Solved

Clipboard App Doesn't Popup During Identity Protection

• 27 December 2012
  • 13 replies

I use Clipmate as my Windows Clipboard manager and it has a hotkey to pop it up to the foreground window.

But with Identity Protection enabled, when I am using a "protected" app, the hotkey combination does not work and Clipmate does not popup.

Is there a way to add this (or any program) to an exclusion/trusted list?

I'm running Windows 8 x64.

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by JimM 13 February 2013, 20:16

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
You can try switching the protected Clipmate processes from Protect to Allow which leaves some ID shield functionality. Please let me know your results. :D

Open SecureAnywhere>click the Identity & Privacy tab>click View/Edit Protected Applications>switch your Clipmate processes to Allow
No, that doesn't work, but let me try to make sure I am clearer with my issue.

ClipMate is a background app that is always minmized to the system tray.  I press Ctrl+Alt+C and its window then pops up in the foreground.

Now, let's say I'm in IE which, according to Webroot SecureAnywhere, is a protected app, then when I press the hotkey for ClipMate, it does not pop up.  In other words, whenever I'm in IE or any protected app that causes the Webroot Secure Anywhere to be the icon with the lock symbol in the system tray, then the hotkey to bring up ClipMate does not work.

If I shutdown Webroot SecureAnywhere or if I am NOT in a protected app (i.e., the webroot icon is just the standard W icon), then the hotkey to popup ClipMate works.
Userlevel 7
The Identity Shield protects users from potentially malicious programs that capture screen images and data. Please follow the steps below and let me know if the setting was already checked.

Open SecureAnywhere>select Settings>select Advanced Settings>select Identity Sheld>make sure that the option "Allow trusted screen capture programs access to protected screen contents" is checked.

Hi,

That was one of the first things I enabled after encountering the problem and it is still not allowing ClipMate to popup.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I use Clipmate as my Windows Clipboard manager and it has a hotkey to pop it up to the foreground window.

But with Identity Protection enabled, when I am using a "protected" app, the hotkey combination does not work and Clipmate does not popup.

Is there a way to add this (or any program) to an exclusion/trusted list?

I'm running Windows 8 x64.

Thanks.
Can you try to lower configuration for HTTP websites to LOW (Identity & Privacy -> View/Edit Protected Websites).
Userlevel 7
If switching the Clipmate processes to Allow and "Allowing trusted screen capture programs access to protected screen contents" is enabled, the next route would be to Open a Support Ticket so that our technicians can investigate further using additional resources within our support system.
Hi,

Setting config to LOW didn't solve it; the issue still remains.

I did create a ticket and the team has been very responsive, but the last reply from them indicated that they were unable to reproduce the problem and wanted to remote control into my PC.

I'm not certain about their efforts to reproduce the problem because one of the first things I did was to use a second PC to test it and I was able to reproduce the problem.  Furthermore, I'm very security-concious and I hate providing remote-control into my PC to unknown/untrusted partis.  I only do it on exceptional and critical situiations where I am unable to work and this issue certainly doesn't rise to that level.

Although I have a workaround, it is still annoying and at this point, whether the support folks actually downloaded and tested ClipMate or not, I'll switch to Norton.

I actually tried other clipboard managers, so that I could stick with Webroot, but I've been using ClipMate for years and the other tools I tried don't come close and I didn't like any of them.  So, since ClipMate has to stay, then I need to use an Antivirus that is compatible with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Don't worry about remote sessions they are very professional they don't go looking at any personal things at all and you see everything that is going on as I had many of them during the Beta Testing that some of us do and it does help them find the answer to many problems that could help others! ;)

TH
I'm sure they are professional and, like I stated earlier, they've been very responsive but I just don't like letting others into my system, period.

Furthermore, based on their last ticket response, I am skeptical about whether or not they actually went to download and try ClipMate to see if they could reproduce the problem.  I didn't get a "we tried it and it is working fine for us, so can we remote into your system?" type of response.

Still, in the end, even if they did it and it truly does work for them, then it must be me and my environment and I've done my part by reporting the issue.  As it certainly is not a mission-critical issue that's preventing me from working or is significantly hampering my productivity, then it certainly doesn't warrant me allowing a remote-control session.

Thus, it is now up to me to find and implement myh own permanent solution.
Userlevel 7
nuspieds wrote: Although I have a workaround, it is still annoying and at this point, whether the support folks actually downloaded and tested ClipMate or not, I'll switch to Norton.

Hello nuspieds, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D
As a long time user of Norton, I would like to suggest that if you intend to go the Norton route Please read their forum before switching. Norton 2013 is having many many problems with their software. Just wanted to give you a heads up. 😉
Hi ProTruckDriver,

Thanks but so far, so good; it isn't causing me any issues.

In addition, it's great to have my Clipboard Manager utility accessible via its hotkeys again! 😃
Userlevel 7
There were some improvements in 8.0.2.105 that may help deal with this kind of issue.

In the improved list:

Please let us know if this improvement helps you out.
Thanks for the tip, but I've already made the switch and I'm happy with Norton, so I'm sticking with it.