Solved

Did Webroot just ask for permission to make changes to my computer?

• 13 September 2015
  • 15 replies

Have never before been requested to allow Webroot to make changes.  I agreed because I could not proceed using my computer until I did, however I am concerned.
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 23 June 2020, 17:55

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Alexandra, welcome to the Community, 

No need to be worried.  Webroot updates automatically, and while often there is no need to agree to changes, once in a while the update does require that we provide permission.  It is quite normal to see that once in a while.  Most of the time when it updates you will not even notice 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
?That's an interesting bit of info David. WR has not asked me to agree to the several automatic updates that have taken place but at least I will not be suprised if/when it happens. Any idea why WR occasionally asks permission?

Nemo
Userlevel 7
?  I am no programmer, so this is but only a guess.  Sometimes when core funtions are changed I THINK that WSA needs to change the registry settings for how WSA works, and that requires your permission.

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
?That makes sense but if an updated version needs to make sensitive changes on one computer then it will make them to all. Yet it only occasionally asks for permission to do so; I was merely wondering how WR chooses who and when to ask. Let it remain one of life's many mysteries!  😃
Userlevel 7
Hi David

I believe that you are correct in that very occassionally the update requires some permissions or perhaps the update is running under a user that is not an amind account and therefore requries permissions...it's that UAC rubbish again...LOL.

We have had some instances of this in the past and the advice has generally been...nothing to worry about/if concerned open a support ticket so that the Support Team can check/reassure, etc.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
I am always on an Admin account.. and I see it ask me here and there.  Not usually, just once in a while 🙂
Why is it bussinesses tend to minimise? Web root asks me at least five times a day or more for permission; almost everytime I turn on my computer.  You said occationally it will ask for permission. I am sure now you will say my problem is unique. Minimazation, denial and gaslighting.
In fact my computer does ask several times a day for permission to change my computer. The responce by webroot makes me think of not ever getting this software again. I don't do well with a company of expert minimisers.
In fact my computer does ask several times a day for webroot to change my computer. The responce by webroot makes me think of not ever getting this software again. I don't do well with a company of expert minimisers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Hi @

This doesn't seem to be normal behavior. Please contact support so that they can troubleshoot for you. Thank you!
Ok I will contact support. If I get the run around or minimazation or denail I'll never get web root again for sure. You did minimise in your responces to others though as I noted before.
Ok I will contact support. If I get the run around or minimazation or denail I'll never get web root again for sure. You did minimise in your responces to others though as I noted before and did not answer the question on this site asks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +14
I have followed this dialogue with some interest. I have been a user/customer of Webroot since March 2013 & I have never been asked by Webroot to allow changes to my PC. The only possibly related incident was when Webroot was dealing with the recent CPU vulnerability problem. When I hit the link provided in Community I did get the familiar Microsoft pop up box 'Do you wish to allow Webroot [under its fullcommercial name] to allow changes to my hard drive'. I had not expected this & being definiitely not being IT literate I abandoned that activity. However when my 'techie' visisted to carry out the necessary change that message did not appear, but in the interim Microsoft had issued an Urgent update so all went smoothly.
As a general observation I have found the support from Community experts & from Webroot 'techies' first class, invariably willing to help the less IT competeant like myself with simple step-by-step giudes, and being friendly & professional. I have also had remote links with Webroot 'techies'. Each one I have spoken to has been very friendly and happy to chat. So as matters stand I expect to stay with Webrot for years to come.

My webroot has been asking me everytime I boot my computer whether it can make changes to my computer. So far I’ve had four techs from Geek Squad connect to my computer and none could fix it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Jweber1 

Can you please Submit a Support Ticket to Webroot support and ask them what you should do and they will help you.

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue and support can take up to 48 hours to reply or a little longer because of COVID-19.

Thanks,