Solved

Help needed tech not resolving

• 31 January 2013
  • 3 replies

Switched all 4 computers from norton to webroot about 2 months ago. 
We have web watcher programinstalled on 2 of the computers and have had this for 3 years now. It blocks websites we set up so kids can't access.   It has worked wonderful for these years. We never had a problem with norton or webroot when we initially changed. But for the last 6 weeks webroot has been disabling the program on the two computers. We have gone through tech support and sent the webroot files from the computers as requested. We have also followed instructions on restoring the quarantine files in webroot and the other steps tech said to do so webroot would stop disabling. Why in the world can't webroot have a sure fire way to ignore a program that is legit? I understand webroot is viewing it as a key logger program because it is. But it is a legit program we installed and monitor our kids. This isn't right. 
Obviously If you have access to the computers you are monitoring they are your computers.
This is terrible. Tech support is not resolving. We spent a lot of money to change to webroot. Norton didn't do this. Sure it detected the program and disabled it but after we set an exclusion for it in norton the program ran fine.
This is wrong and we need to spend the money to switch back to norton.
icon

Best answer by JimM 31 January 2013, 23:11

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Welcome to the Community!

@ wrote:
Obviously If you have access to the computers you are monitoring they are your computers.

That really gets to the heart of the issue.  The trouble is that unfortunately that's not always true.  There are all sorts of malicious applications that can can spy on computer usage, and seldom are the owners ever aware of it.  That's precisely why it's so important to have a good anti-malware package.  There are some legitimate programs in which there is no reasonable potential for misuse, and we will generally whitelist those, which makes this issue surprising to hear about.  There are others that sort of straddle the fence, and classifying those can get a bit trickier.

I tried to look up your support case, but I don't see it listed under the email address you used to sign up to Community.  I'd like to say more, but without being able to look at the case, I'd hesitate to make any assumptions.  Could you private message me the email address you used to open the support case?

edit 2/22/13: Unfortunately I never heard back from Mycosyd.  We'll close this case out.  Mycosyd, please feel free to private message me if you'd like further evaluation of the issue.
I actually need this programe to detect webwatcher as I have had it maliciously installed on my pc. will it find it ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Hello @ and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

It would be best to Submit a Support Ticket and if you do have an infection they will help you remove it. Also this is a very old thread.

Thanks,