Solved

Cannot download. Get "Failed - Virus scan failed" message - what settings in Webroot do I change?

• 13 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Totally frustrated. I keep trying to download exe files (legit apps) to run but it says “Failed - Virus scan failed”.  I cannot find anything in Webroot to change to allow me to accept them

icon

Best answer by girbucks 22 March 2021, 22:13

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @tampawinters 

It doesn’t sound like a Webroot issue but does sound like a Smart Screen issue. Can you turn off WSA and see if the issue remains? Right Click on the Webroot Icon down by the Clock and Shut Down Protection.

SmartScreen: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-app-has-been-blocked-your-protection-windows-10

You my need to do a clean reinstall of WSA.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Badge +3

Thanks - I was able to shutdown and install GoToMeeting-like software. However when I attempted to uninstall the app via control panel it is prompting me for a password that can w Best Buy when we purchased  computer.  I bought new license via Webroot directly today and that password does t work in the pop up console. So I cannot uninstall then reinstall. I don’t know how to recover or reset password from Best Buy version. Any suggestions?  I really appreciate your help, too.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @tampawinters 

You can use this to uninstall via the RUN Command just copy and paste.

"C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe" -uninstall

If that doesn’t work you can try this in Safe Mode with Networking read more here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

HTH,

We are having the same issues with virus scan failed. We do not use IE or Edge and smart screen is disabled. Our computers are in a Domain environment and we install webroot via PDQ Deploy. I can suspend protection and download files with no problem. I can also uninstall webroot and reinstall it and it will work for a time, but then it will go back to failing to let files or programs from being downloaded.

go to your Webroot dashboard --» Identity Protection (gear icon) --» Application Protection tab --» Add Application button then add your browser’s exe file. Tag it as ‘Allow’

I shutdown Webroot and start it again on a customer’s computer and the downloads worked fine!