Solved

File name Warning

• 5 October 2013
  • 10 replies

Message came up  "There is a File or folder on your computer called "c:program" which could cause certain applications to not function corretly, renaming it to "c:program1" would solve the problem. Would you like to rename it now? I know not to do this, but whats up with this? Any body know.
icon

Best answer by JimM 5 October 2013, 20:34

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello sve and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Is it a message from Webroot SecureAnywhere? For now don't change it and please Submit a Support Ticket so that they can gather Scan Logs and they will be best to advise you.

Regards,

TH
Userlevel 7
The error in question is not necessarily from Webroot, but if it is, it means there was an installation issue when installing Webroot.  Here's how to fix it:

You will need to uninstall and reinstall Webroot SecureAnywhere using some special steps.  Please follow the instructions below.

Part 1: Rename "Program"

1.    Follow the correct steps for your Operating System.

Windows XP:
          • Click Start, then click My Computer.

Windows Vista/Windows 7:
          • Click Start, or the Windows icon, then click Computer.

2.    Double-click the C drive
3.    Scroll through the list to locate "Program".
4.    Right-click Program and choose Rename.
5.    Append the file extension ".exe" to the end of the filename, so that "Program" becomes "Program.exe".
6.    Press Enter.  You will notice that the icon for Program has changed.

Part 2: Uninstall and reinstall Webroot:

1.    Open your Start menu.
2.    Click Programs or All Programs, then navigate to the Webroot SecureAnywhere folder.
3.    Under Webroot SecureAnywhere, open the Tools folder, then click Uninstall Webroot.
4.    Click Yes and follow any prompts that appear.

Only if you have trouble getting Part 2 to work, try this more advanced method instead:
1. Open a command prompt (Start Button > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
2. Type "cd C:" and hit enter
3. Type "Program.exe - uninstall" and hit enter
4. Click Yes and follow any prompts that appear

It is not necessary to reboot your computer after uninstalling Webroot.  To reinstall, download the latest installer.

1.  Save the file to your desktop.
2.  Double-click "wsainstall.exe" to run the installer.
3.  Enter your keycode when prompted.
4.  Click Agree and Install.
5.  If asked "Would you like to automatically import the settings that were used in your previous installation?", click No.  Webroot SecureAnywhere reinstalls itself. 

That should take care of it if it was a Webroot-related issue.  If not, it's most likely from another program that didn't install properly.

Worth noting - I haven't seen this issue in over a year, and I had to really stretch my memory to recollect it.  Did you install Webroot off of an old store-bought cd while the computer was offline perhaps?  If not, I'm surprised to see this at all if Webroot was involved, but please let us know either way.
Hellro,

You have written an excellent guide for me!

I have got the same problem with "Program" on one of my computers.

Regards,
Bengt Nilsson, Sweden

Userlevel 1
My computer just downloaded a Chrome extention called Webroot Filtering exention. im guessing it filters search results on Google, because it checks the safety and has a green check mark beside a result. but i restarted my computer, and i noticed that there was a new desktop icon and this file name warning popped up asking me to change the name of a program to C:/program1. Are they related or what?

do i need to rename it or just do a system restore?

i dont know how to add a screencap otherwise id show you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes that's the New Web Shield Extensions but that other part I have not seen did you do a scan with WSA and if it continues please Submit a Support Ticket to make sure you are malware free and to make sure WSA is installed correctly.

HTH,

Daniel ;)
Userlevel 1
here is the screen shot of the warning window and the desktop icon that was on there.

http://snag.gy/e2rpN.jpg

and here is the screenshot of the program of which i deleted the shortcut on the desktop and renamed it "program1" to see if that would change anything.

http://snag.gy/RCa2Q.jpg

It seemed that it installed right as a cut on my computer this morning. I have run a scan on webroot and no spywhere was found. and it seems that it has messed up my touchpad because i like to use the mouse instead of a touchpad for my laptop and it is supposed to cut it off when i have the mouse plugged in. well i go to the mouse settings and this warning shows.

http://snag.gy/vC3vG.jpg

They have to be related.

Ive never had a problem with webroot installing bloatware before, and this time it messed up my laptop.
Userlevel 7
Hello TiffanyMires!

I think I see the problem with the warning about needing to rename a program.  When you installed Webroot, it does give you the option to randomize the install path and name.  This defeats some malware from removing your malware protection.  In this case, you installed it as the name 'program', and that may be a problem.  I would recommend a clean install of WSA: uninstall, reboot, reinstall choosing advanced install options to avoid this same install path as you have now.  

As for the touchpad, that does sometimes happen with almost any AV suite.  Most likely this can be simply fixed by submitting a Trouble Ticket and requesting that the touchpad drivers be whitelisted.
Userlevel 1
I seem to have fixed it. I restarted, said yes to rename. Then i remembered that my other program Soluto delays certain programs at start up so it doesnt slow down my computer. I remember that i delayed the start up of the touchpad, which explains why i kept getting an error message. I just returned it back to boot. Restarted it in safe mode, then ran the troubleshooter and this showed.

http://snag.gy/J5ZfO.jpg

my touchpad turned itself off at reboot like its supposed to.
And i no longer get that message.

Do you think it would be safe to just delete that "program" file in my C:/ directory? it doesnt have any file extention except for "File".
Userlevel 7
No, I do not think it safe to simply delete that file.  The one screen shot shows that file as being the executable of WSA.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Tiffany,

You were looking for help and I pointed you to the Support Inbox for help can you please do that thanks?

Daniel