Control Active Processes

The newsreader I'm using is set to allow on control active processes however it is still blocking it from the Internet it requires me to set it to monitor then back to allow for it to allow this program.

I contacted support by phone about this problem (name M__e he was obnoxious ) and the and he did not want to hear what is was talking about.
He keep saying ( and over talking me) that you should not touch any of those buttons and webroot would do it automatically. Well if sure the heck wasn't  and the only reason that I touched the buttons cause webroot was blocking a program that was marked as allowed. He then said the only way to fix it was to reinstall webroot 'cause it will default to block if the buttons have been changed at all and you will have to manually change it each time. Sounds to me that this is a flaw in the program.User control of processes but not really.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry you had a bad support experience.  I've reached out to the support team to contact you and see if we can help you a bit better this time around.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello frazid and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums! 

Sorry you had a bad experience and as Nic said he will have a chat with support as your issue could be a simple one of just getting some files Whitelisted so can you please Submit a Support Ticket so they can gather your scan log and whitelist what needs be also they will let you know if it was the cause of your issue.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
I have already reinstalled webroot twice and is now working. 1st time it ask if I wanted to keep my prior settings and I said yes and it still locked out my news reader so I'm guessing that uninstall doesn't remove all of the webroot files. Second time I didn't do that and it appears to be allowing my newsreader to operate. There is nothing in the log files after the uninstall.

Also I submitted at ticket late last year about using secure erase. At that time when you erased a short cut it also deleted the target file .ie .exe file. The last reply that I received that it would be fixed in the next release.
Do you know it that issue been fixed?
Userlevel 7
Hi frazld

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D

I have just tried your Secure Erase scenario and can advised that if you erase a shortcut then the actual target of the shortcut, i.e., folder, .exe, whatever the short relates to, etc. , IS erased, but the shortcut is untouched.  IF you then try to Secure Erase the shortcut WSA will advise that you are attempting to erase a shortcut and if yo say 'Yes' then will erase it.

So it still seems to be the way that you advised in your post.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I have already reinstalled webroot twice and is now working. 1st time it ask if I wanted to keep my prior settings and I said yes and it still locked out my news reader so I'm guessing that uninstall doesn't remove all of the webroot files. Second time I didn't do that and it appears to be allowing my newsreader to operate. There is nothing in the log files after the uninstall.

Also I submitted at ticket late last year about using secure erase. At that time when you erased a short cut it also deleted the target file .ie .exe file. The last reply that I received that it would be fixed in the next release.
Do you know it that issue been fixed?
Yes that is another thing if you have issues and when you do a clean reinstall with a Reboot in between don't import any settings and just set it up as you like after reinstall! note: It's always best to Reboot after uninstall before re- installing WSA again!

Daniel
No
This was last year, And the senerio is:
Secure erase shortcut from desktop, confrimation box says do you want to delete these files (this hasn't changed) and if answer yes it deletes the short cut and the target file, it only deletes the target and shortcut not anyother files related to the shortcut programs.
It should delete only the shortcut and not the related target.
There is no file structure underling the shortcut.

The last reply on my trouble ticket was that it would be fixed on the next release version etc.
Userlevel 7
Beg to differ; I created a new folder and then created a shortcut of that folder.  I then tried to Secure Erase the shortcut but the folder was erased and the shortcut remained.

Just tried it again and it did the above again. :S  Try my scenario and see if you can replicate it, then let me know what is different between yours and mine and I will try to replicate yours on my system. :D
Yes.
The way if was doing last year was it would delete the shortcut and the target file in my case was the .exe file to some of my programs.
Yep it did the same thing as you said.
I think this is odd behaviour.

So it looks like that they changed it but didn't fix it correctly.

I think it should be just delete the short cut.

I'm going to create new trouble ticket.
Userlevel 7
Agreed...what should be deleted is the item that one has right clicked on and selected the Secure Erase action on; if the shortcut then only the shortcut, if the target then only the target...should not be too difficult to achieve that...or so you would think. :(
Yea just did one of my programs and it deleted the exe file and and kept the short cut. opening ticket now
Userlevel 7
Cool, keep us posted on what response you get with that...I for one am very interested.

Cheers

Baldrick
Yea me too.

It is even more scarry its deleting the file folder now.
Thank god it wasn't word or excell it would all be gone.
As of today NOTHING has been done to resolve these issues.
Issue 1: Creat folder on desktop then create and save text file inside of folder.
                Right click text file inside of the folder select permanently erase with web root and
                webroot deletes file and the folder.
Issue 2: DONT do this unless you make a back up copy to the ,exe file in a different location.
                Select short cut icon from desk top, right click and select permanently erase with web root
                webroot deletes the short cut and the targeted .exe file but leaves the program folder and files intact.

Here is the original trouble ticket request and reply (almost 4 months ago)

Your Message (Nov 20, 2013 23:08)
Programs being un installed

OK. I figured out why the programs were being uninstalled.
When you "Permanently erase with Webroot" a shortcut on your desk top it also erases the .exe file associated with the short cut.
Now I need to check that all my programs have their .exe files.
I usually move the short cut to the task bar and then delete the one on the desk top.
It should only erase the short cut.
I haven't found any documentation that says other wise.

Please advise

Webroot Support (Nov 21, 2013 19:25)
RE:Cookies

Hello,

Thank you for bringing the issue you are experiencing with Secure Erase to our attention. The Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue and is currently working on a resolution. We expect to address this issue in an upcoming software version release, which will be downloaded automatically to your computer and installed when it is available.

Once the newer version has been installed, check to see if the issue you reported is still occurring. If it is, let us know and we will check the status of the issue. You may contact us by phone by clicking here and choosing the sales number for the location that works best for you, or online at support.webroot.com.

The cookies are optional, they just remember your email and password in case you need to contact us again.

Thank you,

The Webroot Support Team
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
As of today NOTHING has been done to resolve these issues.
Issue 1: Creat folder on desktop then create and save text file inside of folder.
                Right click text file inside of the folder select permanently erase with web root and
                webroot deletes file and the folder.
Issue 2: DONT do this unless you make a back up copy to the ,exe file in a different location.
                Select short cut icon from desk top, right click and select permanently erase with web root
                webroot deletes the short cut and the targeted .exe file but leaves the program folder and files intact.
You might update your trouble ticket and request an update from Support, however please note that when I program defect has been possibly noted, it can take some time to

1) Fully replicate the problem, testing for all OS and situations that may be affected
2) Code the fix
3) Fully test the fix
4) Deploy the fix

Some problems can be fixed very quickly, but some are more complicated and can take longer to fix and deploy.

If you do hear from Support with an update, please let us know what they say.  :)
Thank you for your reply.
I understand the time and sysyems requirements. But seems to me it should be easy just delete the file I select and nothing else. It doesnt delete any other files or folder, just on the desk top. I'm glad Ididnt have any critical folders on the desktop
Userlevel 7
Question:  Your copy of the reply from Support indicates that as your WSA has updated, you should check to see if it has been resolved, and if not reply to check on the status.

Have you done this?  
Yes its been updated cause they closed it out.
I quess you work for webroot.
I know i could have stayed with crap norton.
But no I got to go with some outfit that dont give a **bleep**.
This should be pretty easy fix it you want to do it. BTW i'm not the only one either.
Just like not fixing the problem with cut and paste. That has happened either.
WTF your just going to delete what ever you want and not give  a sh_t.
You just like the parent with the fu kid that says my kid is perfect.
Userlevel 7
1) If you reply to the Ticket, it will be re-opened.  Reply to it as suggested.

2) I do NOT work for Webroot.  I am only a volunteer.  If I DID work for Webroot, I would have been able to SEE if you had replied to the ticket as suggested and would not have to ask you if you had.

3) if you reply to the Ticket, it will be re-opened.  Reply to it as suggested.

4) I am merely trying to help... there is no need to take an offensive attitude with me.

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
OH @ Nice way to end up the evening? Hopefully we can HELP this guy OUT! Sorry being protective!!!

GoodNight, C ya Tomorrow, Thanks for all you do..

Sincerely,
 Sherry