Solved

Can't download a program


Userlevel 3
I am trying to download something called 1stBrowser, but whenever I try to, I get either messages saying failed, insufficient permissions, or threat detected. Why is that?
icon

Best answer by bjm_ 4 August 2017, 03:31

File name:1st_browser_45.0.2454.139.exe
Detection ratio:28 / 64
Analysis date:2017-08-02 22:27:44 UTC ( 1 day, 3 hours ago )

 Webroot Pua.Iminent.Gen


View original

21 replies

Hello MikaelaArsenault.
 
I did a Google search on 1stBrowser and I found it is considered a PUA. If you still want to download this program (Which I don't recommend) I would recommend contacting Webroot Support.
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie-KB/How-to-Remove-Potentially-Unwanted-Applications/ta-p/40744
Please submit a Support Ticket or Contact Webroot Support to sort this problem. This service is FREE with a Paid Subscription.
Support Ticket System is Open 24/7
 
Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.
File name:1st_browser_45.0.2454.139.exe
Detection ratio:28 / 64
Analysis date:2017-08-02 22:27:44 UTC ( 1 day, 3 hours ago )

 Webroot Pua.Iminent.Gen

Userlevel 3
I'm going to contact them right now.
Userlevel 3
Welp. I guess that's why Webroot is not letting me install the program then. 😞
FWIW ~ Items rated as a PUA - which does not mean malware. A PUA can download and install other software that might turn out to be, indeed, malicious. However, PUA can be installed at the user's discretion. The signature detection is to bring the file to the user's attention.

What some users consider a PUA, other users will not; what one AV company rates as a PUA, another will not.

In general, be more vigilant and discerning. PUAs in particular usually install with your consent, and your consent can often be implied when you take shortcuts like a default installation, fail to read all the installation options presented, fail to read Terms & Privacy & EULA.

This post is provided “AS IS" with no guarantees or warranties.  ~ YMMV
Userlevel 3
Maybe that's why the program refuses to download then. Too bad, because the browser looked really nice from the screenshots.
Userlevel 3
Support was no help to me at all when emailing them.
Userlevel 7
Hi MikaelaArsenault
 
I am assuming that when you say "Can't download a program" that is because WRSA is blocking the download? If that is the case then you should check that you are actually downloading from the author's website or from a site that they have recommended and not from a 3rd party site such as download.com or CNET.com.
 
The reason is because often the 3rd party sites 'bundle' other or additional software in with the installer that you are looking to download and a lot of what is bundled is deemed to be a PUA (or Potentially Unwanted Application) which a generally linked with spurious pop ups, adware and the like which you certainly do not want on your system.
 
So check this out and if you are not using the author's web site try finding which it is and retrying the download from there.
 
Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
I can't download the program from the author's website because I get an error message.
@ wrote:
I can't download the program from the author's website because I get an error message.
I got this Warning from the authors site upon clicking the Download & Install button.


 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I can't download the program from the author's website because I get an error message.
OK, then I suspect that you should avoid the site if WRSA is suggesting that ou should not be downloading from there.
 
Sometimes something is just not meant to be. But of course if you feel you know differently then you can just ignore the warning...but that is not advisable unless you are absilutely sure that the site is safe and that WRSA is reporting a False Positive.
 
Regards, Baldrick
 
Regards, Baldrick
and FWIW ~ Webroot threw alert and quarantined download from FileHippo.  YMMV
File name:1st_browser_45.0.2454.139.exe
Detection ratio:28 / 64
Analysis date:2017-08-02 22:27:44 UTC ( 1 day, 3 hours ago )

 Webroot Pua.Iminent.Gen
 
Userlevel 3
What do you mean?
Userlevel 3
I will have to avoid the site then.
Userlevel 7
That would indeed seem like the best approach in the circumstances. ;)
Userlevel 3
Sounds to me like the browser has a lot of malware.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Sounds to me like the browser has a lot of malware.
It is not necessarily the browser itself but rather the additional programs that have been bundled with the main progaram...and as has beenb said previously PUAs are not usually malware related but rather adware related...and there is a very big difference between the two.
 
Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +55
@ wrote:
Sounds to me like the browser has a lot of malware.
Here is some great info on PUA's: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie-KB/How-to-Remove-Potentially-Unwanted-Applications/ta-p/40744
Userlevel 3
Ah. Sorry about that. I got confused there for a minute. What I really want to do is get the browser, without the additional programs.
@ wrote:
Ah. Sorry about that. I got confused there for a minute. What I really want to do is get the browser, without the additional programs.
I've sent you PM. 
Userlevel 3
Thank you.

Reply