Solved

Erroneous message stating Webroot subscription is expired

• 27 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
  • Fresh Face
  • 3 replies

I have been using the WebRoot PC security software for six years and renewing on a yearly basis.  I recently renewed for 1 year in January 2023.  Suddenly in late February 2023, a message is displayed on the WebRoot console message window stating that the subscription is expired, even though the status window still shows that the subscription is “Active” and the pc is “Protected”.  A second popup window also shows the subscription expired, renew now message.  I contacted customer support and the agent, although friendly, was unable to solve the issue.  He wanted to “remote in” to my computer, which I was extremely leery of.  He finally told me to ignore the erroneous messages as long as the software was running ok.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get rid of the erroneous message?  

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 1 March 2023, 19:11

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Hello @JGS 

EDIT: Before you try a Clean Install let me ping our Community Manager and see if he can see the back end of your account if there are any problems. @TylerM 

Did you try a “Clean Install”? That usually solves problems.

Please do a clean reinstall of WSA on your Windows Computer.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Go into Safe Mode and Delete these Folders if they are there!
  • C:\Program Files\Webroot Folder
  • C:\ProgramData\WRData Folder (Hidden Folder)
  • C:\ProgramData\WRCore Folder (Hidden Folder)
  • Boot back into normal mode
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Info in case you don’t know how to go into Safe Mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I considered re-installing the software.  However, when I log into the Webroot Management Console (https://my.webrootanywhere.com/home.aspx), the keycode is listed as Expired under the Days Remaining tab.  I am concerned that if I uninstall the current software, which is running ok with the exception of the error message, that a fresh install of the software will not run at all.  I might just have to live with the error message for now.

Thanks for the reply.

Userlevel 7

Your Webroot Management Console has to be fixed. The reply from Support : “He finally told me to ignore the erroneous messages as long as the software was running ok”. That reply is UNSAT in my honest opinion. What if you wanted to install Webroot on another computer. You would be unable to with your Webroot Console saying“ Expired”. Let me ping @TripleHelix and see if he has anything to add to solve this problem.

Don’t do the “Clean Install” until we get your Management Console problem solved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Your Webroot Management Console has to be fixed. The reply from Support : “He finally told me to ignore the erroneous messages as long as the software was running ok”. That reply is UNSAT in my honest opinion. What if you wanted to install Webroot on another computer. You would be unable to with your Webroot Console saying“ Expired”. Let me ping @TripleHelix and see if he has anything to add to solve this problem.

Don’t do the “Clean Install” until we get your Management Console problem solved.

I agree you will have to contact the sales team as something is wrong on the back end. Sorry I was not online yesterday.

Purchases, renewals, and upgrades

Mon - Fri 7 AM to 7 PM (MDT)

wr-customersales@opentext.com

Tel: 1-866-350-6089

And if need be contact Webroot Support:

https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicetalk.asp

HTH,
Userlevel 2

Thank you.

Userlevel 2

The issue was finally resolved.  The Geek Squad was unable to fix the bad/expired keycode even though my subscription was current through January 2024.  Instead, they canceled my existing subscription, uninstalled the software, and issued a refund.  Then they started a new subscription, re-installed the software, issued a new keycode, and recharged my credit card.  I think it should have been a lot easier than this to fix a bad/expired keycode and I am still waiting for the supposed refund (guess that will be another ordeal to get my money back).  I’m grateful after 3 hours on the phone with support that it’s finally over.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

The issue was finally resolved.  The Geek Squad was unable to fix the bad/expired keycode even though my subscription was current through January 2024.  Instead, they canceled my existing subscription, uninstalled the software, and issued a refund.  Then they started a new subscription, re-installed the software, issued a new keycode, and recharged my credit card.  I think it should have been a lot easier than this to fix a bad/expired keycode and I am still waiting for the supposed refund (guess that will be another ordeal to get my money back).  I’m grateful after 3 hours on the phone with support that it’s finally over.  

Okay it was a Best Buy Geek Squad subscription next time contact them as they look after there own Subscriptions: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/geeksquad-register

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/geeksquad-how-to-updates

Thanks!