Solved

Did anyone notice a huge lag with WSA AV's latest build?

• 24 February 2014
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 4
The first time I tried Webroot, it made my system feel as if there was no AV and I loved it! so light.

The latest 2 versions released caused my system to feel so sluggish. Especially when installing a program, it would take double the time to initialize the installation. Every install of WSA was on a clean Windows 7 or 8.1 installation.

It's the same system that I'm running just been running through a big delimma finding the right drivers so I formatted a lot but now finally ASUS released the official drivers for my G750JX laptop so I know i'm good. But what's up with the lag?

I have just formatted, installed Windows 8.1, and I am hesistant to install WSA again
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 25 February 2014, 18:51

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
All versions come from the same download and the Keycode determines which product you have and turns on those features like WSA-Gamer, WSA-ISP and WSA-Complete so I can say I see no slow downs at all.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hi MaXimus

How are things?

I have to say that I have noticed no lag (as far as I can tell) with the latest versions of WSA installed (that is .63 BTW, under Wiin7 64bit).  I have not checked my Win8.1 32bit system but I will look into that shortly...I hope.  

Are you running 64bit or 32bit Win8.1?  And if the former then I assume that you are aware about the ongoing issue that some users are having with Explorer.exe apparently consuming significantly larger than usual/expected resources?

I am wondering if this might in some way be linked with what yo are reporting?

Will get back to you if I notice anything from my test.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Hi bro, I am running Windows 8.1 Single Language (x64)

Laptop specs are:

ASUS G750JX-CV050H
CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900

I have 32 GB Ram so I am the least worried about WSA consuming much RAM in explorer.exe

but you guys feel your system snapiness was the same as opposed to previous versions of WSA?

PS: as a tweaking guru, the way I see it, the more RAM the AV consumed the better, since it would run its operations from RAM as opposed to from the HDD/SSD. Most people these days have 4 GB + RAM so me personally, I would love my security product to use as much RAM as it can to keep its operations fast.

just my 2 cents worth
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I noticed something similar right after I installed WSA on my gaming machine.  I just assumed it was indexing a bunch of new stuff - after a reboot it was fine again.  Are you getting this over and over?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great Question Nic I know WSA doesn't ask for a reboot but I always recommend a reboot after a clean install or update!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Great tip, Daniel...something that one does not really think about because of how quickly and easily WSA installs.  I will have to remember that one and make sure that I suggest it going forward.

Cheers
Userlevel 4
Good suggestion about the reboot I forgot to do that (I *think*)

@Nic, I know something isn't normal. Because you know my reviews and how highly I think of WSA especially that when I tested it, it was the lightest AV on the planet. something just feels different about this latest build but I wish I can give you a clearer picture or something to submit to tech support. I will install it again then reboot, then tell you if my system still feels sluggish.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks, let us know.  If you're still having problems then I can open a ticket and have support troubleshoot with you.
Userlevel 4
Just installed WSA, restarted

now I launched Adobe Illustrator, it took like 1 minute to start instead of the usual 5 seconds. This is on an SSD with a system with 32 GB RAM and an i7 3 GHz. CPU!

when I started it, the usual files that load in seconds, now took ages to load and I could see them slowly changing and loading as you can see highlighted in this pic: http://tinypic.com/r/24nfvhs/8

WSA was never like this before this and the last update. v8.0.4.46 was way snappier

PS: Just loaded Photoshop CS6, same exact slow down
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you please do a scan then Save a Scan Log and give approximately the amount of [u] files you have meaning Unknown? As most should be [g] meaning Good.

Example:

[u] c:program files (x86)urnaware premiuma6premium.dll [MD5: 963B475168BA4A72CAC6E1717C998AE3] [Flags: 08081000.3990]
[u] c:program files (x86)malwarebytes anti-malwareqtnetwork4.dll [MD5: 6396E1FA524FA9EC927BB6A9AAB98D91] [Flags: 00001000.3987]
[u] c:program files (x86)malwarebytes anti-malware7z.dll [MD5: B732DDE371453D02029FE387B9E23E9A] [Flags: 00001000.3989]

Also try a few scans and reboot 2 more times then try opening your programs to see if it's fine as you know I have SSD's and nothing is slow opening on my system.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 4
Here's the log file bro:

I Removed the link please see my PM! TH

When downloading the file, do not choose to download using DATA FILE HOST's downloader, just download it normally
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok I got it can you remove the link from your post as there some private info and I will send you a PM!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You have many unknown files so contact support to get them whitelisted and I see many from Adobe so that's why it opens slow!

Daniel
Userlevel 4
Thanks a lot bro! I would've never figured this out on my own.

I sent support a message

cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Your very Welcome and let us know how things are after Whitelisting!

Cheers,

Daniel  😉
Userlevel 7
I am going through your KC now. I will post when I am done.
Userlevel 7
Ok thats done, there was quite a large number of U`s in your scan logs so that explains your issue. I have emailed you a copy of the instructions. 

1. Open SecureAnywhere and click the 'cog' beside 'PC Security'.
2. On the Scan & Shields tab, select Custom Scan.
3. Select deep scan from the Customized Scan Window and Click Start Scan
Userlevel 4
very happy with the speed of response!! I now tried to launch Adobe Illustrator and it took only 3 seconds to launch as opposed to the previous 30 seconds!! wow!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sounds like we need to dig into this.  Have you opened a support ticket yet?  If not I can open one up for you and have them give you a call if you like.
Userlevel 7
Did you post in the wrong thread nic 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Did you post in the wrong thread nic :)
I must have posted without seeing there was a whole extra page of posts 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@MaXimus wrote:
very happy with the speed of response!! I now tried to launch Adobe Illustrator and it took only 3 seconds to launch as opposed to the previous 30 seconds!! wow!!
Great to hear that Roy whitelisted your files and the speed is back! :D

Cheers,

Daniel