BrightCloud issues (2nd issue)

Userlevel 5
Badge +22

Summary:  Webroot filtering icons are gray with a lightning bold suggesting Brightcloud is not responding to Webroot Webshield.  This goes along with Contact information being converted to noreply addresses and bouncing back.  Thus, there seems to be an issue that, while probably being addressed, is not being explained to Webroot users.  The details of issue 2 follow.

Edited to add:  Each entry in Google is followed by this text.
Missing: webroot 
My webbrowser (IE 11, usually run in Sandboxie) failed to have the Web Shield / Web Filtering icons by links as normal.

A reboot put the icons back but, instead of the color they are gray with, what appears to be, a lightning bolt.  A search shows Webroot uses grey icons to indicate a shield is turned off.

Here is what has been checked.
IE 11:  Manage Addons > Toolbars and Extensions > Webroot Filtering Extension:  Enabled (32-bit and 64-bit)
Webroot:  PC Security: Web Shield: On
Webroot:  PC Security > Scan & Shields:  All shields and firewalls are on, including Web Shield.
Webroot:  Identity Protection > Online Protection:  All shields and firewalls are on and All website protections items are checked.

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Techsupport did respond again to the very minor issue of the bad email address.  They have not responded to this issue.  For the bad email address....

Issue:  Emails from Brighcloud contain the following line.
Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Contact us at: dbchange@brightcloud.com

Email to that address fail to be delivered.

Brighcloud Response:  There is no way to directly contact the Brightcloud team unless they email you after you put in a change request like a reputation change request.  I am glad to hear that everything is working for your website, let us know if you still need further assistance. 

Result:
I have no idea what the last sentence means but, in response to the first sentence, it was suggested the Brightcloud team remove the email address since they know it will not work.  (I was trying to send further proof of the dangerous website with a 100 rating.  Normal turnaround is 24-48 hours but it took about 504 hours.  Eventually, they did change the rating to a 0 (zero).
I've passed along your feedback to the folks here and they're going to look into it.  Thanks for giving us feedback on the process!
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:

Summary:  Webroot filtering icons are gray with a lightning bold suggesting Brightcloud is not responding to Webroot Webshield.  This goes along with Contact information being converted to noreply addresses and bouncing back.  Thus, there seems to be an issue that, while probably being addressed, is not being explained to Webroot users.  The details of issue 2 follow.

Edited to add:  Each entry in Google is followed by this text.
Missing: webroot 
My webbrowser (IE 11, usually run in Sandboxie) failed to have the Web Shield / Web Filtering icons by links as normal.

A reboot put the icons back but, instead of the color they are gray with, what appears to be, a lightning bolt.  A search shows Webroot uses grey icons to indicate a shield is turned off.

Here is what has been checked.
IE 11:  Manage Addons > Toolbars and Extensions > Webroot Filtering Extension:  Enabled (32-bit and 64-bit)
Webroot:  PC Security: Web Shield: On
Webroot:  PC Security > Scan & Shields:  All shields and firewalls are on, including Web Shield.
Webroot:  Identity Protection > Online Protection:  All shields and firewalls are on and All website protections items are checked.

Are you saying that your issue #2 is in regards to the setting in The Webroot interface? They usually are set by default. But it is always a good idea to check them.

You mentioned you were running IE11in Sandbox, that may have had an effect on your addons being disabled.

It looks to me that you have solved it yourself.

Beth
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Done!
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Techsupport did respond again to the very minor issue of the bad email address.  They have not responded to this issue.  For the bad email address....

Brighcloud Response:  There is no way to directly contact the Brightcloud team unless they email you after you put in a change request like a reputation change request.  I am glad to hear that everything is working for your website, let us know if you still need further assistance. 

Result:
I have no idea what the last sentence means but, in response to the first sentence, it was suggested the Brightcloud team remove the email address since they know it will not work.  (I was trying to send further proof of the dangerous website with a 100 rating.  Normal turnaround is 24-48 hours but it took about 504 hours.  Eventually, they did change the rating to a 0 (zero).
Glad to hear the dangerous website has been taken care of.

The last line sounds like it may be a standard or automatic response / general response.

As for the email address, Nic did report the issue. I am sure he will follow up on it.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Beth
Thank you for that information. Any idea when this issue will be acknowledged by BrightCloud and fixed? The lack of a proacative response concerns me because it does not seem to be in keeping with the superior customer service that Webroot has always offerred. Also, I am upset because bad sites are no longer being blocked. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thank you for that information. Any idea when this issue will be acknowledged by BrightCloud and fixed? The lack of a proacative response concerns me because it does not seem to be in keeping with the superior customer service that Webroot has always offerred. Also, I am upset because bad sites are no longer being blocked. Thanks.
Welcome stephentony! Great to have you here in the Community Forum!:D! I'm not aware of BrightCloud having any issues. You do go Here and check the site in question don't you?

I use Firefox and I don't seem to see anything wrong. Example:

Hopefully someone in the Forum can address this for you. Please be patient and I'm sure TripleHelix, Baldrick, can help you further!;).

Would you be able to give us more information on what sites that aren't being blocked per'se?

Thank you,

Have a nice day! And hope to see you back!
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Welcome to the community stephentony!
If you are refering to the post by ExpertNovice, are you experiencing what he described? He also said what solves it.
If you are refering to ExpertNovice's other post regarding issue #1, please look at this thread.
The adjustments he made are set by default. It is however always good to check. Verify that the Webroot Filtering Extension is enabled in your browser. Verify as he said that "Webroot:  PC Security: Web Shield: On
Webroot:  Identity Protection > Online Protection:  All shields and firewalls are on and All website protections items are checked."

For more information for PC about shields look here and here  For Mac here and here

Firewall settings  information for PC,

If you need more information, Please let us know

Beth

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Beth,

thank you for responding.

>>Are you saying that your issue #2 is in regards to the setting in The Webroot interface?
No.

>>They usually are set by default. But it is always a good idea to check them.
Correct.  They were checked and everything known to check were found to be correct.  Thus, I reported that to avoid wasting time with the obvious repsonse of; "a shield is turned off, please check."  

>You mentioned you were running IE11in Sandbox, that may have had an effect on your addons being disabled.
 I mentioned that I was running IE11 "usually run in Sandboxie" and should have been more clear that I had already checked IE11 outside the sandbox.  For anyone reading these posts, Sandboxie does not prevent the Web Shield / Web Filtering options of Webroot.)

>>It looks to me that you have solved it yourself.
I doubt that for the following two reasons.
1. Webroot has been using grey icons to represent a shield has been turned off.
2. Trying to research a NYT times article lead me to 5 innocuous websites.  2 had a Brighclout rating of 40, 1 had a rating of 50, one had a rating of 92, and the Washington D. C. server had a rating of 0 (zero).  All had the same grey icon with the lightningbolt.

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Beth,

I should also mention the firewall, Online Armor, was shut down to see if it might be causing a problem.  It is not.

I'm still hoping for a fix.  Since what I checked should have fixed the problem then either Webroot or Brightcloud are having a problem and, hopefully, this will be fixed soon.  I'm sort of tired of entering every unknown website (for example I'm currently researching grammar rules) into Brightclound and entering the code.

It is MUCH nicer when Brightcloud is communicating with Webroot.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Beth,

thank you for responding.

>>Are you saying that your issue #2 is in regards to the setting in The Webroot interface?
No.

>>They usually are set by default. But it is always a good idea to check them.
Correct.  They were checked and everything known to check were found to be correct.  Thus, I reported that to avoid wasting time with the obvious repsonse of; "a shield is turned off, please check."  

>You mentioned you were running IE11in Sandbox, that may have had an effect on your addons being disabled.
 I mentioned that I was running IE11 "usually run in Sandboxie" and should have been more clear that I had already checked IE11 outside the sandbox.  For anyone reading these posts, Sandboxie does not prevent the Web Shield / Web Filtering options of Webroot.)

>>It looks to me that you have solved it yourself.
I doubt that for the following two reasons.
1. Webroot has been using grey icons to represent a shield has been turned off.
2. Trying to research a NYT times article lead me to 5 innocuous websites.  2 had a Brighclout rating of 40, 1 had a rating of 50, one had a rating of 92, and the Washington D. C. server had a rating of 0 (zero).  All had the same grey icon with the lightningbolt.

Let me see what I can find out. I just messaged a Webroot employee.

Beth
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Beth,

I'm getting confused.  In response to Stehentony you said:
>>I'm not aware of BrightCloud having any issues. You do go Here and check the site in question don't you?

This suggests the Web Filtering  / Web Shield which used to generate icons of various colors to;
  • SecureAnywhere shields modify the results display with icons that give you safety information about each website returned as a result of the search."
(See Webroot > Help (?) > Shielding your PC > Enabling-Disabling Shields) for the old icons and descriptions.  The new grey icon with lightning bolt has not yet been added to the list.

However, your response suggests we should always use the Brighclout URL Lookup website.  That suggests we should ignore the icons.  That, in turn, suggests we should turn off the Web Filtering and speed up our searches.  Since I KNOW that is not what you are suggesting  😃 I am obviously confused.

Please clarify.

Also, please clarify what the grey icon with lighthing bolt means.
Please find out why Brightcloud is now (as of Friday morning) not responding to Webroot.

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Wow, that was fast!   :D   Next time I won't blink. 

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Beth,

I should also mention the firewall, Online Armor, was shut down to see if it might be causing a problem.  It is not.

I'm still hoping for a fix.  Since what I checked should have fixed the problem then either Webroot or Brightcloud are having a problem and, hopefully, this will be fixed soon.  I'm sort of tired of entering every unknown website (for example I'm currently researching grammar rules) into Brightclound and entering the code.

It is MUCH nicer when Brightcloud is communicating with Webroot.
Hi ExpertNovice , appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

I just heard back from Nic. He confirmed that his response to you in your other thread BrightCloud issues (1st issue) is for both issues.

You should be hearing from support soon.

Please keep us updated.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Beth

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Thank you.  No emails yet.

The first "issue" has been somewhat resolved.  It only took about three weeks to get Brightcloud updated, but it was.  The email address issue is not a significant issue.  It was only posted becuase it might indicate that changes, unknown to us, are effecting the application.

Godspeed,
Jim
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Got a response for the VERY minor issue of the bad contact address in their emails.

Hopefully, they will look into the VERY MAJOR issue of Webroot Filter being broken.

<sigh>
Jim

PS.  Thanks for trying.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Hovering over the "grey icon with lightning bolt" brings up a tooltip with the following.

"rating not available - couldn't connect to the webroot reputation service"

Nothing about that error was found via google, webroot support, or webroot help.

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Hovering over the "grey icon with lightning bolt" brings up a tooltip with the following.

"rating not available - couldn't connect to the webroot reputation service"

Nothing about that error was found via google, webroot support, or webroot help.

This is something different. This happened using Chrome browser? There is an extension for chrome called Webroot Reputation Bar.
That is different from the Webroot Filtering Extension.
Do you have this in your Chrome Extension?

Beth
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Beth,

I'm getting confused.  In response to Stehentony you said:
>>I'm not aware of BrightCloud having any issues. You do go Here and check the site in question don't you?

This suggests the Web Filtering  / Web Shield which used to generate icons of various colors to;
  • SecureAnywhere shields modify the results display with icons that give you safety information about each website returned as a result of the search."
(See Webroot > Help (?) > Shielding your PC > Enabling-Disabling Shields) for the old icons and descriptions.  The new grey icon with lightning bolt has not yet been added to the list.

However, your response suggests we should always use the Brighclout URL Lookup website.  That suggests we should ignore the icons.  That, in turn, suggests we should turn off the Web Filtering and speed up our searches.  Since I KNOW that is not what you are suggesting  😃 I am obviously confused.

Please clarify.

Also, please clarify what the grey icon with lighthing bolt means.
Please find out why Brightcloud is now (as of Friday morning) not responding to Webroot.

Sorry for the confusion. That was not me who made that response to Stehentony, it was someone else:8 :D

I am trying to find out about this grey icon with lightning bolt. What browser are you seeing this with?

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Beth,

Thank you again for respoding.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit
IE 11, usually run within Sandboxie   (Problem exists even when Sandboxie is not used)
Webroot 8.0.4.115
Online Armor 7.9.0.1866                      (Problem exists even when shutdown)

IE11 Enabled Addons
Shockwave Flash Object                    (in "Toolbars and Estensions")
Webroot Filtering Extension              ("Toolbars and Estensions")

Chrome is not installed.  There were no known changes made to the system.

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Beth,

Thank you again for respoding.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit
IE 11, usually run within Sandboxie   (Problem exists even when Sandboxie is not used)
Webroot 8.0.4.115
Online Armor 7.9.0.1866                      (Problem exists even when shutdown)

IE11 Enabled Addons
Shockwave Flash Object                    (in "Toolbars and Estensions")
Webroot Filtering Extension              ("Toolbars and Estensions")

Chrome is not installed.  There were no known changes made to the system.

Hi!

Thank you for clarifying that. I will try IE and see if I have an icon as you described.

Have you heard anything more from support?

Beth
Userlevel 5
Badge +22

Pehaps this will help

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:

Pehaps this will help

It will as soon as a moderator approves it. I will ping Nic

@ , could you please have a look at this image ExpertNovice posted?

Thank you,

Beth
Userlevel 5
Badge +22

Result:
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Done!
Thanks Nic, but it still isnt showing :8
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
never mind... :D