Has anyone had a problem with web root? My was installed by a tech and was working well. not now

• 30 September 2014
  • 23 replies

my webroot is now not working. It states "1st scan not complete." Then it says "scan failed". And "secure Anywhere cannot reach the internet to obtain threat information." But my internet is working ok.  Has anyone had this problem? Thank you. 

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi caderina

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I am assuming that when you say that yours was installed by a tech you have purchased WSA from Best Buy and the Geek Squad are involved?  If that is the case then you really need to contact them directly and yo can reach them via http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/geeksquad-dl.

If however that is not the case, and you feel you are technically competent enough, then I would first recommend that uninstall WSA, REBOOT, install a clean copy having downloaded the latest installer (Webroot from here) making sure that you DO NOT import any previous settings if the installer offers it, REBOOT and then see if your issue is resolved.  Make sure that you have your keycode to hand as you will need it during the install process.

As I said, only undertake the above if you feel confident, and the software was not installed by the Geek Squad...if you do not feel confident you can Open a Support Ticket so that the Webroot Support Team can look into your issue.

Please let us know how you get on with this and do come back if yo feel you need additional assistance.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Same scanning problem first week Oct 2014.  Opened ticket originally for help importing settings:
RE:upgrade WR PLUS Mac to WR Complete Mac 2year without losing Passwords and settings? 
Now all is working except scan. 
Thought it might be useful to share solution, whoever gets first?
Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Same scanning problem first week Oct 2014.  Opened ticket originally for help importing settings:
RE:upgrade WR PLUS Mac to WR Complete Mac 2year without losing Passwords and settings? 
Now all is working except scan. 
Thought it might be useful to share solution, whoever gets first?
Thanks!
Hi Again practicality,

I did have issues last year with Webroot on my Mac  but none since Webroot Support fixed the issue of not scanning. The updates to Webroot in January has since fixed all this for me anyways. So support is pretty fast and prompt in servicing these kind of issues with Macs..In fact they are the best support you can get for free with a Subscription.

Let us know again about this because I'm very curious since we are Mac users that are too far and inbetween!!

Best Regards,:D
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Glad to help in any way I can and will keep you informed. My theory is that Mac is such a controlling animal, there WILL be glitches. And I can add that WR is the BEST security I have found for Mac.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Practicality! You state: Glad to help in any way I can and will keep you informed. My theory is that Mac is such a controlling animal, there WILL be glitches. And I can add that WR is the BEST security I have found for Mac.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes! Yes! I agree it is the only one AV for the Mac! There isn't any better around! Just fact! I'm just a consumer as you and it's great to hear you say that about Webroot! So true! When I was having troubles with Webroot I wouldn't give up till it worked! It was worth every cent!

Best Regards,
Userlevel 5
Mac Webroot is an awesome anti-virus, my dad uses it on his mac.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
My followup is not just for Mac since it potentially addresses the issue of who controlls updates and when that update is actually applied.
I called tech support to fix problems since upgrading to WSA Complete Mac. To recap: My old PLUS ran out after purchase of Complete. The shipper did not email a key so I waited for disc in mail.  WR support temp extended my old license so I could transfer Passwords.  No complaint with customer and tech support.  All should have been fine but I think Mac prevented a connection--vital for WSA updates--till their weekly validity check corrected the problem.

After upgrade, WSA shields were up but no scan would work--not even post-install.  I ran a scan--to repeat the error message for tech support...and the scan worked!  Could not keep the tech on hold while searching for an answer.  So will call again if problems persist.  Later, noticed in activity monitor: "WRBackNSync (Not Responding)" and when I click on it in online console an empty page loads that says: "Invalid Context.".  But I really haven't finished setting it up and security is first for me.

So what happened?!  I am not qualified to say.  And since my hunger for knowledge has been known to incite the patronizing and pompous "Genius" types I am not eager to say.  (Don't see ANYONE here like that but you know the type who don't answer questions, who instead, remind you to never touch the registry?  Well before I moved on to Mac, I touched my registry all over--and I liked it.)  But I found some WR Community members with similar problems and said I would share whatever I found...so I looked in Console and logs and one problem may be because Mac blocked my WSA update.

Review of logs (Activity Monitor/select options/then run system diagnostics) were of interest for Mac's App Store.  WSA and all updates are controlled there and since Mac's validity check is not done till Thursday currently--my upgrade was not accepted till Mac's catalog was updated--right before I called WSA tech support today!  (I DO appreciate that Mac keeps things simple and working...but can't be the passive user they may prefer.)

Random Log Details:  

"SoftwareUpdate: Fired early. Should check=FALSE...

Oct  8 23:16:20 Ds-Mac-mini.local softwareupdated (200)[177]: Removing client SUUpdateServiceClient...

Oct  8 23:16:20 Ds-Mac-mini.local softwareupdate_notify_agent (501)[715]: AssertionMgr: Cancel com.apple.softwareupdate.NotifyAgentAssertion assertion for pid 715

Oct  8 23:16:20 Ds-Mac-mini.local softwareupdated (200)[177]: Removing client SUUpdateServiceClient pid=715, uid=501, installAuth=NO rights=(), transactions=0 (/System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/softwareupdate_notify_agent)

Oct  9 00:36:44 Ds-Mac-mini.local softwareupdated (200)[177]: Proceed with full scan based on intervening install (including Webroot for Mac OS X at 2014-10-08 21:06:55 +0000) (last scan: 2014-10-08 08:30:11 +0000)...

SoftwareUpdate: Catalog Not Modified since last scan..."  

Then Mac's catalog updated and without notice, Mac allowed WSA to update.  

Research leads to a dead end when an OP forgets to share how the problem was resolved.  So I shared my thoughts based on the info I have at present.
Userlevel 7
Hi practicality

A nice piece of deductive reasoning...and very informative on the oh so complicated world of the Mac...LOL.

I have to say that IMHO this is not an issue that will effect PCs due, as far as I know, there not being anything like this level of control...but perhaps I could tag our security guru @ for his view/thoughts on this point as it is, as you correctly infer, mighty interesting.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Thanks Baldrick.  Do you mean that Windows Update does not control everything that runs on a PC?!  Maybe I have finally been assimilated (my daughter loves to push my buttons and watch me writhe as she praises everything Apple).  Nah…you are so right!  But I wonder about update staging around roll-out days?  

If I asked a guru anything at this moment (after poking around in Mac’s Console) I would ask what an “unrecognized leaf certificate” is and why all I could find hints at bad memory, freezes, and crashing?  Easy to learn about common registry errors.  Apple advice to not read scary things made me want to know even more!  But that is a topic for another time and in a different
post.

If I find out anything else on topic, will post again.

Best wishes,
practicality
Userlevel 7
Hi practicality

Yes, I do...as far as I understand it...and certainly not from the security angle...butbas I am not sure that is why I tagged our TH.

Have to say that as I am inquisitive too I find the Mac restrictive even, dare I say it with fear of cauding outrage, dumbing down the experience...but then I suppose that may just be me...;)

Agreed, about a topic for another day...butbwhat about today...just posted in the Techie Forum...could be a long running one?

Regards,Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I would just add it best to Contact support again and let them sort it out Webroot Customer Service

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Agreed. Always priority one when it comes to security. Speculation is fine for after--when scans are working again. As it is in my case. Anyone hear from the OP?
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
"Have to say that as I am inquisitive too I find the Mac restrictive even, dare I say it with fear of cauding outrage, dumbing down the experience...but then I suppose that may just be me..."
YESSSSSSSS! Exactly how I feel. Nice to know you Baldrick!
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Also glad to meet Kut and for the reassurance when it comes to WSA and Macs!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Also glad to meet Kut and for the reassurance when it comes to WSA and Macs!
Hello practicality!

I can tell you as I've said in a previous post that I've had no issues with Webroot in a year..

May you find comfort knowing that Webroot works great with a Mac..just adding my 2 cents worth.;)
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Kudos Sherry--it was you who insired me to be active and post! Really grateful to meet another Mac user...hope you don't mind if I turn to you for advice sometimes?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Dawn,

Why Thank you so much! I can't tell you how much I love my Mac. I'm really not into the scripts and codes of a Mac but I do know enough to get around. It would be a pleasure to help in anyway I can. And if I cant there are others who can guide even me along the way in trouble shooting.. I'm happy to know you are looking around and posting all the nice comments that you do! So kudos to you as well! We are a very fun bunch and we love being Volunteers here in the forum to help in anyway we can. So jump in whenever....

Have a nice evening and pleased to meet you as there are few Mac users and it'll be great to have you here with us! 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
You are a great community ambassador Sherry! Same for me with the scripts and codes--my biggest frustration is that I want more control--I want to go further but with Mac, I would have to be a developer. I played with and wrote a few simple scripts but HUNGER for a way to learn more. And really, what ever happened to WYSIWYG? Why do I have to learn so much in order to go any further?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Dawn!

There is so much to learn on a Mac with scripts and codes and I also have a craving to know more as well. I use to always read the Console messages until it would drive me into thinking I haven't any control of my Mac.Then there's thr Automater and you can go crazy performing commands with that too..as for the Activity Monitor..

I'd be on this Mac learning all day and night if I could get away with it! So much to know and needing to know can and does cause havoic with me at times.

I wanted to have some sort of control with my Maverick OS and was lead to Webroot which gives to me comfort and of calmness in order to ease the of turmoil of needing to know whats going on in my Mac. Can you understand that?

Now knowing I'm protected and going along with all of Apples Patches and with Apple Support telling me they don't get viruses. The viruses have to run in a Mac and thats not possible. Well I believe there can be keylogging on a Mac and Remote Control capabilites if insued. Do I sound paranoid? No I firmly believe we need protection with a Mac regarless of what Apple claims. I can now relax and let Webroot do it's job!

I get carried away with knowing what is going on with my Mac as you are! Learning everyday is the best ever..alot of discoveries along the way. And yes I emphasize the needing to know is alright!:D

Best Regards!! Will see you a posting!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Sherry, I don't want to hijack this post off topic but am amazed to meet people who feel like I do (you and Baldrick made me feel less alone). 

I'm wondering if we could re direct this post to to a "Mac FYI" topic (with a bit of constructive vent)???  I would love to open the subject to comment but would have no clue how to move this with respect for community rules.  

You don't sound paranoid at all when it comes to Mac security.  Just common sense to me.  I became security aware after an experience with a remote access trojan years ago. Then a couple of years back, before switching to all Mac, something odd even happened on my iPad that defies logic.  I'm thankful for family, friends, (and even a PC tech ex husband) who know I am of sound mind and have much better things to do than make anything up. (Imagine the looks I got at the Genius Bar when I had them triple wipe it!)  I have a curious mind but too often need to supress it around "computer experts" who talk down to me and even get upset with me for asking questions.  Anyway, it is such a breath of fresh air to meet you and the other good folks of this community!
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Don't know about the OP but my security issue was quickly resolved. (If I still see "WRBackNSync (Not Responding)" after I finish setting that up, will contact WR about that specifically). I wanted to understand what happened and gave an opinion but promised to share any solution for the security issue. WR Tech support did not agree so it's important to share their response and solution: "Thank you for bringing the issue you are experiencing to our attention. The Webroot Development team had been notified of this issue and currently this issue is resolved. This issue was related to the infrastructure that Webroot uses and is not related to the program on your computer nor the computer itself."
Userlevel 7
Hi practicality 

Thanks for the kind words (you are not alone when you are here...;))

As you can see this post has now been moved to its own thread and if you would like to rename it I believe that you can by editing it and if not just let us know and we can do that for you if you feel it should be something a bit more catchy, etc.

Just let us know...then post away.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Feeling naive but must admit I can not see the new thread or find it...help?!