Solved

HELP VIRUS TROJAN

• 31 May 2013
  • 9 replies

My last computer was destoyed when a window popped up mimicing a MS WINDOW and said a virus was attacking- needless to say my old computer was destroyed due to the damage. I once again received the same POP UP window but this time I shut down my computer. The only real difference in computer protection is this one has WEBROOT but Webroot DID NOT recognize this attack and did absolutely nothing to stop it so I shut down my computer immediately. Please help a damsel in distress. What can be done about averting these attacks in the future?
Merci Beaucoup...
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 31 May 2013, 19:04

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello tayloredone and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Please Submit a Support Ticket so that they can gather some logs and help you clean your system free of charge also please don't use other cleaning tools as Webroot has excellent Malware removers!

TH
Userlevel 5
Prior to being a Webroot User, I had a standard antivirus software on my PC and as a "On Demand Scanner" I used a Trojan Scanner for years. With that said: Webroot has excellent malware removal tools.............Does that mean Trojan Scanners are not needed??  Or in the true sense outdated??  Since Webroot of course uses the cloud everything is protected instantly when there is a issue. Appreciate your input on this.;)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Prior to being a Webroot User, I had a standard antivirus software on my PC and as a "On Demand Scanner" I used a Trojan Scanner for years. With that said: Webroot has excellent malware removal tools............Does that mean Trojan Scanners are not needed??  Or in the true sense outdated??  Since Webroot of course uses the cloud everything is protected instantly when there is a issue. Appreciate your input on this.;)
That is a matter of personal preference.  Some of us use Webroot exclusively, while others use a layered approach with other anti-malware software.  Webroot is designed to be compatible with any of the other available software, so if you have any compatibility problems you can submit a Trouble Ticket (Link Below) to help resolve the problem. 
Often when using a layered approach it may appear that Webroot is not doing anything: do not worry it is working just fine.  When in a layered situation, Webroot will stay in the background so the other solution will catch most malware.  Anything that the other solution misses will be caught be Webroot.

I have found that often if you choose to use Webroot and another solution, it is best to install the OTHER solution first, and then Webroot.  The competing software may still give you a notice that it thinks there will be a conflict, but just ignore it and submit a trouble ticket if needed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Prior to being a Webroot User, I had a standard antivirus software on my PC and as a "On Demand Scanner" I used a Trojan Scanner for years. With that said: Webroot has excellent malware removal tools.............Does that mean Trojan Scanners are not needed??  Or in the true sense outdated??  Since Webroot of course uses the cloud everything is protected instantly when there is a issue. Appreciate your input on this.;)
The only reason I say don't use other tools as Webroot Guarantees there malware cleaning but if you use other tools in which I have also but only On-Demand then Webroot can't Guarantee as the other AM could remove things that were unnecessary or some of them could even Brick your system by accident. Also the Webroot scan log will show the exact Trojan that needs to be removed in this case and all it could take is a detection of the infection in the Cloud then WSA would remove itself and rollback to preinfection state.

Daniel
Userlevel 6
Hi
I'm a bit scared to hear that my PCs can be destroyed by a trojan despite using WSA-C ! :@
Is-it really necessary to use another AV ?
Userlevel 4
I use nothing but Webroot on my system and haven't had any issues. Webroot is really good at what it does. And as some had said, some people like a layered approach having more than one security product. And others just use Webroot. Either way you can't go wrong.

I myself like the low resource usage by just using Webroot, and I don't sacrifice security doing that. The choice is yours, and either way you won't make a wrong decision.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi
I'm a bit scared to hear that my PCs can be destroyed by a trojan despite using WSA-C ! :@
Is-it really necessary to use another AV ?
I think the OP got a little over the top with saying destroyed IMO. Have a look at this Video. ;)

TH
Userlevel 6
Yes a nice video:D
Now I can sleep on my two ears;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Yes a nice video:D
Now I can sleep on my two ears;)
As I always do! 😉 First thing is never panic and seek help Here or the Support System the Threat Research Staff is Excellent and if need be they can connect to your system and clean it themselves. You are on the most Innovative Security Solution on the market and you are very well protected that I can say without a doubt.

Daniel 😉