BrightCloud issues (2nd issue)
Summary: Webroot filtering icons are gray with a lightning bold suggesting Brightcloud is not responding to Webroot Webshield. This goes along with Contact information being converted to noreply addresses and bouncing back. Thus, there seems to be an issue that, while probably being addressed, is not being explained to Webroot users. The details of issue 2 follow.
Edited to add: Each entry in Google is followed by this text.
My webbrowser (IE 11, usually run in Sandboxie) failed to have the Web Shield / Web Filtering icons by links as normal.
A reboot put the icons back but, instead of the color they are gray with, what appears to be, a lightning bolt. A search shows Webroot uses grey icons to indicate a shield is turned off.
Here is what has been checked.
IE 11: Manage Addons > Toolbars and Extensions > Webroot Filtering Extension: Enabled (32-bit and 64-bit)
Webroot: PC Security: Web Shield: On
Webroot: PC Security > Scan & Shields: All shields and firewalls are on, including Web Shield.
Webroot: Identity Protection > Online Protection: All shields and firewalls are on and All website protections items are checked.
Already have an account? Login
Login to the community
No account yet? Create an account
Enter your username or e-mail address. We'll send you an e-mail with instructions to reset your password.
Tried it, I'm going to sign out, close my browser and run System Optimizer and start again.
I scanned, optimized, cleaned out everything. I will try shutting down. I will PM you with results, thanks
Would it help if a specific format was used .jpg,.png,.gif, etc.?)
Would it help if I sent it directly to either of you?
Thank you for your help!
Got it now,
Patch Tuesday from Microsoft is now downloading,
It's good now, thanks
Continuing to research I found a Webroot thread that talked about someone being unable to connect to any server. After much wrangling someone suggesting uninstalling "My Dell" and reinstalling Webroot.
No, I'm not gonna do that without a better reason. But wait, there's more!
While it turns out that "My Dell" has been runing on my system for a long time (a Dell Tech must have installed it), it was never running at a time that I saw it, until last Friday. Each time it was seen running it was stopped. (I planned to find out why it was running at a later time.)
Well, the last time it ran, and cancelled was on Friday morning in the wee hours. It was when I woke up Friday morning Webroot was failing.
Ok, close enough. My Dell was uninstalled. (It was only doing drive checks of ALL drives connected to the system and I DO NOT want that happening.)
Groan.... uninstall Webroot, reboot, reinstall. working. Updated the configuration as much as possible. (15 denied connections were unable to be reapplied because the application was not running.)
So, either Dell doesn't like Webroot, Webroot doesn't like Dell, or neither like the other... :D
Beth, thank you for perservering. Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.
Thank you for responding.
Agreed. There were no known configuration changes between working and not-working. The only unusual event was was cancelling the exectuion of "My Dell"; which per "My Dell" event log was the only time that had occurred.
I really would have liked to find out the underlying cause to avoid the "uninstall/reinstall" Webroot basic method. Usually individuals in the Forums can help with these issues.
I didn't want "My Dell" reading and writing to every sector of every drive every day (between 4.5 to 24.5 TB) so it would have been reconfigured, blocked, or uninstalled anyway. The comment; "I just removed the 'My Dell' program....installed Webroot and it runs like a charm!!! " at "https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Cannot-Connect-to-Servers/td-p/104624" was the deciding factor.