Solved

Four computers are slow since change from PrevX to Webroot

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
 I have used PrevX for almost 5 years with not a single complaint, and my computers have always remained very fast in startup, and in browsing. I have always has PrevX on my 2 primary pcs until the recent upgrade to webroot, and since I just purchased two more pcs I've added webroot to them as well. I now have Webroot on a total of 3 desktop pcs, and 1 laptop. I'm running Windows 7 HP on 2 desktops, Windows XP Pro SP3 on the last desktop, and the laptop is new with W7 Starter installed. I'm using the same keycode on 2 desktops, and a different keycode on the remaining pc and laptop.

Since upgrading from PrevX to Webroot on my primary pcs I've noticed a that all 4 computers are VERY slow to startup. Once the desktop loads all icons, these icons remain inactive for around 1-2 minutes on each pc. At first I thought it was just on my own computer, until today when I accessed all 4 pcs, and am now seeing that all 4 of them have this same problem. It's as if clickign the icons on my desktop will not work to open any of them during this 1-2 minute period. Right clicking to open menu, then clicking OPEN will open some of my icons, however even this is a slow process. This has never been an issue before the webroot upgrade, and no new programs have been installed. I barely use add-ons on any of my browsers, with the exception of ad-block plus, and DNTme, which have never been a problem before.

Since this upgrade I've also noticed that while browsing pages are very slow to load, and from time to time a new page will not completely load. The reason I switched to PrevX from Norton/Symantec was becasue Norton slowed my computers down so much, whereas PrevX never affected speed on my pcs.

If this problem has been discussed here previously, or if there is a solution to it already posted, my apologies. I've searched the forum post, and have not been able to find this exact problem, so am hoping someone can shed some light on the subject and tell me how to fix this.
 Thanks in advance for any help!
icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 6 August 2013, 12:52

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi quick nice to see you again that is very unusual to be so slow can you right click on the tray icon and Save a Scan log and can you give us an estimate on how many [u] files you have, also look here to see if any processes are being Monitored?

Example: [u] c:program filesprocess hacker 2pluginsupdater.dll [MD5: 116066BC72CC233E527583F9855E0C1D] [Flags: 00090001.9293]

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi Daniel.
I saved the scan log. I don't seem to have any [u] files, just [g] files, and the total of [g] files I have is exactly 834.

SecureAnywhere Scan Log (Version v8.0.2.155)
Log saved at Wed 2013-07-31 18:42:52

v8.0.2.155
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (Build 7601) 64bit
Scan Started: Wed 2013-07-31 01:00:08
Files Scanned: 43495
Malicious Files: 0
Duration: 2m 53s

As far the active processes, there are a total of 35 processes, all 35 are allowed, with none monitored and none blocked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Is this from the Prevx to WSA upgraded PC? If it is can you please do a clean reinstall? Make sure you have a copy of your keycode as you will need during reinstall then go here and Download a Fresh Copy of WSA and Uninstall WSA and Reboot then use the new download to install and let it finish it's install scan and lets us know if that helps, and if it does you might need to do the same on the other 3.

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Yes, this particular PC has webroot from the upgrade, however when the upgrade occurred I unistalled webroot, then reinstalled once I was sure it was safe, as the webroot upgrade came very unexpectedly.
I will do a fresh install though, and see what happens. Will post results once complete. Thanks.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Just reboted PC after unistall, and had to say wow, it's back to being super fast all over again. Now I will do the fresh install to see what happens. I'd sure hoped webroot wasn't causing this slow down, but it seems as if it is. Hopefully this fixes it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Did fresh install, and so far so good. I do notice a very slight lag in the time it takes for my desktop icons to begin working, but nothing like the 1-2 minutes is was taking. Now the icons began accepting commands within maybe 20 seconds from the time the desktop appears on screen.
Will try this on the other pcs and see if they improve as well. Thanks a million!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Do a few scans and reboot a couple of times as the files scanned get cached and that will speed it up! Also you find over the next few days scan times will be faster. If you have any issues or questions please feel free to ask also here is the online help file it's a good read: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/agenthelp.asp?n=OpeningPage

You're very Welcome I'm glad I could help as I was a long time user of Prevx since 2004 myself! 😉 Also note you had v8.0.2.155 and now you have v8.0.2.167 released today: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Release-Notes/PC-Release-Notes-Version-8-0-2-167/td-p/52078#.Ufm4i23Nnns

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Will do. Funny thing is I noticed that my scan times have gotten longer since the first upgrade to webroot. Times went from 1 minute 2 seconds to 3 minutes 4 seconds. It seemed that every time it scanned, the time would slightly increase, but just a few seconds usually. Perhaps now it will work right. I have not checked the other pcs scan times to see if they also got slower, but I will.
Cheers to you as well, Quint
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm using SSD's and my average is:

Take Care Quint,

Daniel :S
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
I'm using a SAS and webroot says it's used 1.42% of my CPU Since installation and 0.001% disk space. Average scan time now is listed as 3.7 minutes, which is longer than ever before on this pc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
All will go down in a few days of use and scans except 0.001% disk space. 😃 Now to get your friends back.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I`d be happy to go through you KC and clean up the U`s in the logs should help with scan speeds. If you PM your KC I`ll check it out.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
@ wrote:
I`d be happy to go through you KC and clean up the U`s in the logs should help with scan speeds. If you PM your KC I`ll check it out.
 Me?
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Update:
 Finished reinstalling WR on 3 of the 4 pcs today, (don't have access to 4th one yet), and all 3 are running perfectly as normal now. The laptop is still slow, but I've narrowed that problem down to a wireless router, as it's lightening fast when hard wired.
Thanks again for your help Daniel. I was going to mark this problem as "Solved" but looks like someone already did that somehow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
 Me?
Roy just wanted to know if you have many [u] files and if you do send him a PM with your Keycode and he will get them whitelisted.

HTH,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Update:
 Finished reinstalling WR on 3 of the 4 pcs today, (don't have access to 4th one yet), and all 3 are running perfectly as normal now. The laptop is still slow, but I've narrowed that problem down to a wireless router, as it's lightening fast when hard wired.
Thanks again for your help Daniel. I was going to mark this problem as "Solved" but looks like someone already did that somehow.

You are very Welcome Quint I'm glad that I could help, now we need to get your friends back on WSA.

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi Daniel. I don't seem to have any [u] files, unless I just don't know where to look..... the files in my scan log are [g] files.
What is a [u] file?
Userlevel 5
[u] files are files that are not known by the Webroot Intelligence Network (WIN) and which are currently being monitored by your local WSA installation. If you have a lot of those then it could possibly be a source for why your machine is slower then what you expect it to be.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
@ wrote:
[u] files are files that are not known by the Webroot Intelligence Network (WIN) and which are currently being monitored by your local WSA installation. If you have a lot of those then it could possibly be a source for why your machine is slower then what you expect it to be.
Gotcha! I doubt htis particular machine has many [u] files, but I have two KC's and I'm willing to bet that one machine on my second keycode has ALLOT of [u] files....and there's no telling what else you may find.
 WRA detected several threats on that PC when installed on 7-19. Since I can't access it right now, and the online console shows it has not completed a scan since 7-19, then I'm not sure what's going on with it. I did a manual scan on 7-29, and all seemed fine, but now looking at the web console it still shows it hasn't scanned since 7-19. Will be next week before I can access it again.
If you, ( ) see anything in the KC I need to be cautious of, please do tell. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
I have looked at the Keycodes, the new one had some adware but nothing really malicious. Not a huge amount of unknowns either which is good.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Thanks a million Roy! I appreciate your time and trouble. The new pc belongs to my kid so I expected some junk, just glad it's not too terrible.
 Thanks to everyone else for your help as well.

Cheers, Quint