Solved

Explorer.exe using up to 300mb RAM.

Show first post

365 replies

Userlevel 1
I have tried that system analyzer as well and it shows the same memory leak as in your pic. But not the possible handle leak.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No I can't and wouldn't know where to look? Here was the fix for Win 8.1 x64: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3000850 and you can see my reply here on page 5: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-update/major-issues-with-kb3000850/5cb4cddd-52da-44af-9fd5-3ae1a72b0b1a?page=5

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
@ 

Your method doesn't work on my system.

It is strange that this leak is only on Win 8.1 64 bit version. 
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
At a first glance they look like they talk about something else but fixed it. 😛
Userlevel 1
Just read there is a new version namely: 8.0.4.63. Haven't seen it on my trial version though.

Hopefully this explorer.exe bug can be pinpointed soon enough (i think it's known for a couple of months now?).

Does every version of Webroot have the same issue on Win 8.1 64 bit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeppers it was a fluke. LOL

Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Or serendipituos! Hope they will keep it permanently and not mess it up in next update.
Userlevel 1
Just a question of another order. The firewall, is it build in in every version of Webroot or do you need the Internet Security or Complete version for that? And what is so different about the gamer version?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Well this is strange I've just installed these updates on 2 of my PCs and it's fixed the problem on one of them and made no difference on the other one! :@
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Both have same versions of WRSA?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Yes, dtouch, they're both running version 9.0.1.35.
Userlevel 7
Cheers, David, confirmation of correct info provided is...much appreciated...;)
Userlevel 1
Hi Baldrick,

Thanks for the quick reply. 

What exactly does the Protects account logins and passwords do? Will it protect when you store them on the pc? (which i never do btw)

Regards,

Nask
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Both has Explorer taking less memory now?
I am confused as to why WR had not updated to 9.0.2.21 automatically. Its supposed to do that in the cloud.
Userlevel 1
I've updated to the .63 version. Still no improvement unfortunately. 2 more days and my trial is over.

I looked into the option of active processes in WSA.
On my machine it gave this at the explorer.exe as details:

Ram usage: workset: 351 MB (peak 366 MB) Virtual 562 MB (peak 4095 MB)

Userlevel 1
In all truth i do like WSA, but this bug is giving me a weird feeling.  I really want to use it on my Win 8.1 machine, that's why i am trying different things to solve it. 

I've uninstalled it and reinstalled. Also did the autorun thing.
I've stopped the program then restarted explorer to test if the usage , it went up after activating WSA again.

Regarding the logs :

Will it matter that my trial is nearly ended for them to gather the logs and that i am not in the US (timezone difference)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It wasn't posted at the time I posted this one: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/213175#M18330

Daniel 😉
@dtouch wrote:
Well i did not know when that version was out :)
You can check here.
Userlevel 1
Today i decided to install an older game (Diablo III) on my system. While it was busy installing itself, i opened the task manager and to my surprise i saw the Explorer.exe being dropped to near 30 MB. After installing it remained around that amount, so i thought lets see what it does after a system reboot. After the reboot the explorer.exe was around 300 MB again.

Oh and @ :

I partly agree with you. That the AV, with the processes it uses, consumes a litte more RAM is not a issue. The problem IMO is that it alters a different process up to a tenfold it's normal RAM usage.
You choose to ignore it, that is ok, since it won't bug you 🙂. I personally want to find out why this is happening and how to fix it. I'm too picky to ignore it. Every individual can have his/her own insights /opinions, right?

On my system i don't experience any slow downs as of yet 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
I personally want to find out why this is happening and how to fix it. I'm too picky to ignore it. Every individual can have his/her own insights /opinions, right?

You can also send the necessary logs to support, as described before.
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/83779#M5383

I many others have already done so.
I think together we can help in solving this problem.
Userlevel 7
Hi Guys,

Are there any news about the solution of this issue??

Regards,

Mike
Userlevel 7
Hi Petrovic,

I'm using the WSA with Win8.1(x64) and since the last update it looks just fine :D
Explorer doesn't absorb more memory than usual (about 30 MB).
But I know that a lot of users still observes this problem.
I installed the WSA on another laptop and high memory usage by the explorer.exe is still there.
I'm not entirely convinced that explorer uses paged memory, but I can confirm that truely it has no impact on system performance.

Regards,

Mike
Hello,

now that I read your postings, I have exactly the same problem, even with the Version.66 explorer.exe is mine at around 400MB and that constantly, if I disable webroot AV, the RAM consumption goes down IMeNS namely on 30 MB, the offenders I see on Webroot AV. What should I do?
Thanks for the reply, but I, I do not see in such a way that it affects the performance, 400 MB of 400 MB and I only have 4 GB of RAM and 400 MB are there very much, so the problem should be solved urgently that would otherwise I must do my best to another AV solution because something does not work.
Userlevel 4
just a quick suggestion, you do have Windows Defender and its 2 startup entries unchecked right?