Solved

Explorer.exe using up to 300mb RAM.

Show first post

365 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Guess the fix is back?
My system is Windows 10 fully update as of now!
Looks like its back to 60 MB.
:)

On WRSA 9.0.2.22

Userlevel 7
To the best of my knowledge, you are spot on there Baldrick.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Thats wierd. Double check the system that has explorer takes more memory.. update.. Try reinstalling WR.

Btw me and ? are running latest beta 9.0.2.22
Userlevel 1
@ 

I've contacted Webroot Customer Service and provided them with my info. Now it's waiting on a reply.

Oh and i tried something else, as you mentioned it's using PageFile Memory. I disabled the PageFile in Windows, but no effect on the Explorer. Was worth a shot :)

Anyway i hope they can get decent info from my logs, despite my reinstall again today.

Regards,

Nask.
Userlevel 1
@ 

I've sent them a few logs already this past week, but took your advice and sent them a new log.

I think you are right, the more information they can gather, the sooner they can fix it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It will be fixed but is a low priority as it doesn't affect performance like JoeJ said here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/87808#M5540

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It does work even if you had 1GB of RAM it's a bug and will be fixed at some point as Joe said!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Your paying for threat protection and this issue has been explained by the lead developer. Id rather them be working on protecting me from the latest threats than a minor bug that doesnt effect system performance. 
Userlevel 7
Battefield 4 uses well over 8 gig of memory when running on my PC so even if the 300mb caused an issue its a drop in the ocean compared to 8000mb. I havent noticed any frame rate drop when playing any games and I use my PC exclusively for gaming. If you are noticing an issue I would submit a support ticket and I can take a look at it. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello lukasamd, did you ever contact Support Submit a Support Ticket

Because they could have examined the Logs, and possibly offered some temporary solution? Looking back at this thread, I'm not sure if you tried any clean installs, also.

I accept that this has been frustrating waiting to see confirmed resolution, but there must be only a minimum of users reporting any serious problems, or this would be evident.

I don't believe that Webroot favours or values their Enterprise customers sny more than Home users.
If many Home users with Windows 8 were having big problems, then that would generate bad publicity, and would soon be known.

I believe you could have, for example, tried a Remote Support session, 4 months ago, to diagnose issues you observed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
We know the Webroot statement. You dont need to copy that on every page. But as you can see, there are people that claiming there is some influence on performance. I think every system is a little bit different, we had others programs installed, im using laptop, somebody use it on the desktop etc. I payed for a LIGHTWEIGHT program, i dont care about a security that much. If you dont know what are you doing on the web, even program with 100% protection doesnt help you. So, as I mentioned before, its a shame that this wasnt fixed for 6 months. Still waiting for some info.
Every system is, in fact, totally unique...that's why a Remote Session is the best usual solution in these type of situations.

As regards the delay waiting for a sure fix, I am not in a position to add anything to @  and @ ' earlier statements, and don't represent Webroot, but am only a Home user also.
Let's hope that this is resolved for all, in the next few builds.

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
We know the Webroot statement. You dont need to copy that on every page. But as you can see, there are people that claiming there is some influence on performance. I think every system is a little bit different, we had others programs installed, im using laptop, somebody use it on the desktop etc. I payed for a LIGHTWEIGHT program, i dont care about a security that much. If you dont know what are you doing on the web, even program with 100% protection doesnt help you. So, as I mentioned before, its a shame that this wasnt fixed for 6 months. Still waiting for some info.
Webroot is well aware of the problem, and they are working on it.  I would suggest you file a Trouble Ticket if you have not done so.  The more data Webroot as from affected users, the easier it will become for them to fix the problem for you.

It really does not affect all users.  I, along with many many others, are not affected. 
Userlevel 7
Today I did a fresh and clean installation of Windows 8.1 64bit on my dad's laptop. 
After installing WSA explorer doesn't absorb more than 30 MB of RAM. I did a few restarts and it seems everything is ok.
I also did the Upgrade 1 and nothig has changed. SecureAnywhere works as it should without any issues.

Regards,

Mike
Ok guys I took the plunge. .I AM restoring windows back to default day one settings. .I will report back with the outcome. .maybe this really is the solution. .I will install webroot wsa first so I can report back to you guys quicker,if explorer.exe stays at the normal 30mbs then I will also report back when I re download all my programs to see if something triggers it...Also I will see if the issue is pre update 1...
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Maybe it's a Windows 8.1 Pro x64 issue as I see your using there standard version of Windows 8.1 x64?

Daniel
Yup, my dad's laptop has Win 8.1 x64 onboard, however WSA works fine on my machine with x64 Pro.
I think, therefore, it does not matter whether it is the Pro or standard version ;)

Mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I know but they said that a while back too
@ said here last Tuesday https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/98674#M6076 so maybe sooner now rather than later!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I spoke to Microsoft tech support just now and they don't seem to happy about it. .they told me that explorer.exe should not be idling at 300mb and cannot guarantee long term stability.
Please do not forget that we are still talking about paged memory.
So even if the explorer absorbs around 300MB at idle there is no basis to cast doubt on system stability.

Regards,

Mike
Hi Daniel. .I am not trying to scare anyone. .I am just passing the information that Microsoft told me a few hours ago,also you said it yourself "at this time " that is the same thing Microsoft told me but in different words..
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Microsoft is within their rights to be unhappy a 3rd party program is inflating the apparent RAM usuage of a critical Windows process. Their impression was probably also that this was being caused by an ongoing memory leak, which would indeed cause problems down the line.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi @  You are so smart and I really thank you and totally appreciate this response, which I was searching for. I googled it but got a lot of confusing information...didn't look too long tho..getting overwhelmed beings as it's late I quess. But just the same the time and effort given I applaud you!

Have a great start of the week and again Thank you! :)
Sherry

Fixed @ Davidp1970 from @ DanielP1970

;) 
Thanks @   :)    
Userlevel 7
Edit doesnt matter, not really relevant to this thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Instead of edit I have to agree it's not really relevant to this thread and the issue is being worked on Shawn said last Tuesday https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/98674#M6076

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ...I couldn't of asked for better clarification anywhere else so ...

Learning everyday without a chair 😉 today that is...
Sherry
Uninstalled Webroot. I had enough. After updating to Windows to 8.1 update 1, system keep spamming me about low memory and wanted to close all programs.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
   That is very true David.  It only seems to be affecting a small minority of users...which is unfortunate.

Yep, it's true! Working on Windows 8.1. (Update 1) 64bit with WSA onboard I have no issues with the high usage of RAM by the Explorer.
It is unfortunate that some users experience this problem 😞