Solved

Gouging returning customers

• 14 November 2018
  • 7 replies

Just curious as to why the subscription of a returning customer would be auto-billed at twice the price ($40) of what I can get a new subscription for here ($20)- https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/affiliates/wsc-29?sc=70161000000TRru&rc=8200

Makes me feel really appreciated as someone giving my hard earned money to support a company that they'll turn around and rebill me at double the rate of what the product is actually available for.  Any reason for this other than greed?  I look forward to my post being deleted as opposed to you justifying your price gouging of RETURNING customers.  Have a nice day.
icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 14 November 2018, 20:30

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello nonreturningcustmr, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D
Also Welcome to the world of Marketing. Nearly all company's charge more for renewals. When I buy software, I automatically shut off the renewals to that software. As for Webroot, I look for a great deal, get the keycode and renew for less money. ;)
Oh, well if everyone else is doing it, that changes things...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bridge to jump off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
 Sign In

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Userlevel 7
Not Pathetic, it's true. Look it up for yourself. What's pathetic is you're still here knocking a software that you "Never intend to use" . Now if that gets you off, have at it. It doesn't take much. Now have a nice day. 

Well, my Webroot subscription ended leading me to ESET.  Funnily enough they offer discounts for returning customers.  Strange how that works.  Guess it's not every company charging more for renewals, in fact, some seem to value their returning customers.  Oh well, it's not like this company has a values page that their actions directly contradict...

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/about#values

Integrity
We honor our commitments and we treat everyone with respect.

[I could post the dictionary definition of integrity, but I prefer the more colloquial- doing what is right, even when no one is looking.  You sure nailed that one guys.  "Hope you're not looking while we double the price on you."  I can hardly begin to tell you how respected I feel.]

Customer successWe measure our success by our customers’ success.

[You have no idea how much more successful I'd have been with twenty less dollars, really appreciate it.]
 ExcellenceWe set a high bar for ourselves and our teams, and continuously pursue excellence in everything we do.

[Probably cost a lot to secure a bar that high up there.  Excellent job milking your returning customers.]

InnovationWe lead through ingenuity and creative problem solving.

[Apparently not.  You're on the bleeding edge of charging more for renewals just like "nearly all companies", except, you know, the ones that offer discounts to returning customers.  Creatively solving the problem of getting more money for your shareholders maybe.]

You've got a bunch of nice buzzwords, if only your actions relected those, but they don't.  The thing you value is my money, fortunately you won't be getting anymore of that.  If I sound bitter, to be honest, I kind of am.  I would have genuinely renewed webroot for the foreseeable future had it not been for your abhorent business practices.  I've had absolutely no problems with the software; I do have a problem however with your grifting in order to further line your pockets and those of your shareholders.  Maybe focus on providing the best, most economical service and the money will follow, instead of focusing on the money over your customers, especially returning ones.  Crazy idea, I know. 

Now, if you'll excuse me again, I have to go get these broken legs taken care of.  Seems following everyone off that bridge wasn't the most sound idea.  I didn't think it would hurt me, but in the long run it turns out it did.