Can I use Webroot to uninstall Norton antivirus from a machine that wont let me uninstall it.

• 5 December 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
The computer I'm refering to was my older computer that still worked fine until my better half went somewhere she shouldn't have.  Whatever viruses she encounterd made a home on that computer.   I couldn't even get the anti virus program to complete a scan.  The computer I'm working on now is a gem and Webroot workswithout and trouble. 

I tried to install Webroot on the older crippled computer.  The firstproblem I ran into was the viruses in the computer had wiped out all information for connecting to the internet which was required to install Webroot from disc.  I was finally able to get that computer to recognize the internet and I was up and running getting Weboot to install.  I'm soory this is taking so long but the next paragraph hopefully will explain my problems on that computer.

Webroot found not one nor even two, bvut a whole colony of viruses that were reproducing and destroying the computer.  After Webroot finished cleaning the computer I tried to complete an easy program removal I thought.  The program I was trying to uninstall (Norton Antivirus), but it was full of hidden viruses that webroot cleaned out.

So now I have a clean machine, hopefully.  I wont run both computers at the same time untill the formerly crippled computer is safe.  The computer will not remove Norton through the app removal program.  Can I use Webroot itself to uninstall that program and how do I do that?

Thanks for all the help I get from the community.

Jeff S.(maggies friend) 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello maggies_friend

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

No Webroot will not remove Norton.

Have you tried this removal tool?
Norton Removal Tool  Downloads and Uses Page
  • The Norton removal tool is actually a set of different tools for a variety of Symantec/Norton software.  
Also you can Submit a Support Ticket and they can have a look at your system free of charge.

Userlevel 7
Hello @ and welcome to our Community!

No apologies necessary, we're here to help the best we can.
Webroot SecureAnywhere is strictly a Security program, meaning that there is no tool or utility built-in to uninstall other programs. Because it sounds like this situation is a tad more complicated than a regular uninstall procedure, I highly recommend you contact Norton directly to remove their Software. This is the surest way of making sure it gets resolved, and by the right people.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/contact

Please let us know how your experience goes contacting them! I'm sure they'll get everything all straightened out for you 🙂
Userlevel 4
Thank you for the tips and advice.  I'll try the norton removal tool before contacting norton.  I may STILL have virus issues in the older computer.  Thanks again and I'll report any success I have. 
Userlevel 4
Don't know if I replied or not...but the tip for the norton removal tool worked perfectly after a smml issue in the beginning.  Norton was removed, ran rebroot after the removal and nther virus was removed and many malware were also removed.  The computer is running like it should again, but more work needs to be done on it.  I don't know where my better half was going on that computer, but Webroot should keep the computer clean...I hope. :)

Thanks again,
Maggies Friend