Explorer.exe using up to 300mb RAM.

Show first post

365 replies

Userlevel 7
It works fine in Windows 8.1. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@dtouch wrote:
The memeory leak returns with Windows 10 x64?
Running Windows 10 Pro x64 with WRSA 9.0.1.36

Yes it does but it's not WSA's fault as I said here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/198377#M15753 we just have to wait till Microsoft fixes it again.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus (2014) 8.0.4.57
http://upyourpic.org/images/201312/om49atbrwa.jpg
Install 8.0.4.57
May I ask where you got that Download link from? And can you EDIT it out of your post please!

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Thanks for the edit Can you ask one of the Mods to remove them and put in the current release link? That would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Daniel ;)
I told to the moderator)
Thank you Petrovic!

A Beta link can be a problem as the software may not be stable, which is not good for less experienced users.  Being pre-release also means that it is not really officially supported either: it is sort of a "Use at your own risk" situation.

:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So what are you trying to say? Please don't make it a mountain when it's only an ant hill.

Daniel 😠
Userlevel 4
Bragging rights post :)

my laptop specs:

ASUS G750JX-CV050H
CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900
Security: Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus for PC Gamers
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks for the expectation, but if it's a pagefile problem it's worse then if was just a ram problem. If it was just a ram problem and you have plenty of ram on your computer it' s not going to really affect your computers performance. If it's a pagefile problem and you have a regular Hard Drive and not a SSD your going to have to wait for your hard drive to respond which will slow up your system. So any system resource advantage to using Webroot over other antivirus software is nullified while this problem exist.
I am not sure what you have been smoking but where did you manage to dig up such an outlandish hypothesis?
Userlevel 7
Hi Nask

How is it going?

Yes, the Firewall is built into all versions of WSA...please see this comparison for more information on the difference between the 3 main versions.

And this page with regards to the features of the Gamer version...but if I recall the main difference is that the feature set includes the System Optimizer which is not included in the AV version.  But I am sure I will be corrected if that is inaccurate or if I have missed something. ;)

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Update from JoeJ:

Quote:

"However, as I've mentioned in the other thread, the Explorer RAM issue will not affect your system performance: Explorer is using paged memory and only when it is not being requested from other processes so it will have no system performance impact, even if you only have 1GB of overall system RAM."

And it's still on the list and they will get to it!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You like WSA so just give it sometime and it will be fixed! Are you experiencing any performance issues? I don't know why it's giving you a weird feeling WSA is fine as is as Joe said above it's using PageFile Memory not actual memory.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
It doesnt matter if you have 1gb or 4gb Windows allocates 4gb of Virtual memory (VMM) for it to operate so this 300mb isnt actual RAM usage but paged memory. People are getting mixed up on how processes use allocated memory. 

Not to mention the fact that WSA only uses normally a few MB`s of memory when its running unlike many other AV`s that use a couple of hundred. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging
Userlevel 7
Hello alienwarex51r2, and Welcome!

For a short time it'd be best to rely on the words of the main man, and it will be sorted before long. Don't think anyone could give an exact date.
 Re: Explorer.exe using up to 300mb RAM. - Page 13 - Webroot Community

"There is zero impact to the system with this issue - it only affects available RAM if not used elsewhere, and does not impact performance. We are fully compatible with Win8 x64. We should be able to implement a workaround for this but we're focused on more important changes at the moment which actually do improve protection and performance.

(Also, to the followup posters saying they're seeing it fixed: we haven't changed anything, but it's very possible that Microsoft put out a patch to fix it)"
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
So let me make sure that I understand this situation correctly. .In order to have this fixed I already (2nd day as a webroot member) have to have a person go in my pc remotely?so no general fix through firmware update?
Every site like pcmag etc did they miss this info? I hope that it was not done on purpose to hide the foot print under explorer.exe .. I just find it weird that every single reviewer didn't mention this..maybe they haven't noticed??I am not accusing webroot, but this definitely needs to be fixed. .we need a time frame,we need an explanation. .This is totally against what is advertised..ohh webroot uses 3mb of ram blah blah blah..obviously it doesn't. .actually uses more at this point than my norton 360 2014
Was explorer.exe even designed by Microsoft to idle at 290-300 mb?What other system instability can that cost? Do we know?maybe maybe not. ..
If you read the entire thread, even just the last 6 replies, you would note that this bug does not affect all users.  Thus, PCMag missed nothing and nothing was hidden.

Further up in this thread a Webroot Product Manager wrote that a fix is currently in testing, hopefully to be released soon.

Timeframe is simply once the fix has been proven to work without causing any other problems... 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
alienwarex51r2 I fully agree with David and for another look please read this post: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/87808/highlight/true#M5540 and nothing has change since Joe made that reply. But Shawn has given an update here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/98674#M6076

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Nothing new here Mike Window 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1 on my VM.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
It's 16GB of RAM, SSD, and 8 cores... not sure how I would tell. =)
Same here but I have it installed on a VM with 2GB of my16GB of RAM and i7CPU, SDD's and I find no slowdowns.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hello explanoit, MayI ask what causes a memory leak? You say a Third party and that means? Excuse me I'm just trying to understand what else could cause this..Java scripts, paging, I'm not that technical ...please address ...

Thanks, Sherry
   Hi @ 

A memory leak is simply when any program  fails to release RAM memory 'addresses' once that RAM "address" is no longer in use.  The effect of it is that the amount of RAM taken up by that program goes up and up and up...  

In most cases, this has a severe impact on system performance.  The RAM allocated to that program just plain will not be released back in to availability.  This of course causes a low memory available situation and slows down the device.  The slowdown is due to the fact that with no RAM memory available, the device now has to start using hard disk memory as RAM.  This is called Virtual RAM or Virtual Memory.  

What is curious in this situation is that what appears to be a memory leak does not affect performance.  Usually the memory tied up will just plain refuse to release at all: only a computer reboot will cause the 'stuck' RAM addresses to freed.  In this case, even though RAM portions that are no longer actually in current use by WSA are failing to be released as they should, and thus causing the huge memory usage noted in this thread, once other processes are asking for more memory it does allow those portions to be used.  That is why there is no system performance hit.  The RAM does release if there is a request for more memory.

This bug only seems to affect certain users.  In this case, I THINK it is certain versions of 64 bit Windows.

Pretty confusing I know, and I am not sure I explained it quite correctly.  @  can you take a look and provide your insight?
Userlevel 7
You shouldnt be setting the page file manually in Windows 8, its only advisible to set a page file manually if your PC has a low amount of physical ram (128/256) on XP. 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Where is the update and bug fix?
Hello ZockerFreak,
Welcome to the Community!

What do mean? There was no official information on this matter.
I'm sure Shawn will let us know when TechSupport officially considers this issue to be resolved.

Regards,

Mike

Userlevel 7
Well, we do know that the isssue is being addressed, but we do not know an ETA for the fix.  That is normal, there usually is not an exact estimate until the fix is ready.  

Apparently, from what most people have said, it actually is not causing a significant problem with system performance.
Userlevel 7
@DavidP1970 wrote:
Well, we do know that the isssue is being addressed, but we do not know an ETA for the fix.  That is normal, there usually is not an exact estimate until the fix is ready.  

Apparently, from what most people have said, it actually is not causing a significant problem with system performance.
That is very true David.  It only seems to be affecting a small minority of users...which is unfortunate.
Userlevel 7
I freely admit that in the above I am speculating.  

I do know Webroot has been working on it, and I know problems are generally resolved pretty quickly.  That just tells me this has been a particularly difficult one and no ETA will be released unril they have tested it thourouly.  They want to be sure of the fix before commenting about it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well we will Ping @ to see if he can give us an update from this post: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/100382#M6189

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for the updated post Lucas also there was no issue on Win 8 x64 it only showed up on Win 8.1 x64 and continues with Update 1 x64 so there is no need to be concerned about this thread as this is really not an issue in layman's term for that all can understand?

Thanks Again,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Your question has been answered on previous pages a number of times. Its a bit of big thread but worth a read if your interested.