Solved

Explorer.exe using up to 300mb RAM.

Show first post

365 replies

Userlevel 7
Its been anwsered by Joe our head of Developement but the general view is that Windows wont struggle with an extra 300mb paged memory usage.I wouldnt say 300mb of Explorer usage is exessive(in this case its not actually 300mb either) I have seen certain programs push it to well over 1Gb without any drastic performance issues.

This issue has been blown out of proportion in my opinion and some people are getting very confused about memory usage. Windows looks after all of this for you and unless you have a really really old PC you wont notice any issue. I dont even check my PC`s memory usage unless something really weird happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Roy It does only in Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit but not in 32bit and Joe knows about it and I think he's got someone looking into it? It goes that High and then you turn off WSA and restart explorer.exe it goes back to normal around 25 to 30 MB then when you turn WSA back on then explorer.exe goes back up to 280 to 300MB of RAM.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Try forcing the installation of .27. My computer with the explorer.exe RAM usage doesn't have the issue anymore. I've noticed that my home computers don't seem to be updating automatically to it. It was issued to fix a CPU usage issue for business customers, but it has other unnamed fixes in it. It is not a beta.

http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsainstall.exe
@ That link is to the Consumer version which is still at v8.0.4.24 you must be talking about the Business version http://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/support-business-release-notes

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hi AndersF

At the risk of being shouted down for saying it...I would not put too much store by the System Analyzer...it is provided as a facility and if I am perfectly honest I put my faith in other tools when it comes to assessing RAM usage on my system.  That is not to say that it does not have it uses but in this instance I would rely on something else to give you the relevant information.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Hello all!
Thank you for reporting this. It was just brought to my attention and I am easily able to reproduce this on two Windows 8.1(x64), one running consumer, the other business.

I am not a Win8 user (buy choice), is it not common for explorer.exe to consume that much RAM on a regular basis? Sounds like something Microsoft would do... :D

Let me run some additional tests and do some research and I will escalate to development.

Please let me know if anyone is seeing this on any other OS's.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Did you read what Lucas (TechToc) said here? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/td-p/60523/page/27 and if you continue to have issues please Submit a Support Ticket and they can look into it your specific issues.

Thanks,

Daniel ;)
Userlevel 7

Hello gambs. Firstly, you can be absolutely assured that there is no actual incompatibility between the two softwares, and SecureAnywhere is protecting your Windows 8.1 system at the deepest possible level, maintaining complete integrity. It shouldn't affect anyone with sufficient RAM. They will fix it for sure, but it isn't of the highest priority, since there are no serious issues evident.

I'd ask you to go back and consider fully some postings by JoeJ and  TechToc.

Specifically these may help:
        "Ultimately this issue isn't one with WSA, it is one where Microsoft has coded in a fault tolerance limit for Explorer (or other processes) to prevent crashing. The additional memory usage (mostly reservered and not written by the way) is just a way to ensure your shell doesn't crash when something goes wrong." (page 27)
       "The behavior of Explorer is a result of Microsoft building fault tolerance into their software to prevent against crashes. This IS a good thing. It increases the overall stability of the operating system.
While we can control what we do, we have no control over what Microsoft chooses to do as a result. The Explorer process detects the inclusion of a non-Microsoft injected DLL and adds some additional buffers in place in the event that DLL causes a shell crash." (page 30) 
   "the higher Explorer RAM is allocated by Windows in such a way that it will not impact system performance in any measurable or noticeable capacity. If you're experiencing any system performance degradation, I suggest writing into our support team so that they can inspect your logs and correct the issue." (page 5)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
If anyone is subscribing to Adobe Cloud,i can see the need for maybe whitelistening components,as there are a great many apps downloadable,each with a great many processes that are all regularly updated,and aren't always known to the cloud.I will say,however,that Webroot doesn't take very long in getting files classified G(good) should you play the wait game and not open a ticket.Frequently when doing web design/development,there will be a need to have many Adobe apps open at once,I've done it,my wife is in school for web design/development,and i can say firsthand they can have a significant system impact.Even with several apps open at any given time,i have not had a single issue with Webroot.Even with explorer.exe showing high ram usage,it's just does not  affect system performance in any way whatsoever on my win 7 x64 machine or win 8.1 x64 machine.Even running some ram hungry MMO type games,i have not confronted a single issue where explorer's ram usage showing 300+ megs would affect performance in any way.I have shutdown webroot and run games and software,and have enabled Webroot and ran software,and have seen no difference in performance.Not ever.The only thing i have ever seen affect the performance of any software on the system is when a file is new to the cloud(U),and as a security measure i'm fine with that.It's better to be safe than sorry.It usually won't take long to get those files classified good,but it surely doesn't hurt opening a ticket and getting the ball rolling.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I can confirm as well as I just updated my Win 8.1 Pro x64 but I'm not sure it's because of the update KB3000850? But see it was the way Windows was handleing WRSA.exe and Windows Explorer very interesting!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Also on Windows 10 Preview x64 Latest Build 9879 still has this issue.

Daniel

Well, that is a bit odd I would think.... though being in a trial build they may not have did whatever to it that they did in the Win8.1 Patch I guess?

Actually Win 8.1 Pro Update 2 x64 and this November's patch Tuesday KB3000850 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@dtouch wrote:
My windows 8.1x64 is fully updated. But still  explorer takes 300mb+
Did you install this Optional Update from Windows Update also check to see if you have it installed? KB3000850 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +17
I also, updated that window update, and I notice my Explorer is using around 48 MB
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@dtouch wrote:
I just noticed the optional update in windows update and did it. And yes it seems to have reduced the memory used.
Awesome so KB300850 fix this long time issue ever since they release Windows 8.1 x64 as Windows 8 x64 never had that issue before 8.1!

Thanks,

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I have a question please:
Inside my Computer: C-Program Files- Webroot. There is a folder called WRData, and There is an Green Icon Called WRSA.
So technically do I have to renames this or not ??
Thanks
No don't do anything in there as it's needed as that's where the processes run from!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 4
Badge +17
Dear Triple Helix
Thank you very much..
Is Baldrick Around ?? Did not hear from him for a while ???
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Mike and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

As said before it was never an issue with WSA but Windows 8.1 x64 and that KB3000850 fixed the issue also I see on  Win 10 Preview x64 has the same issue and I have told them about it and hopefully before release they will fix that issue as well!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
v8.0.4.46 is the current release we Beta testers are using v8.0.4.57 and I still have the issue on my Win 8.1 Pro x64 VM. To the one's that don't see the high Explorer.exe memory can you please Submit a Support Ticket so they can get some info from your system and that might help the Developers find a work around for the one's that still have it. Also please see here for updated version when they come out: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Release-Notes/PC-Release-Notes-8-0-4-46-includes-updated-Cryptolocker/td-p/77139#.UvkkfoU_9Xo

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hi lukasamd

My apologies for misinforming you on this...I should have known better 😳...but Daniel is quite right (as usual) and luckily is here to correct the mis-information.

Having said that I have to agree with Daniel that it is a weird issue...I have so far never seen explorer.exe running at 300Mb, regardless of version used.

Hi @ Daniel, I am a volunteer to provide Support with information on this...would you be able to suggest what information they might like or perhaps a consistent Support Ticket description for volunteers so that they know we do not have the problem/are offering info...otherwise they might have a seizure if deluged. ;)

Regards to you both.

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@DavidP1970 wrote:
It is an odd bug.  On my computer explore.exe is using only 23 mb RAM.  
David it's a Windows 8.1 64bit issue only no other OS are reporting this issue!

Also what Joe is asking for:

@ wrote:
We're still investigating this but the higher Explorer RAM is allocated by Windows in such a way that it will not impact system performance in any measurable or noticeable capacity. If you're experiencing any system performance degradation, I suggest writing into our support team so that they can inspect your logs and correct the issue.
 Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +51
@ wrote:

Thanks for the edit Can you ask one of the Mods to remove them and put in the current release link? That would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Daniel ;)
I told to the moderator)
Thanks you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Thanks for the edit Can you ask one of the Mods to remove them and put in the current release link? That would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Daniel ;)
I told to the moderator)
Thank You! ;)

Cheers,

Daniel
@dtouch wrote:
...could anyone link to @ 's previous post explaining this before. I missed it.
I think perhaps these two postsare the ones that @ is referring to:
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/117664/highlight/true#M7014
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/121332/highlight/true#M7117
Userlevel 7
Hi MaXimus

That is definitively way over the top IMHO...as under the 32bit version I am hard pushed to get explorer.exe over the 50Mb mark...I am running with just 2Gb RAM...care to sub me some of yours? ;)

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 5
Badge +16
the DLL is multifunctional, and this isn't a discussion of that. The only reason I mentioned the DLL is is to explain the proceedure that explorer undergoes when this behavior is detected.

running a replacement shell has it's own risks and benefits. I won't go into the security discussion here at the risk of derailing the topic. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks @  Can you Submit a Support Ticket and point them to your post so they can see what you did? Also what happens after Reboot?

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Click on the Number and Copy the link from the address bar of your Browser and Paste it in your ticket!

http://i61.tinypic.com/fkazhh.png