Solved

Explorer.exe using up to 300mb RAM.

Show first post

365 replies

At 300mb explorer.exe footprint it is actually the largest of all the antivirus in the market. I removed it until they fix it..installed micro trend maximum security and cannot be happier:)
Userlevel 7
Well sorry to hear your not using WSA. You must be really struggling with system issues if you cant spare 300mb of paged memory however.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
@ wrote:
At 300mb explorer.exe footprint it is actually the largest of all the antivirus in the market. I removed it until they fix it..installed micro trend maximum security and cannot be happier:)
Whats the total memory microtrend is stressing on your system? Not just explorer.exe.
Uninstalled Webroot. I had enough. After updating to Windows to 8.1 update 1, system keep spamming me about low memory and wanted to close all programs.
@ wrote:
Yes I do have an update!

Working through the current issues, I have raised this to my TOP ISSUES report and given it a medium severity with high priority. 

There is a current build in QA being tested against a number of bug fixes but I will see when we can this fix into a build and update this thread once I know more.

Thanks all, stay tuned!

Where is the update and bug fix?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Where is the update and bug fix?
Hello ZockerFreak,
Welcome to the Community!

What do mean? There was no official information on this matter.
I'm sure Shawn will let us know when TechSupport officially considers this issue to be resolved.

Regards,

Mike

This bug has been known for almost 8 months now and I dropped Webroot soon after upgrading to Windows 8.1 because of it. Is there any hope left that a fix is coming soon or what? 

I only ask because when I was on Windows 7 and using Webroot I really liked it. 
Userlevel 7
Well, we do know that the isssue is being addressed, but we do not know an ETA for the fix.  That is normal, there usually is not an exact estimate until the fix is ready.  

Apparently, from what most people have said, it actually is not causing a significant problem with system performance.
Userlevel 7
@DavidP1970 wrote:
Well, we do know that the isssue is being addressed, but we do not know an ETA for the fix.  That is normal, there usually is not an exact estimate until the fix is ready.  

Apparently, from what most people have said, it actually is not causing a significant problem with system performance.
That is very true David.  It only seems to be affecting a small minority of users...which is unfortunate.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
   That is very true David.  It only seems to be affecting a small minority of users...which is unfortunate.

Yep, it's true! Working on Windows 8.1. (Update 1) 64bit with WSA onboard I have no issues with the high usage of RAM by the Explorer.
It is unfortunate that some users experience this problem 😞
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Yep, it's true! Working on Windows 8.1. (Update 1) 64bit with WSA onboard I have no issues with the high usage of RAM by the Explorer.
It is unfortunate that some users experience this problem :(
Being that some  Windows 8 64 bit users are affected and others are not means that this issue is what could be called 'intermittant'.  If it affected all Win 8/64 the problem would be much easier to ID and fix affecting only some users vastly complicates things to isolate just what variable exactly is causing it.
Userlevel 7
@DavidP1970 wrote:
Being that some  Windows 8 64 bit users are affected and others are not means that this issue is what could be called 'intermittant'.  If it affected all Win 8/64 the problem would be much easier to ID and fix affecting only some users vastly complicates things to isolate just what variable exactly is causing it.
You are absolutely right David. 
Perhaps the problem or rather its quick solution complicates also the environmental diversity of an additional software installed on users machines...
When I upgraded to Windows 8.1 it was a fresh install and I only installed Webroot after I finished the Windows Updates. No other software was installed besides the updates. I don't think its a software conflict.
Userlevel 7
Well, I could be wrong, but a bug that is not caused by environmental factors would present itself to all users.

Given that you had not installed other software, that might still be software conflict.  What is tne #1 most common thing that makes different Windows 8 computers different?  Hardware drivers.  There still remains a possibility that the bug is related some other specific variable or software on the affected machines.

Or...it might have nothing to do with all that, however there does have to be a reason some people are affected and most are not.
Userlevel 7
I freely admit that in the above I am speculating.  

I do know Webroot has been working on it, and I know problems are generally resolved pretty quickly.  That just tells me this has been a particularly difficult one and no ETA will be released unril they have tested it thourouly.  They want to be sure of the fix before commenting about it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well we will Ping @ to see if he can give us an update from this post: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/100382#M6189

Daniel
Badge +1
my problem is solved with 8.0.4.73 version.now the explorer use 40-50 mb before that it was 300 mb
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello dante_nfs, Great news, Thank you for reporting back with this information, so glad this update of 8.0.4.73 has solved your issues .

Have a nice day!
Where do I get the new version? I still have 8.0.4.70 and 320 mb RAM use!
Badge +1
https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/trials

download the trial and install it over your current version it will update automatically
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
hello Zockerfreak....here's an article ...https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-do-I-update-Webroot-SecureAnywhere/ta-p/54076
Usually Webroot will update itself...
The new release didn't fix the ram issue on my end. 
Userlevel 7
Thanks Ted! 

With new releases, we usually get Release Notes for it.  Whatever was patched/updated this time was evidently minor, as indicated by Nic here.  I am guessing that when a major patch to fix this issue comes out it will be documented in the Notes... but evidently the issue may have more than one cause if this patch fixed it for some.
Userlevel 7
Wow... this thread gave me a headache :S

I may betotally off-base (or I mis-read the problem) but I am runnig Windows 8.1 x-64 bit  (w/update) and WRSA v8.0.4.70. Explorer is using +/- 300MB and Webroot is using only 7MB.

Userlevel 7
Hi Jeff

Yes, you have it...Explorer running at 300MB RAM is the 'issue'.

And by the way, v8.0.4.73 is out of beta and now officially released...make sure that you have been updated and if not then run a manual update.

Regards

Baldrick