Solved

Can't install Malwarebytes?

• 27 November 2014
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
New computer and first time user of Webroot secureanwhere. I can download the malwarebytes setup program to my desktop, however when I try to execute it webroot is blocking it. Without knowing my way around webroot real well yet I set the access in block/allow files, yet it still won't run the setup program. Keeps giving me a threat detected message??

Can anyone help by walking me thru the permissions to allow this to run?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 27 November 2014, 01:27

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello Tomn, and Welcome to the Webroot Community.

First question is from where did you download it? Only download from a vendor's own website preferably.
There shouldn't be any conflict with a genuine MBAM installer. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
To add to what Dermot has just said:

I have never installed MBAM before.  It just so happens that just 30 minutes ago I obatined a license for MBAM Premium.  I had not installed it yet though.

After seeing this post, I downloaded the installer, installed, activated and am now running the first scan.  I have had NO problems or warnings from WSA.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I downloaded the setup program from Malwarebytes site.

i still get the threat detected message. bs.exe in c:usersuserappdata emp  and the actual file is "pua.Optimuminstaller"

By the way i am using Windows 8 and coming from XP it's quite a learning curve so I  haven't figured out quite how to do print sreens yet.

Is there another safe place to download?  Majorgeeks maybe?
Userlevel 7
Do not try to download from any other site.. just not a good idea.

Lets try to get it working the right way.

@ are you still around?

Also, I am wondering which version you are downloading.  Are you downloading a free trial or are you downloading the premium version?  (Being new to MBAM myself as of tonight, I do not know what the free version installer would do - I went straight to a Premium download)
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Tomn,

I also just downloaded the free version, and there is no problem with it.

I believe you think that you got it from Malwarebytes, but in fact it's obviously coming from elsewhere, perhaps a fake website, because what you're showing us is a PUA (Potentially Unwanted Application) Webroot's position on PUA - Webroot Community
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

This the only place you should download MBAM: https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I think that site is the same one I used. Now have a new problem, I can't delete the setup program, keeps telling me the file is open in another program. As far as I can tell it's not??

How do i get around this now?

Windows 8 is certainly is becoming a challenge.....
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I think you guys are right. I went to the MBAM site you linked and downloaded the free version on my desktop. completely different logo and everything. I thinks I did a baaad thing. How can I get that first one off my system?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Try uninstalling via Control Panel and remove the program and install the correct one and that one should remove any crap that's left over. You have to watch where you get things as there are so many scammers out there. :@

Daniel
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I wish it was that easy. The setup program is not listed under Control Panel > uninstall programs. the real Malwarebytes program is however. So.... Webroot saved me when I ran another scan and it found it and deleted it for me.

Thanks guys. **bleep**.... that website looked like the official thing to me. learned a valuable lesson here.

Userlevel 7
Hopefully that has you taken care of on it 🙂  Sounds like WSA did it's job right, and now you have one of the best 'layered protection' combinations around.

If you have any problems or questions, of course let us know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I wish it was that easy. The setup program is not listed under Control Panel > uninstall programs. the real Malwarebytes program is however. So.... Webroot saved me when I ran another scan and it found it and deleted it for me.

Thanks guys. **bleep**.... that website looked like the official thing to me. learned a valuable lesson here.

Well at least you came to the right place this time some even go to the wrong place for support of WSA and they end up paying big bucks.

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
One possible explanation for what occured here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typosquatting

Always check in the address-bar that you are at the exactly correct  location, it's critical!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_bar

And do not necessarily believe the 1st choice in search results either...(Black-Hat SEO):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization