Brother printer scanning problem

• 29 September 2015
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
so the computer has windows 10 and the printer is a brother MFC-L2740DW series when they try to scan the documents no matter what the settings are they cannot get the documents below 5MB when they had windows 8 this was not a problem the documents have got to be in pdf format any help or suggestions would be very helpful.

6 replies

Badge +1
Normally, People are unable to print or scan something from their brother due to the several reasons.
  • Network Communication problem.
  • Device is in sleep mode.
  • Driver issue.
Now let me take you to the solution to fix the problem.
  1. let's start with rebooting your devices. you should device your printer, computer and router once. Now try to printer.
  2. Be sure your printer and computer is connected from same network . If they are in the different network. you should go ahead and connect them with the same network. let's see now what happens.
  3. Disable the antivirus security for your printer, and then try to scan a document. let's see if it works for you or not.
  4. In case, if you get brother printer offline problem , you should uninstall the printer from your pc, and install it once agian with the latest driver. i am sure this will fix the problem.
Finally, your printer will start working fine. If your printer is still not working fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi jhawley,

This is not an uncommon problem.  I know there are a lot of complaints regarding Brother but I have had the same experienced with HP and Canon also.  Just do a search using the following search terms "brother scanner pdf files too large" and you will find several posts, including posts from Brother support and even YouTube tutorials.

There are also quite a few apps (free and paid) and online sites that offer pdf compression services.  I have not used the online service but I have used the compression apps and they do work.   Even Adobe has an optimize function that can be used.

Good luck in solving this issue,
Dave
Userlevel 6
yes i did that and it scans but cannot get files below 5MB.
Userlevel 6
yes it was not webroot
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Have you updated the drivers, or tried the troubleshooter? 

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2740dw_us_eu_as    

• Windows® 10 Compatibility If you upgrade from Windows® 7 or Windows® 8.1 to Windows® 10, some features of the installed drivers and software may not work correctly. Please uninstall all drivers and software in Windows® 7 or Windows® 8.1 before upgrading to Windows® 10. If you are not able to print or scan after upgrading to Windows® 10, reinstall the drivers by referring to the FAQ below. > Click here to see how to reinstall the drivers.   
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/fix-printer-problems

Userlevel 7
Hello,

Have you tried to test and see if Webroot is causing this issue?

That is the first step I would advise taking.

Basically Uninstall Webroot, reboot the machine, and then test to see if you can scan now.

If you are still experiencing the issue then we know Webroot is not the cause.

If you are not experiencing it any longer, go ahead and reinstall Webroot and let me know if everything is working afterwards.

Regards,