Firewall set to "Block unknown"...

• 7 September 2022
  • 21 replies

but will auto allow in 115 sec.

How do I disable this??? If I am not in front of PC , I may have an “untrusted” connecting automatically to internet after 115se.

This topic has been closed for comments

21 replies

Userlevel 7

Hello @robot 

I would recommend getting in contact with Webroot Support with this problem.

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket

Call 1-866-612-4227

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

HTH,

Dave

“I would recommend getting in contact with Webroot Support with this problem”

This is not a ‘problem” , it is by design. You should be able to reproduce the “problem” on your PC. My question is if we can alter this behavior somehow (registry settings, maybe?)

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

“I would recommend getting in contact with Webroot Support with this problem”

This is not a ‘problem” , it is by design. You should be able to reproduce the “problem” on your PC. My question is if we can alter this behavior somehow (registry settings, maybe?)

I don’t think so but support would know because we Mods are Volunteers! But I understand what you are saying but Webroot believes (Realtime Shield) it’s better to allow than block and cause PC issues with blocking something that shouldn’t be blocked and if that’s the case a clean reinstall is the only way to remove the block.

You can try this under Advance settings!

HTH,

Hello TripleHelix,

So, if “but Webroot believes (Realtime Shield) it’s better to allow than block “ what’s the point in having a firewall????

A firewall which auto-allows a file after 120 sec, regardless if is  trusted or untrusted is equal to ZERO from security point of view.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello TripleHelix,

So, if “but Webroot believes (Realtime Shield) it’s better to allow than block “ what’s the point in having a firewall????

A firewall which auto-allows a file after 120 sec, regardless if is  trusted or untrusted is equal to ZERO from security point of view.

Talk to Support as they will have more info. Thread Closed!

I did not experience any slowness , but to say “It absolutely the strongest protection out there. I have never, ever, not even once, had a virus infection “  denotes that you are not in touch with reality.

Webroot has never been tested in the last 5 years by any 3-rd party. In my own testing, will detect 5% of ZERO day malwares and maximum 60% of the rest.

Microsoft Defender has 99.9-100% detection rate in the last 5 years with 1-2FP

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Webroot has never been tested in the last 5 years by any 3-rd party. In my own testing, will detect 5% of ZERO day malwares and maximum 60% of the rest.

Microsoft Defender has 99.9-100% detection rate in the last 5 years with 1-2FP

You are more than welcome to have your own opinions of our software, but I ask you to please stop posting obviously false statements. SE labs are an established and well known 3rd party tester. At this point you are just tryin to troll.

SE labs ...

From  8 product tested by SE labs, Webroot finished on 7-th place , with 95% accuracy.

Microsoft Defender , with 99% accuracy, finished first.

Everybody got AAA, except the last place (8-th)

I do not understand , why are you so happy.

Everyone can test Webroot and see that , at best, detection rate is somewhere to 80% 

Hello Tyler,

As a Sr. Security Analyst, can you answer why Webroot Firewall will “auto allow” an untrusted file to connect to the internet after 120sec????

If is “untrusted” , means was never seen before by Webroot. If the file would send bank logins over the internet, how is Webroot going to “recover” that once a determination is made.???

See, a simple question like that creates huge doubt on Webroot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hi @robot  or should I say Claudiu...

Hi @robot  or should I say Claudiu....

Oh no! Claudiu again 😵. Webroot is for him like a hard drug he desperately wants to shake off but just can’t. However much he tries “cold turkey”, he still finds himself coming back for yet another hit. Sad 🤒.

“Hi @robot  or should I say Claudiu...”

rather than pretending to be a smart detective, why don’t you spend  a minute to provide a rational answer to my question above??? (if there is a rational answer….)

Userlevel 7

Hi @robot  or should I say Claudiu....

Oh no! Claudiu again 😵. Webroot is for him like a hard drug he desperately wants to shake off but just can’t. However much he tries “cold turkey”, he still finds himself coming back for yet another hit. Sad 🤒.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

“Hi @robot  or should I say Claudiu...”

rather than pretending to be a smart detective, why don’t you spend  a minute to provide a rational answer to my question above??? (if there is a rational answer….)

Actual discussions on internal coding practices can not really be discussed here. Suffice to say that different methods are always on-going.

Note: If you keep Trolling you will be banned again!

Hello TripleHelix,

It is not trolling.

It is a desperate attempt to like and understand Webroot.

Every year I buy a new license of Webroot to test it one more time. Years ago I complained about “journaling” idea , asking what happens if the “unknown”  .exe is sending credentials (bank info, passwords) over the internet , while Webroot performs determination.

One of the developers said, “don’t worry, Webroot will block the access to the internet for that .exe so nothing will be stolen from your PC” 

Now , in fact we find out that after 120 sec all files are auto-allowed.

I am an engineer by profession , so I have a low tolerance to BS ; as a consumer, I have the right to know how this approach will “protect” me.

If I cannot get an answer on this forum , next will be an open letter to “Open Text”

Thank you for your understanding.

Userlevel 7

Hello TripleHelix,

It is not trolling.

It is a desperate attempt to like and understand Webroot.

Every year I buy a new license of Webroot to test it one more time. Years ago I complained about “journaling” idea , asking what happens if the “unknown”  .exe is sending credentials (bank info, passwords) over the internet , while Webroot performs determination.

One of the developers said, “don’t worry, Webroot will block the access to the internet for that .exe so nothing will be stolen from your PC” 

Now , in fact we find out that after 120 sec all files are auto-allowed.

I am an engineer by profession , so I have a low tolerance to BS ; as a consumer, I have the right to know how this approach will “protect” me.

If I cannot get an answer on this forum , next will be an open letter to “Open Text”

Thank you for your understanding.

I’m going to ping @TylerM so that he can publicize everything that is “Under The Hood” of Webroot security and all the secrets. My main computer is the iMac so I’m also going to get in-touch with Apple and I want to know how their security works also, all the secrets. I am a paying customer and I have a right to know! Doesn’t my last statement sound dumb? That’s what you’re asking.

I’m sure “Open Text” would love to hear from you and after @TripleHelix compiles all the forums that you have Trolled on with different member names to hide your identity, I believe “Open Text” will file your “Open Letter” in “File 13”

I believe @Muddy7 is right, Webroot is like a hard drug to you and you can’t shake it off.

… after @TripleHelix compiles all the forums that you have Trolled on ...

In case, Triple Helix, you missed it—but I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have—here’s one more of those forums to add to the many many many others:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25131230-100-pc-security-different-approach

We’re not the only Forum on the internet that Claudiu Botezatu has honoured with his esteemed presence and thus managed to wind up & completely p#ss off every single one of its members. Far from it!

All I ask is for a logical explanation about how WEBROOT can protect an user if auto-allows an untrusted file to connect to the internet till  will make its determination hours or days later.

Not understanding my question is either bad will or stupidity, whichever is more convenient to you.

And I am not “Claudiu” or whoever you believe I am.

Userlevel 7

Thread has been marked “Solved” Thread Closed

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I moved all these useless posts in his old topic as the other was in the Business Section!

We will leave it for @TylerM to deal with!

Also @robot you used a disposable email address and a VPN or Tor or some other way to sign up then you posted with your real IP address so we know where you are from.

@robot An as yet undetermined app connecting to the internet, on the one hand, and allowing only very restricted access to undetermined apps and processes, e.g. ringfencing private identity data from those apps, on the other, are discrete and separate functions of Webroot’s protection technologies. For further information. please speak to a developer such as @TylerM, who will be far more competent than voluntary helpers such as myself to address such questions. Please bear in mind also ProTruckDriver’s point regarding how much security information, for obvious reasons, a security company is prepared to share.