Solved

HELP

My dad's had acct for years and passed away. I've been trying for 4 days to renew and get technical support. I'm completely computer illiterate. I've opened tickets and got no response. I found a phone # yesterday and spoke with someone claiming to be from Webroot. I gave them access to my computer and am supposed to speak with them again today. I have no idea if I got scammed and put multiple families at risk. Can someone please help!?

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 4 July 2022, 02:51

View original

6 replies

My dad's had acct for years and passed away. I've been trying for 4 days to renew and get technical support. I'm completely computer illiterate. I've opened tickets and got no response. I found a phone # yesterday and spoke with someone claiming to be from Webroot. I gave them access to my computer and am supposed to speak with them again today. I have no idea if I got scammed and put multiple families at risk. Can someone please help!?

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Mushu 

Here is Webroot’s Official Support and it’s FREE!

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/support-home

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket

Call 1-866-612-4227

Subscription Software from Best Buy:

BestBuy-GeekSquad logo

Chat with a Geek Squad Agent

Call 1-888-BEST-BUY or (1-888-237-8289)

Also maybe Webroot Sales can help you?

Purchases, renewals, and upgrades

Mon - Fri 7 AM to 7 PM (MDT)

wr-customersales@opentext.com

Tel: 1-866-350-6089

HTH,

Thank you so much for your reply! You're so appreciated! I'm concerned I may not have spoken to someone from Webroot and given them access to our computer and I've gotten no response to at least 4 tickets to support since Friday. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Mushu 

Only one ticket and wait for a reply!

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4

First, @Mushu , my condolences on the loss of your father. This has to be a rough time for you. :(
I’m glad @TripleHelix was able to answer you.

Everyone is backed up in every sector so ticket replies can be slower. It’s pretty typical to wait a week for a response.

I hope you actually spoke to someone from Webroot.
If not, here are a couple things to watch for:

• If the "tech support" agent turns out to be a scammer, I highly recommend taking your computer to a reputable repair shop for scanning and resolution while you wait for Webroot Support to respond. Your computer repair shop can run a scan and delete anything it identifies as malware. Further, watch all your accounts for unusual activity, charges or behaviors. A compromised computer will behave oddly.

• If you paid the "tech support" agent, you may be able to stop the transaction. Contact your credit card company or bank immediately. See if they can reverse the charges or what resources they have available to you.

• If you paid the "tech support" agent with a gift card, contact the company that issued the card right away. Tell them you paid a scammer, they will know what to do.

• If you gave your user name and password to a fake Webroot support scammer, change your password right away. If you use the same password for other accounts or sites, change it anywhere and everywhere you have used it. (side note: never reuse the same password). Make sure to create a complicated password that is strong. And always use 2FA (Microsoft Authenticator App is a great resource for 2FA)

An easy way to know if you were talking to a scammer, did your screen go black while they were accessing your computer?

If that's the case, they were obscuring their activity from you. And I personally would tell my own relatives to take their PC to a reputable local repair shop for scanning and resolution. Like you said, several families are at risk.

Sorry this happened to you during such a vulnerable time. I'm happy to direct you more if you have additional questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

@quicks has a great point here and it’s been an issue for over a decade. Many scammers will pose as official support for a variety of anti-virus companies (Webroot included) and will absolutely take you for a ride and in many cases take your money as well. Please use the official numbers that @TripleHelix  gave as those will go directly to our official support.

Let us know how you get on