Solved

Cannot download. Get "Failed - Virus scan failed" message - what settings in Webroot do I change?

• 13 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Totally frustrated. I keep trying to download exe files (legit apps) to run but it says “Failed - Virus scan failed”.  I cannot find anything in Webroot to change to allow me to accept them

icon

Best answer by girbucks 22 March 2021, 22:13

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @tampawinters 

It doesn’t sound like a Webroot issue but does sound like a Smart Screen issue. Can you turn off WSA and see if the issue remains? Right Click on the Webroot Icon down by the Clock and Shut Down Protection.

SmartScreen: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-app-has-been-blocked-your-protection-windows-10

You my need to do a clean reinstall of WSA.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @tampawinters 

You can use this to uninstall via the RUN Command just copy and paste.

"C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe" -uninstall

If that doesn’t work you can try this in Safe Mode with Networking read more here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

HTH,

go to your Webroot dashboard --» Identity Protection (gear icon) --» Application Protection tab --» Add Application button then add your browser’s exe file. Tag it as ‘Allow’

Badge +3

Thanks - I was able to shutdown and install GoToMeeting-like software. However when I attempted to uninstall the app via control panel it is prompting me for a password that can w Best Buy when we purchased  computer.  I bought new license via Webroot directly today and that password does t work in the pop up console. So I cannot uninstall then reinstall. I don’t know how to recover or reset password from Best Buy version. Any suggestions?  I really appreciate your help, too.  

We are having the same issues with virus scan failed. We do not use IE or Edge and smart screen is disabled. Our computers are in a Domain environment and we install webroot via PDQ Deploy. I can suspend protection and download files with no problem. I can also uninstall webroot and reinstall it and it will work for a time, but then it will go back to failing to let files or programs from being downloaded.

I shutdown Webroot and start it again on a customer’s computer and the downloads worked fine!