Solved

Firefox Check Marks

Userlevel 2
Wondering why I no longer have the green check marks next to search results in Firefox, but I still have them in IE10. This seems especially odd since Firefox is my default browser. Any ideas?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 1 July 2013, 19:01

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Its probably due to a browser plugin in Firefox, if another security vendor has installed into FF it may cause this.
Userlevel 7
It's probably because the default search engine in Firefox is Google in HTTPS. And IE10 has either Bing or Google in HTTP.

WSA green check marks won't work in HTTPS search results right now. Webroot team is working on it though. WSA will still protect you from malicious websites and malware. Green check marks are just for convenience. So no worries.:)

Roy is also right. Like when I used to have Bitdefender quick scan add-on in my FF, the green check marks wouldn't appear.

You can also make sure you haven't recently started using security and privacy add-ons like HTTPS Everywhere or HTTPS Finder. This would cause search results webpage to load into HTTPS. Check whether the setting 'Analyze search engine results and identify malicious website before visitation' is enabled in Web Threat Shield.

Best Wishes,
Amit
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
Its probably due to a browser plugin in Firefox, if another security vendor has installed into FF it may cause this.
Hello Rakanisheu

I appreciate your reply but I don't believe that is the problem. I have reinstalled Firefox in an effort to troubleshoot this issue and currently the only addon in Firefox is flash player. The only security software on this PC is WSA and Sandboxie and as you probably already know neither one of them install addons in Firefox but I still have no check marks in Firefox. In case anyone thinks Sandboxie is the culprit I have no check marks in Firefox whether I open it in Sandboxie or not.
Userlevel 2
@Amit wrote:
It's probably because the default search engine in Firefox is Google in HTTPS. And IE10 has either Bing or Google in HTTP.

WSA green check marks won't work in HTTPS search results right now. Webroot team is working on it though. WSA will still protect you from malicious websites and malware. Green check marks are just for convenience. So no worries.:)

Roy is also right. Like when I used to have Bitdefender quick scan add-on in my FF, the green check marks wouldn't appear.

You can also make sure you haven't recently started using security and privacy add-ons like HTTPS Everywhere or HTTPS Finder. This would cause search results webpage to load into HTTPS. Check whether the setting 'Analyze search engine results and identify malicious website before visitation' is enabled in Web Threat Shield.

Best Wishes,
Amit
Hello Amit

I'm not using the default, I'm using http://www.google.com/. No offense intended but I wish I had a gun that was capable of killing animated avatars. Those things are extremely annoying and irritating when you are trying to concentrate on reading someones post.
Userlevel 7
OK let me test out my Firefox+Sandboxie setup and see if I can reproduce this.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
While Rakanisheu reproduces this, OP can we see a screenshot of it too? Thanks!
Userlevel 2
@ wrote:
While Rakanisheu reproduces this, OP can we see a screenshot of it too? Thanks!

Firefox

IE10

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I can't get http://www.google.com to show check marks, things have changed since Firefox 22 came out as it had many security fixes. http://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Mozilla-Firefox-22-0-Released/td-p/46950#.UdGPm22DmJM
Lets hope the New Web Threat Shield being introduced in the 2014 version can over come this.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hmm.....now that TH mentioned it, the green check marks are not appearing in my HTTP Google/Bing searches either. Nor is the padlock on WSA taskbar icon appearing while FF is opened.
Userlevel 7
I am currently have an arguement with my Win 7 VM its behaving itself

However I do have the lock on my WSA with FF open (including sandboxie)
Userlevel 7
Used another PC

looks like its https Google that the tick boxes arent working on

Identity shield is still working though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@Amit wrote:
Hmm.....now that TH mentioned it, the green check marks are not appearing in my HTTP Google/Bing searches either. Nor is the padlock on WSA taskbar icon appearing while FF is opened.
No problem with the padlock here but all HTTP search engines don't show check marks with FF 22 anyone still have FF 21 installed?

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I just updated all my PC`s/VM`s to 22 and its broken half my extensions 🙂 Doh
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok I have a VM with FF 21 and HTTP searches shows check marks so I assume FF 22 has changed that ability!

Daniel

http://www.google.com works fine on FF 21.

And Bing search works fine on FF 21.

Userlevel 7
@TripleHelix
Well I better open a support ticket. The padlock is not showing. I think you are right. The latest version of Firefox is the prob. Maybe the green check marks are not compatible with the latest version. .
On THIS laptop it turned out to be Avast Web Shield that was putting them in.
VERY ANNOYING, although it worries me a bit to disable ANY protection software.
This seems to be another of Avast's ways of advertizing by drawing attention to "what they are doing to protect us".
I just don't want it; IN MY FACE- ALL THE TIME !