Solved

Explorer.exe using up to 300mb RAM.

Show first post

365 replies

Userlevel 5
We're still investigating this but the higher Explorer RAM is allocated by Windows in such a way that it will not impact system performance in any measurable or noticeable capacity. If you're experiencing any system performance degradation, I suggest writing into our support team so that they can inspect your logs and correct the issue.
@ 
@ 

Thank you both providing useful suggestions and yes, I have putting in tickets with the poor Support Techs on and off since the begining of September.  They are working on it and have been great, as I have said, no problem with customer satifaction on that end.  

Photoshop, ohhh yes, can suck the life out of your system 😉 which is why I finally splurged and gave myself the.gift of this computer a few months ago, I am trying to teach myself 3D graphic design and loving it, woohoo!!!  The problems only occurring since the WR update last month :(

They did collect a log when the first issue began and it worked like a charm, so maybe that needs to be done again, will see what they say on Monday.

Thanks to all those who have had to read through my rants and those who have tried to offer help!!

Slowly backs out of the discussion....
Userlevel 7
Hi Joe

Many thanks for the update/clarification.  Much appreciated you taking the trouble to come back on this.

Regards

Baldrick
Yes, there is performance degradation in time (system slow down if there is not reboot within about 3-4 hours) and RAM usage is problem.
I've already paste screnshoot with explorer 2GB+ RAM usage in this thread. 
200-300 MB? No problem.. But 2 gigabytes?!

I also contacted support, send logs... without results. 
My computers were on just under 24 hours.
The fact they're both new clean installs and completly different systems, one is an old AMD ddr2 box and the other a brand new intel ddr3 laptop and they were both running slow tells me there is a problem.
The only third party software is:
Google drive/chrome
Nvidia driver and Physx drivers on desktop.

Laptop only has Google drive/ chrome and bits Windows installer picked up, I never used the drivers disk as there were no '!' marks in device manager.
It's 2 days old.
Userlevel 1
Hello,

I used a trial of Webroot on my Windows 8.1 (64 bit) machine and i had an explorer.exe of near 300 MB. Without Webroot it is around 30 MB.

I tried a system restore to a previous state and Webroot was still active and worked, but no way of uninstalling it. But what struck me is that the explorer.exe was not near 300 MB, but at the 30 MB range.

If this *bug* would be fixed i would not hesitate into buying this product because the overall feel of it is good.

Oh and i had 2 instances of Webroot running in processes instead of 1.

Product version of Webroot 8.0.4.46
Userlevel 7
Hi MaXimus

Are you running the 64bit or 32bit version of Win 8.1?  I believe that the issue with explorer.exe is linked to the former rather than the latter.  I am running the 32bit version and like you I am seeing 24-36 Mb in use.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
My windows 8.1x64 is fully updated. But still  explorer takes 300mb+
Userlevel 4
I tested on both Windows 8.1 x64 and Windows 7 Pro x64 both were fine. So maybe you're right it's only on the 32 bit version
Userlevel 7
Hi MaXimus

Interesting...you OK running 64bit & me OK running 32bit...so perhaps has nothing to do with OS and WSA but rather the point you rasied about making sure that MSE/Windows Defender is properly disabled, etc. Hmmmmmmm!

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
I will try that TH
Userlevel 4
yes not only do you need to stop it, you also need to remove its startup entries via Autoruns.exe which are different entires for Win 7 or Win 8
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
I have a question please:
Inside my Computer: C-Program Files- Webroot. There is a folder called WRData, and There is an Green Icon Called WRSA.
So technically do I have to renames this or not ??
Thanks
It doesnt work...
I installed WSA on Windows 8.1 64-bit and disable Windows Defender manualy + all related entries in Autoruns.
After reboot: explorer.exe with 300+ MB RAM usage and much cpu impact... :(

Any other ideas?
On second notebook with Windows 8.1 32-bit everything is ok.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I'm not seeing this problem with Explorer.exe either, these are my results on 3 Pcs running WSA complete only: -

Desktop PC Win 8.1 64bit explorer is using 69MB
Laptop running Win 8.1 64bit using 27Mb
Windows Home Server 2011 64 bit using 27MB
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Win 8.1 pro 64bit
Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus (2014) 8.0.4.57
Explorer.exe using 65 Mb
WTF... Some have problems on 64-bit, some not... some on 32-bit...
Maybe it system settings-depended? But for what?
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
"Win 8.1 pro 64bit
Explorer.exe using 65 Mb"
Clean system
It is established only webroot
I'll try on virtual machine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Maybe in the new version corrected this problem?
The same high usage on virtual machine with Win8 8.1 Pro x64 clean install.
But... I have 8.0.4.46 (downloaded by webroot website).

When I use icon -> check new version there is info, that I already use newest.
From where can I download newer version?
Userlevel 7
Hi lukasamd

Interesting that you are not yet on .57 version.  If you log into your Web Console (you can do so from the My Account tab in the WSA client on your machine) you should see in the right hand corner of the main console page, your userid (that you used to log into the Console with) + a dropdown arrow.  If you click on the dropdown arrow that should reveal a context menu the first entry of which will be 'Downloads'.  If you click on that you will be given the option to download your version for either Windows or Mac.

Download from there and then uninstall/clean install the downloaded version, and see if yo are now on .57, etc.

Post back to let us know how you get on.

Regards

Baldrick

Secure Anywhere causing explorer.exe to use 310 MB of memory! Way to much! When it's not running it's at 30 MB by luck I found where other people are having the same problem on the Webroot message board. After hours of trouble shooting doing clean boots and looking on the web. It never occurred to me to turn off secure anywhere. I have a 2 day old Dell Interspersion 5749 running windows 8.1 64 bit. I have a paid subscription for Bitdefender Internet security 2015. I just received a replacement computer for a Dell 5748 that never worked right and have been researching anti viruses and saw that Webroot secure anywhere uses the least memory and it worked fine for a day but today when I started up my computer I noticed explorer.exe using lots of memory. I am trying your anti virus because Bitdefender uses 200-300MB of memory to much in my book and use to much disk writing. I liked Webroot and it was catching viruses in downloads when Bitdefender wasn't the day I ran it at the same time on my old computer. I know they tell you not to run 2 anti viruses at a time but with the small footprint of this anti virus I figures whats the harm, since I knew my replacement computer was coming in a few days I kept downloading programs I knew had viruses on them. Anyways if secure anywhere causes explorer.exe to use 300MB of memory your anti virus program is using as much or more memory than Bitdefender. Why should I buy it? Anyways is their a fix for this?

I just put in this support request, but after seeing this last post I checked my new computer and no windows updates have been installed so I am going to install them all including KB3000850 hopefully this will fix the problem for me too! I will update to board when done.
Hello Baldrick,https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/780
I did it... and I still have .4.46 version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
Hi lukasamd

Interesting that you are not yet on .57 version.  If you log into your Web Console (you can do so from the My Account tab in the WSA client on your machine) you should see in the right hand corner of the main console page, your userid (that you used to log into the Console with) + a dropdown arrow.  If you click on the dropdown arrow that should reveal a context menu the first entry of which will be 'Downloads'.  If you click on that you will be given the option to download your version for either Windows or Mac.

Download from there and then uninstall/clean install the downloaded version, and see if yo are now on .57, etc.

It is downloaded .46
http://upyourpic.org/images/201312/5tfnxqu7rh.jpg