Solved

Help: opening webroot console without explorer.exe

• 2 January 2013
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
Hi All,

I recently installed webroot anti-virus on a windows XP SP3 machine. During the installation the program found an infection in SHDOCVW.DLL and (I assume) quarantined the file, as a result of which I can no longer start explorer.exe, so my taskbar, desktop etc are missing. I don't have the windows XP disk unfortuntately to recover a clean file and windows restore wasn't turned on at the time. Without explorer I also can't open the webroot console to restore the file from quarantine. I can run files from task manager, including webroot, but can't open the actual console. Could anyone please suggest how to either open the console or to remove the file from quarantine otherwise?

Thank you all in advance.

A. 
icon

Best answer by MikeR 2 January 2013, 22:29

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
I apologize and would like to help you through our support system. Please Open a Support Ticket where we are better equipped to handle situations like these and we will proceed. Please let me know when you have opened the ticket.
Badge +1
Hi Mike, I already submitted a ticket and am waiting for a response but figured someone else might have had a similar issue before. 
Userlevel 7
I wasn't able to find the ticket under the same email address you used here on the Community. You can Send me a Private Message with the email address you used and I can take a look.

This involves checking the MD5 of the program/file in question and it requires gathering logs and using the tools within the support system. We could try entering Safe Mode and troubleshooting within SecureAnywhere and the Quarantine but it is better to use the support system where we can keep a record and better assist you just in case the program is in fact malicious.
Userlevel 7
Thank you for providing the email address associated with your support ticket. The technician has sent instructions to gather logs so that the Quarantined programs can be investigated further. Please follow these instructions and submit the logs and we will be able to further assist you. 😃
Userlevel 7
Hey amik777 - I just wanted to check to see if you needed further assistance? The last interaction that I see was a support technician who asked you to collect WSA logs. Please let me know if you still need help.