Solved

Credit card breach online Sam's Club

• 22 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Got email from Sam’s Club Mastercard associated with Synchrony Bank that I made a large electronic purchase and it was being sent to my name (correct) and my phone number was correct also. BUT THE ADDRESS WAS 45 MILES AWAY, not mine.  I stopped the sale by calling and it was cancelled.  My issue is what to do next.  I never use this card except Sam’s Club. Inside and at their antiquated gas station next door.   I buy limited amount of goods.  I only went online once to buy a pair of jeans not in the store. 

My card number was changed, I might add after I called.  I checked all  other bills online since I shop that way all the time

Problem:  How might this have happened and would other cards be now at risk?  Is my private info at risk? I don’t know what to expect. My computer is not showing any breach with your software. I seem safe.  I check all the time.  I am an online shopper I will admit and am now a bit scared and concerned. What info COULD SOMEONE NOW HAVE ON ME.  And just to add I do have Lifelook… not even sure why.    

icon

Best answer by DanP 22 November 2019, 18:27

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35

Hello @bonnielu 

It is difficult to say how this may have happened, there are many ways that Credit Card data can be stolen. From what you have described it, an “antiquated gas station” could be a tempting location for a criminal to install a credit card skimmer, but that is pure speculation. 

Here’s a fairly recent article on Credit Card Skimmers and how to spot and avoid them:

https://www.pcmag.com/article/328010/how-to-spot-and-avoid-credit-card-skimmers

If you think it may have been stolen online you can Submit A Support Ticket and we can have a look at your computer. 

-Dan

Badge +3

Hi, Dan.  Thanks so much for your reply.  I do have your service but is there an extra charge for you checking my computer?  I am so frazzled about this since all I did was buy one pair of jeans online.  And we went to Sams for gas and then backed out.  Pump nozzle and hose did not reach.  Then we went into Sams Club to buy next to nothing.  I  am wondering if 1.  We were compromised at the pump 2.  Compromised in the checkout line  3.  Someone had a way to scan our  wallet or our card as we shopped.  OR online 4  if we were compromised just looking for those jeans and making the purchase.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +35

Hi, Dan.  Thanks so much for your reply.  I do have your service but is there an extra charge for you checking my computer?  I am so frazzled about this since all I did was buy one pair of jeans online.  And we went to Sams for gas and then backed out.  Pump nozzle and hose did not reach.  Then we went into Sams Club to buy next to nothing.  I  am wondering if 1.  We were compromised at the pump 2.  Compromised in the checkout line  3.  Someone had a way to scan our  wallet or our card as we shopped.  OR online 4  if we were compromised just looking for those jeans and making the purchase.  

There is no extra charge for support.

-Dan

Badge +3

I will get to it tomorrow.  Thanks so much for  your support.