Solved

chromebooks

• 25 January 2013
  • 9 replies

Does webroot secure anywhere support a Samsung Chromebook?  If so, what version do I download?
icon

Best answer by explanoit 26 January 2013, 00:40

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Webroot SecureAnywhere will not presently work on a ChromeBook.  The Chrome OS is Linux-based.

These are the current system requirements:

Operating Systems

• Microsoft® Windows® XP 32- and 64-bit SP2, SP3
  • Windows Vista® 32-bit (all Editions), Windows Vista SP1, SP2 32- and 64-bit (all Editions)
  • Windows 7 32- and 64-bit (all Editions), Windows 7 SP1 32- and 64-bit (all Editions)
  • Windows 8 32-and 64-bit
  • Mac OS® X v.10.7 "Lion"
  • Mac OS X v. 10.8 " Mountain Lion"

Minimum System Requirements

• Intel®Pentium®/Celeron® family, or AMD® K6/Athlon™/Duron™ family, or other compatible processor
  • 128 MB RAM (minimum)
  • 10 MB Hard Disk Space
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0 and higher, Mozilla® Firefox® 3.6 and higher
  • Google Chrome™ browser 10.0 or higher
  • Apple® Safari® 5.0.1 or higher
  • Internet access
If you would like to suggest that WSA should work on a ChromeBook, please submit the idea in the Ideas Exchange.
Userlevel 7
Jim,

Would porting WSA to Chromebook sort of dovetail into my comment regarding a Recovery CD, and having such CD ported on Linux?  https:///t5/Ideas-Exchange/Recovery-CD/idc-p/22948#M800
Userlevel 7
Not necessarily, but maybe. The Chrome OS is a unique kind of Linux. Android phones for that matter are also Linux-based, but you wouldn't necessarily expect something that runs on Ubuntu to run on Android. It's a sensible factor to think about in both requests though. Theoretically, if you could kill two birds with one stone, that would be optimal, but the technology behind that would need to be investigated a bit further. Good thought.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Chromebooks are specifically designed to not need antivirus, and antivirus would never be permitted to run on a Chromebook by Google. Antivirus on a Chromebook is against the ethos of the product.

In addition, in consumer mode you would never be able to install any applications, especially not something as low level as antivirus. The operating system is mounted as read only.

You can read the technical overview of these features and design desicions on this page. http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/security-overview

Although recommended on normal consumer machines with fairly permissive user abilities, antivirus is not a universal requirement for secure systems. But your instinct of wanting antivirus protection on your machines is not a bad thing to have.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for that Chromebook detail, explainoit. You answered some of my questions that I did not even know I had!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You're welcome!

Chromebooks are a very cool technology and I highly recommend them to people who only use their computer for web browsing. They are definately the most secure option available to consumers and only cost ~200 dollars. If you have parents who bank online I highly recommend you look into them. 
Userlevel 7
This sounds like something my wife could use.

I may have to look in to it. Then maybe I can get my laptop back! ;)
Userlevel 7
Now if this happens, we may have to start paying close attention because then Android and ChromeOS would be the same thing...

Google shuffle: can Android and Chrome OS combine to take on Microsoft?

Google's Sundar Pichai has been on a tear lately.

As VP of Chrome and Apps, Pichai's been stacking successes: the Chrome browser leads web usage on desktops, Google's apps on iOS are amongst the best-designed anywhere, and the Chromebook Pixel has shown just what the company can do when it puts its mind to a product at the (very) high-end. Now, with Andy Rubin moving on to "a new chapter" within Google, Pichai's next job is to "double down on Android," according to CEO Larry Page.

What exactly will that mean? Most likely, it will mean that Google will merge Chrome OS and Android together into a single operating system. It won't happen right away, and it will require Pichai to manage and integrate two different teams with potentially different philosophies about the future of computing, but if he can pull if off, Google's platform will be in direct competition with Windows as the biggest mainstream operating system in the world. And while it's easy to spin up cotton-candy dreams of a future OS, the building blocks already available to Google offer up real potential for this OS to become just as dominant as Android itself.

Full article from theverge.com: http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/4100160/google-shuffle-can-android-and-chrome-os-combine-to-take-on-microsoft

Interesting story, and very relevant to this discussion.  It makes sense.  Google owns both operating systems, and they both have their ups and downs that could mutually benefit each other.  The market would probably respond well to such a move with the current major competition being Windows 8.

It doesn't sound like it will happen right away, but it's nice to know this is something they are moving towards.
Badge +1

So basically in the event that Chromium OS and Android OS merge, the Webroot team might consider adding support to the Chromium OS/Android community. Correct me if I’m wrong but unless you enable the built in Developer mode, you won’t be able to install third party applications unless it’s through the play store, which even then isn’t supported on all Chromebooks.