suggesting Brightcloud is not responding to Webroot Webshield.  This goes along with Contact information being converted to noreply addresses and bouncing back.  Thus, there seems to be an issue that, while probably being addressed, is not being explained to Webroot users.  The details of issue 2 follow.

Edited to add:  Each entry in Google is followed by this text.
Missing: webroot 
My webbrowser (IE 11, usually run in Sandboxie) failed to have the Web Shield / Web Filtering icons by links as normal.

A reboot put the icons back but, instead of the color they are gray with, what appears to be, a lightning bolt.  A search shows Webroot uses grey icons to indicate a shield is turned off.

Here is what has been checked.
IE 11:  Manage Addons > Toolbars and Extensions > Webroot Filtering Extension:  Enabled (32-bit and 64-bit)
Webroot:  PC Security: Web Shield: On
Webroot:  PC Security > Scan & Shields:  All shields and firewalls are on, including Web Shield.
Webroot:  Identity Protection > Online Protection:  All shields and firewalls are on and All website protections items are checked.

35 replies

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
@BB613 wrote:
@ wrote:
Done!
Thanks Nic, but it still isnt showing :8
It shows when I'm logged out - maybe you're seeing a cached version of the page from your browser.  Try doing a ctrl-f5 to force a reload.
Thanks Nic,

Tried it, I'm going to sign out, close my browser and run System Optimizer and start again.

Userlevel 6
@BB613 wrote:
@ wrote:
@BB613 wrote:
@ wrote:
Done!
It shows when I'm logged out - maybe you're seeing a cached version of the page from your browser.  Try doing a ctrl-f5 to force a reload.
Thanks Nic,

Tried it, I'm going to sign out, close my browser and run System Optimizer and start again.

@BB613 wrote:
@ wrote:
@BB613 wrote:
@ wrote:
Done!
Thanks Nic,

Nic, I still cant see it, I can see all other images. 

strange,  
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Try a different browser Beth.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Techsupport did respond again to the very minor issue of the bad email address.  They have not responded to this issue.  For the bad email address....

Issue:  Emails from Brighcloud contain the following line.
Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Contact us at: dbchange@brightcloud.com

Email to that address fail to be delivered.

Brighcloud Response:  There is no way to directly contact the Brightcloud team unless they email you after you put in a change request like a reputation change request.  I am glad to hear that everything is working for your website, let us know if you still need further assistance. 

Result:
I have no idea what the last sentence means but, in response to the first sentence, it was suggested the Brightcloud team remove the email address since they know it will not work.  (I was trying to send further proof of the dangerous website with a 100 rating.  Normal turnaround is 24-48 hours but it took about 504 hours.  Eventually, they did change the rating to a 0 (zero).
I've passed along your feedback to the folks here and they're going to look into it.  Thanks for giving us feedback on the process!
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Try a different browser Beth.
I did, same thing. 
I scanned, optimized, cleaned out everything. I will try shutting down. I will PM you with results, thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
It does appear in my browser (IE 11) but an "html formatting issue" was reported when trying to post.  After reviewing, the second attempt to post worked.

Would it help if a specific format was used .jpg,.png,.gif, etc.?)

Would it help if I sent it directly to either of you?

Thank you for  your help!
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
It does appear in my browser (IE 11) but an "html formatting issue" was reported when trying to post.  After reviewing, the second attempt to post worked.

Would it help if a specific format was used .jpg,.png,.gif, etc.?)

Would it help if I sent it directly to either of you?

Thank you for  your help!
You are very welcome, our pleasure!

Got it now, 

Patch Tuesday from Microsoft is now downloading,

It's good now, thanks

Beth

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
I wish we could have figured out what the problem is, but....

Continuing to research I found a Webroot thread that talked about someone being unable to connect to any server.  After much wrangling someone suggesting uninstalling "My Dell" and reinstalling Webroot.

No, I'm not gonna do that without a better reason.  But wait, there's more!

While it turns out that "My Dell" has been runing on my system for a long time (a Dell Tech must have installed it), it was never running at a time that I saw it, until last Friday.  Each time it was seen running it was stopped.  (I planned to find out why it was running at a later time.)

Well, the last time it ran, and cancelled was on Friday morning in the wee hours.  It was when I woke up Friday morning Webroot was failing.

Ok, close enough.  My Dell was uninstalled.  (It was only doing drive checks of ALL drives connected to the system and I DO NOT want that happening.)

NO joy.

Groan.... uninstall Webroot, reboot, reinstall.  working. Updated the configuration as much as possible.  (15 denied connections were unable to be reapplied because the application was not running.)

Still working.

So, either Dell doesn't like Webroot, Webroot doesn't like Dell, or neither like the other... :D

Beth, thank you for perservering.  Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.

Godspeed,
Jim
Userlevel 7
We pretty much exclusively use DELL hardware here in our offices so its not a DELL software issue unlesss something really odd is going on. 
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Rakanisheu,

Thank you for responding.

Agreed.  There were no known configuration changes between working and not-working.  The only unusual event was was cancelling the exectuion of "My Dell"; which per "My Dell" event log was the only time that had occurred.

I really would have liked to find out the underlying cause to avoid the "uninstall/reinstall" Webroot basic method.  Usually individuals in the Forums can help with these issues.

I didn't want "My Dell" reading and writing to every sector of every drive every day (between 4.5 to 24.5 TB) so it would have been reconfigured, blocked, or uninstalled anyway.  The comment; "I just removed the 'My Dell' program....installed Webroot and it runs like a charm!!! " at "https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Cannot-Connect-to-Servers/td-p/104624" was the deciding factor.

Godspeed,
Jim