Solved

Google Chrome and Identity Protection

• 10 November 2016
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Every time google chrome updates i get a google chrome new_chrome.exe application in application protection and then i have an old one, if i delete the old version in file explorer can i remove the old chrome.exe from Identity Protection? I think (at least) that it's still the program application, just updated? please help.
icon

Best answer by DanP 10 November 2016, 18:47

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello skippystyles,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I am not sure what you are asking? You shouldn't have to remove the old chrome.exe from Identity Protection by deleting the old chrome.exe in the File Explorer. 

Let me ping @ for this question...or@JP
Userlevel 7
This is a strange one. I agree with Sherry, you shouldn't have to remove any duplicate entries, but if you did I wouldn't see why removing the oldest one would harm anything.

This isn't anything I've heard our Support Team mention before, I'm thinking maybe this is an issue they should be tracking.
When it's convenient for you, if you could reach out to our Team directly to let them know the issue you're seeing.

That way if they see more cases of it in the coming weeks, they'll already have gathered your info to resolve that much quicker :)

Support Number: 1-866-612-4227 M-F 7am?6pm MT
Send us a Support Ticket: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I know @ can answer this better then i can! It has something to do with the Chrome update path.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you both for your assistance! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
This is perfectly normal, I would just leave it alone. As confusing as it is, trying to "clean it up" will just lead to more confusion and it will probably happen again the next time Chrome updates - it's a Chrome thing.

-Dan
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Thanks for the heads up, I was only asking because I had like 6 of them from the last 6 times chrome updated and I didn't want to scroll if there was any new programs, but I'll just leave it alone as you suggest, thanks very much 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Also I don't know if it matters or not on this topic, but I think i see what happend and I may be wrong, but, when I'm in file explorer (Program files x86 > google > chome > application and hover over the chrome application it says "date created 11/9/2016.  So it looks like it's recreating that chrome application in there when it updates which might be doing that (again as you said, "a chrome thing" <--indeed. (using windows 10 home 64 bit and chrome Version 54.0.2840.99 m (64-bit))

Edit...

I did delete all the others except the new one after what "acooldozen" said. I tried to add the application to application protection (it didn't add anything new) so new_chrome.exe just stayed there, and then pulled my webroot icon out of hiddin icons on the taskbar to see if it had a lock on the icon (since it doesn't show you if it's hidden) and it works and the lock is there (just putting this here if someone else has the issue).
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
 This happens to me every time my Chrome related Browser (FlashPeak - slimjet) updates as well. It does not however place the updated version into Identity Protection, but I lose the padlock on the taskbar icon when I open the Browser. I then delete the old file from ID Protection and Add the new one.