Solved

Can a wr scanning schedule... work or not while the computer is in the "Sleep" mode?

• 5 November 2013
  • 8 replies

Original Problem:
-Noticed freezing problems with my computer.
-Noticed that Windows Defender stopped working, after been working for couple of years.
-Then every morning the computer froze..then .I called WR.
-We uninstalled and Reinstalled WR with new key
-Then a new problem began:  WR ran until 66% and the computer froze.
-Then, as precaution,  I decided to transfer all my documents and pictures and e-mails to E Drive this weekend.
-Then an e-mail problem began:...a pop indicating to fix the corrupted "Chkdsk..."

This is the update:
I called WR and the representative explained to me that fixing the CHKDSK was easy... He was right...I followed the following process and now my e-mail is working fine.:D

Process to fix the CHKDSK:
_First I went to START; then clicked in RUN; then typed cmd in the open box.
Then followed this special instruction for Window Vista:
"-If you want CHKDSK to run thoroughly; that is, fix errors, find bad sectors in  your hard drive and recuperate still readable https://#,  type: CHKDSK c:/r or CHKDSK c:/p and press Enter in the Command Prompt." (I followed this last instruction)
STATUS NOW: The process fixed two corrupted files, even showed file numbers, and now my E-mail is working fine.

STATUS WebRoot: Yesterday I changed the scanning to late at night, but I put the computer in "Sleep".
I checked the status of WR and said that the scan was performed 22 hours ago.

Question:  Does WR scan the computer  when the computer is not in SLEEP mode only?
Because the CHKDSK was fixed, should I uninstall and reintall the WR program again?
Thanks!

icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 5 November 2013, 19:22

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
No need to re-install Webroot again..

I am sorry, but the scan will not run while the computer is asleep. You will want to change the settings for a time when you will have it on, or simply run it manually every day at a time that suits you.

(There is a setting in Advanced Settings that will allow you to specify to run the scan if the computer was not on at the time of the scheduled scan: this would make it scan when you turn the computer back on and would work fine as well.)
Thanks, David for answering my question.
I will change the scanning schedule for day time.
I ran the wr scan now..it stopped not at 67%. in file  that reads:
c: windowsystem32Thawbrkr.dll"

Is that a reliable file?

The computer froze again, now at 67% of the scanning.

I was able to to turn it on again; check wr status and it said the scanning was completed.

Userlevel 7
Hi salutealltoday

You can find out alot about the reliability of a file by Goggling "what is..." and including the file name concerned.  If you do that for the file you are referring to there are a number of references to it including one from paretologic that I have referenced before.

This states to start with that "The module thawbrkr.dll is one of the Word Breaker libraries of the Windows Operating System. Word Breakers are included in versions starting from Windows XP Home and Professional Edition up to Windows Vista."

And from reading the details it would seem to be if yoU are running the Thai version of Windows (see http://dll.paretologic.com/detail.php/thawbrkr for more details).

However, I would always take what you read on Goggle with a pinch of salt, i.e., caution, as there is 'good' and there is 'bad', and certainly I review a number of the articles that come up to try to get a general feel ofr the file I am investigating.

I am fairly certain that if the file was bad and WSA detected this then it would quarantine the file and advise it had done so. ;)

Suffice to say that if you want to double check any file, including this one, you just have to find/locate the file concerned, then right click on it and then select 'Scan  with Webroot' which will launch a custom WSA scan for just that file.  It is quick, easy to do and reliable.  I use it a lot if I have a doubt after I have read up about files that I am curious or cautious about.

I hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Thanks Baldrick...Everytime one of you answer my questions I learn something new.

I appreciate your help ...so you have my Kudos!
Need to update: I called webroot today and they help me too.
While I was checking the chdsk the computer was not finding some errors. When wonderful Johnny ran the computer in Safe Mode the computer showed some errors and began the repairs...and guess what?. Bingo...errors were found and fixed.

Then remotely he uninstalled and reinstalled the wr program and scanned the computer again .....the feeling was great when I saw the scanning screen passing the 67% percent of scanning. (That was the point were the computer was freezing!

Thanks everyone that advised me and a big virtual congratulations to Mr. Johnny S in Webroot!

Userlevel 7
Remember to keep an eye out for possible hard drive problems.. if it got stuck again, you may need to really keep a close watch on that.
Thanks David...crossing my fingers that it was just errors.
Will keep everyone update.
Thank you for the help answering all my questions. I'm very grateful!.

Userlevel 7
Hi salutealltoday

I am sure I speak for David too when I say "Happy to help".

We are one big happy family, happy to help and we ALL learn from this (as they say "one is never too old to learn a new trick"). :D

So keep em coming and hang around as much as you can even if you don't have any issues as you never know who you might be able to help. ;)

Regards

Baldrick