Google Chrome won't launch

• 9 October 2021
  • 2 replies

I recently purchased a new Dell laptop (9/20/21), running Windows 10.  (Soon to run Windows 11 when that is available.)  Since installing Webroot (the first thing I did) upon booting up this PC, I have had issues with Google Chrome.  

Google Chrome won’t launch - unless it is launched from the Start menu immediately after boot-up is complete.  When I am successful in getting Chrome to launch, if it is closed, it will not re-launch unless the PC is restarted and Chrome is the first app launched. 

I have followed the instructions on the web re:  Chrome won’t launch:  uninstalling/re-installing Google Chrome several times, followed by system restarts.  These only result in a temporary fix, as once Chrome is closed, it will not re-launch.  As a general rule, I try not to remain connected to the Internet longer than necessary.  

I followed the instructions in the Webroot support area, and when Chrome is running it shows that it is an active connection.  When Chrome is closed, it does not show  as an active connection.  When a normal launch is then attempted from the Start menu, Chrome does not show as an active connection.  

There are as yet, no blocked programs, no quarantined programs, and nothing listed in Allowed Scripts in Webroot.  

I have just today (10/9/21) discovered that Chrome will launch when I click on the “Read Now” button on the bottom left of the Webroot window. When access through the Webroot window, Chrome can be successfully launched, closed, and re-launched “as normal.”  

Although this a work-around for me at the moment, it would be great to have the Chrome app work as it did on my other PC, a Surface Pro 4, which took a hard crash and will not boot up at all.  I had Webroot installed on my Surface Pro 4 and had no known issues with either Chrome or Webroot.  

Please help me to solve this ongoing issue.  

Thank you,

Marlana  

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

This is a known issue for support. They are working on a new release now and are looking for beta testers, if interested. 

Otherwise the work around is to take an MD5 hash of the chrome.exe file (not.the DLL). Then take that MD5 and set it to allow in ID Shield.

To Allow Chrome through the ID Shield:

1. Sign into your Webroot console and click on the "Endpoint Protection" tab.

2. Click "Group Management."

3. Select "All Endpoints".

4. Choose "Agent Commands".

5. Choose "Identity Shield".

6. Choose "Allow application" and enter one of the MD5s.

7. Repeat this process for any additional MD5s.

Following the steps above should allow Chrome to be opened as expected.

The downside to this work around is that every time Chrome updates, the MD5 changes. Hopefully this will be a short term fix and they'll push out a patch soon.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I should add, that if you open a support ticket, they can give you access to a new version that you can install that will also fix this issue. The new version isn't ready for final public release yet though.