Solved

Can't unistall SecureAnywhere from Mac OSX

• 20 January 2013
  • 64 replies

Show first post

64 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'll put in a request to have them contact you again and figure out a method that works for everyone.  Sorry you had a bad experience!
I did open a ticket support and update it…They told me to call a number but what a number the number doesn't work!!!!???
I'm stuck here, I'm a teacher and work a lot from home but this has become impossible ….this is most annoying! I'm resent installing this programme.
Userlevel 7
Hi Nic

Thanks...for the confirmation.

Hi MARLOWE

If you have opened a Support Ticket then please update it to explain to Support your circumstances and to ask them to communicate with you by email or by chat (remote session) as suggested by Nic.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah I would suggest either corresponding by email or by chat, if he's having problems with phone.
Userlevel 7
Hi MARLOWE

I am not sure I follow what is going here with Support but perhaps we can check with our Community Manager, as to whether he know as to whether there is an alternative to a phone call?  I presonally have never had to call Support, I have just communicated with them via the Support Ticket or by them connecting to my PC to have a look at the issue/carry out some changes to see if they would resolve the issue.

Hi Nic @ any other options for MARLOWE to get support for his uninstall issue?  Just wondering if a remote session would be possible (cheeky of me to ask...I know :p)

Regards

Baldrick

I have they told me to phone I'm in France if you add the jet lag and the price of the call this is going to be pricy….But do I have the choice? English is not my native language …Really regret having installed this software ...
Userlevel 7
Hi MARLOWE

Welcome to the Community Forums...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_jumping.gif

Sorry to hear that you have a problem...may have missed a post from you but would you be able to describe your problem?  I presume that it relates to being unable to uninstall WSA running under OSX?

If you have tried the advice/suggestions made in this thread and they have had no success then I would recommend that you Open a Support Ticket and provide Support with all the information on your issue/what you have tried yourself to resolve it, etc.

If however you need further help with the suggestions made in this thread then please post back and we will see what further we can do to help, or PM the poster of the suggestion and see if they can provide you with more detailed information as to their suggestion, ;)

Regards

Baldrick
I'm glad you found a way, as for me I haven't yet and I don't really understand how you did what you did….I'm so upset by this thing …:(
same problem that keeps annoying me …every 50 seconds can't get my work done and the suppress process doesn't work !!!How do I uninstall that????
Userlevel 7
Hi theblueone4040

Welcome to the Community Forums...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_bouncing.gif

Thank you so much for your input...I think that this is an very valuable contribution to the Community 'knowledge' about this issue and something that we should certainly asking or advising any future users unfortunate enough to have a similar issue to check for.

Again, thanks so much for taking the trouble to feedback...this is just what we need & like iin the Community.

Hope to see you around?

Regards

Baldrick
This post helped tremendously; however, I did have to do a few extra things to get the program to reinstall. I noticed that Webroot also had two daemons running, WSDaemon and WFDaemon were the names if I remember correctly. Located at /usr/local/bin. I had to do the exact same thing for both of them in order to get the program to reinstall. If you leave them running, then you will still have a bit of Webroot on your system. Just go to the directory, chmod -x both of them, then kill them and you are good to go. After that I was able to reinstall and get Webroot to activate and update.
Userlevel 7
Hi transcendec

Thanks for the feedback.  Are you going to try a reinstall on your Mac or have you given up with WSA on that platform? Reason I ask is because whilst there do seem to be a few more install issues IMHO re. OSC, from what I read, there are many happy users of WSA under that OS.

It may therefore be worth any attempt, especially given that yo unow have the failsafe way of removing WSA should the same happen again.  Just a thought.

Have a great weekend.

Regards

Baldrick
My status wrt WSA?  I had purchased a three-seat license.  It is still active on the two (Windows) machines on which it has not yet misbehaved as it did on the Mac.
Userlevel 7
Hi transcendev

Further to your reporting your situation I was just wondering what your current status is or isn't ;) in relation to WSA.  I suspect that it is the latter rather than the former...but we always like to know here in the Community...just incase a cause is not lost.

It would be good to hear your news.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
That's Hanlon's Razor?  I like that.
Yeah, I try to remember that one frequently.  It helps stop me from getting so mad when things go wrong 🙂
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
That's Hanlon's Razor?  I like that.
Userlevel 7
Hi Nic

I think that you are spot on with your comment here...and for those who don't know it, and to stop them overloading the search engines...en masse...;)

It states "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Think about it...think about it! http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sCo_hmmthink.gif

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
And another thing. Any legitimate self-respecting company that had any respect for its customer base (paying customer, in my case), would simply post a solution to the forum and not require the trouble ticket BS and keep the fix a secret from their users. I could have dug the activation code out of my files and re-entered it, or re-upped online, but tolerating this behavior in an application was against my principles.
Support is usually more on top of all the technical ins and outs than anyone else - we do make an effort to document all known solutions in our knowledge base but there are some that get missed.  I think in this case we can apply Hanlon's Razor 🙂
And another thing. Any legitimate self-respecting company that had any respect for its customer base (paying customer, in my case), would simply post a solution to the forum and not require the trouble ticket BS and keep the fix a secret from their users. I could have dug the activation code out of my files and re-entered it, or re-upped online, but tolerating this behavior in an application was against my principles.
This Works!!!

My wife's Mac was unusable becasue of this problem, and I could not even kill this S.O.B. from a command line.
So I resorted to a tried and true method that could not fail.  

Target Disk Mode.

You need another Mac (both of them Firewire equipped) to do it. Connect the two Macs using a firewire cable and reboot the infected Mac while holding down the T key.  It will come up as a firewire hard drive on the uninfected Mac (might even work with a PC as the other computer, but I have never tried that).  

Then you just navigate to the Webroot application container int he Applications folder, drag it to the trash, and then empty the trash.

When you reboot again, voila!  Webroot is dead and gone. Finito. Kaput. Good riddance.
Userlevel 7
Hi Web_Rot2

Welcome to the Community Forums...:):)

From what you are saying it seems to me that your best course of action would be, as suggested to previous posters to this thread, that you Open a Support Ticket as soon as possible and allow the Support Team to look into this for you.  They are the experts in this area and should be able to assist.

Regards

Baldrick
I fully agree, this program (Malware?) is a nightmare to remove. I have a full (non-trial) version given to me by a bank and it keeps on opening shutting and reopening over and over. Thus I decided to remove it and it seems impossible to get rid off. Deleting it leaves a plist file in trash that can not be removed.

I've tried everything suggested and really am pretty annoyed that I need to spend so much time removing something that has hijacked my system.
Glad to be here!
Userlevel 7
Hi Web_Rot

Welcome to the Community Fora...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_bouncing2.gif

I have to agree with Dermot on this one...and say well done for your patience...and do make sure that you either replciate the above in your Support Ticket Submission or better still (and to save you time) include a url link to your post so they can pick up on what you have outlined to us.

Keep us posted on how things go re. this issue as feedback, either way, is helpful to us in helping users in the future with the same or similar issues.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi. Well thanks for such a dramatic account of an attempt to uninstall an app! :D

I'd say if the usual ways of install/uninstall are not working for you, then you should contact support: the official Webroot support system