Solved

Email contacts hijacked

• 22 February 2014
  • 14 replies

My wife's email account "forwarded" emails to  her contact list last night. We have WebRoot on all our devices. I've scanned both phones and both laptops---no threats. What should I try now?  
icon

Best answer by nic 24 February 2014, 17:18

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi mwinchell

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D

Sorry to hear about your wife's problem.   I would suggest that your first port of call is to contact your ISP or email service provider, if not the same, and report what you have experienced as they should be able to investigate in their back end systems to see if it is something that has occurred on their servers.

If WSA is coming up clean and with no other manifestation of an issue then I do not think that there is much that can be done from the Webroot end until it has been clarified that the issue originated on you PC.

One of the other users here may beg to differ/advise otherwise...but that is what I would do in the first instance. @ is there some other avenue that you could suggest is followed here?

Please post back and let us know what transpires, etc., and if it needs further investigation from the Webroot end.

Regards

Baldrick
Thank you Baldrick. It is a yahoo email account. Wouldn't the problem be widespread if it was on thier end?
 I did not open the one that came to me last night.     
Userlevel 7
Hi wimchell

You may well be right  and if that is the case then I would suggest that you Open a Support Ticket including all the detail that you have and see if the Support Team will take a look for you.  You may have to wait until the start of the working week as I do not believe that they are available for this sort of thing over the weekend...but I am sure if I am incorrect then someone will pipe up on the subject.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
While it is possible that an item of malware was missed, and so you might consider filing a Trouble Ticket, it could very well be simply that the Yahoo account was hacked without the use of malware, or have been accessed as a result of a Yahoo side hack.
Userlevel 7
Another recent Yahoo Side Hack
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello mwimchell and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Can you tell us if you are using an Email Client like Windows Mail, Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird etc or just online with a Browser and if it's a Browser please let us know which one? My ISP uses Yahoo for there email and it happened to me as I have my email going through my email Client Outlook 2013 and I know it wasn't sent from my computer so I removed all the contacts from the online mail so it can't do that anymore and Yes I have contacted Yahoo and is does happen like the Links that David posted above unfortunately.

Thanks,

Daniel
She uses Explorer to go to yahoo. Her phone is Android and she uses Explorer on it also. She has outlook on the laptop, but does not use it.  
She also uses a Yahoo mail app on the phone.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The best thing to do is change the password ASAP and if it happens again contact Yahoo to let them know because it's nothing on your system causing this!

Regards,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I've had my Yahoo breached a couple of times and I only ever use the web client.  Changing the password does the trick.  Basically someone managed to log into your account and send that malware, so it isn't likely that the attack is happening on your PC, especially since your scan came up clean.
Thank you to all who helped out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So are you sorted now did you contact Yahoo and changed your passwords?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Yes, she changed her Yahoo password.  So far we think no new emails have been sent without her involvement. (at least I haven't received any, and no one has contacted us about it). Thanks again.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear and your very welcome!

Thanks,

Daniel 😃