Have there been any problems with windows 10 and version 9.0 Webroot secure anywhere ?

I was wondering if anyone has encountered problems with compatibility of windows 10 and Webroot version 9.0 as
I am getting ready to install windows 10 on my computer?    

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello ?,

So far we have nothing but good reports in regards to the Windows 10 update.

I would advise taking a look at the article about Windows 10 created by our community manager.

You can locate that article here.

Regards,
STOP! Be very, very careful. I had MAJOR issues with Webroot and Windows 10. I spent four days troubleshooting Webroot and a new Windows 10 laptop I purchased (the laptop came pre-installed with Windows 10). It was the worst four days of my computing life. You can click here to view both accounts of the issues. 
Userlevel 7
Hi rtibbitts

Whilst I do not doubt what you are saying I think that one should put all of this in context...at present yours is the only negative experience of WSA & Windows 10 that I have heard of/have seen posted here (and a neumber of memebers where running the Technical Preview of  Windows 10 for a number of months before the official release).

Unfortunately, these things occassionally happen, and in this case one of those occasions unfortunately fell on your doorstep.
We sympathise immensely but as I said previously we need to keep things in context.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
STOP! Be very, very careful. I had MAJOR issues with Webroot and Windows 10. I spent four days troubleshooting Webroot and a new Windows 10 laptop I purchased (the laptop came pre-installed with Windows 10). It was the worst four days of my computing life. You can click here to view both accounts of the issues. 
@, I have been a volunteer here on the Community for .. close to 3 years now.  I also am a former Geek Squad member who happened to be the top escalations point between Best Buy and Webroot.  It was my job to identify and report issues with Webroot.  If you want to put a number on how many people will experience a problem between WSA and Windows,  it I would estimate the probability of having an issue with any AV that has been certified compatible by Microsoft, as Webroot has, is around 0.05% at the most.

The following is a bit of a ramble, and I apologize, but it has some decent opinions and information regarding the issue.

I have also had 15 years experience with computer hardware and softweare support, and computer hardware custom builds.

That clicking sound from the hard drive you describe on computer #2 is absolutely not the fault of any software.  Not Webroot, nor Windows nor other.  That kind of clicking generaly indicates a failure of the hard drive motor or 'read head' whatever you want to call it.

I am really very sorry you have had so many problems, but I can assure you that the fellow who told you it was just incredibly bad luck was actually correct.  Especially with computer #2 running for what did you say... a week, week and a half?  If it was software related to Webroot, the problem would have happened right out of the box.

The odd thing about new computers and hardware is that if the device is likely to fail before the 1 year warrantee arrives it is very likely to fail within the first week or two, and often within the first few hours of use.  When I was in my own shop custom building, and doing repairs, we always required that in order to provide a labor warrantee on the computer/parts, the owner must allow us to do a 'burn in' time of 24-48 hours.  We would run the computer and load system test software.  We had a few hardware failures during the test, not many but a few.  But we NEVER had any of our customer builds or repairs come back in due to hardware failure.

As for the link you noted with others comparing thier experiences.  I will not deny that incompatibility issues CAN happen, and a few cases have been documented by Webroot Support.  It is rare, but it has happened.  In those cases, the issue has NOT caused hardware failure like in your case.

Any time a new OS is released, there is a small % of people that experience issues, even when the AV has been tested and fully vetted by Microsoft as being compatible.  When Windows 8, and 8.1, came out, I was in that postiion in Geek Squad's Subscription Software, so I was actually not monitoring only Webroot for issues, I was monitoring all 4 (at the time) AV vendors that were participating in the Subscription Software program.

On vendor in particular had more issues than the others, but we always saw a FEW rare and very isolated cases of problems.  If you want to put a number on it I would estimate the probability of having an issue with any AV that has been certified compatible, as Webroot has, is around 0.05%
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
While most of the Windows 10 updates have been smooth, we have had reports of some issues and BSODs.  Like any upgrade, there's always going to be some bugs to work out.  Our support will work with you if you end up in one of those cases.
I am having a hard time downloading windows 10 and it seems to be that webroot is not allowing the download to complete. Anyone have any suggestions?
I am having problems just getting Windows 10 to download. It gets to 75% and then has an issue. Error report states its with the anti virus program, so curious if anyone figured out this problem. There seems to be a few chains going on regarding this issue, but no one has responded to those folks posts. Maybe someone will respond to mine...
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I've only heard of this once before. My advice is to submit a Support Ticket free of charge with an active subscription. They would be glad to check out your logs and see what the problem might be.

I upgraded to Windows 10 without Webroot interfering. Maybe it's got something to do with different brands of computers..not sure.

?have you heard of Webroot conflicting with W 10?

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I have not heard of any and I did not have any trouble.  I did not do a regular download because I used the media creation tool to get an ISO image that I could burn to dvd.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
and direct link to the tool with instructions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

You might want to give it a try as it has some good options and performs the download as well as buring to DVD, USB, etc.

DAve
I had to start a ticket because my brand new, just out of the box, HP Pavillion laptop got so messed up after WSA instsll and virus scan i had to do a factory reset to get it up and running again. Just logged in to see if there has been any progress on my ticket yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community!

When did you submit a support ticket? The support team usually answers within 24-48 hrs.So I can ? our Moderator and see if he can find anything out for you.

Kind Regards,