How do I fix a handle leak in explorer.exe?

• 11 July 2015
  • 6 replies

My Webroot sasy i have a handle leak in exporer.exe.  How do I fix it?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi harkbfast3 and welcome to the community,

I really would not panic over that information just yet.  You need to do a bit more troubleshooting before you become concerned.  There is a good post on Microsoft Technet's site that addresses handles, what is normal and not, as a general rule.  Have a look and see how your system compares.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/yongrhee/archive/2011/12/19/how-to-troubleshoot-a-handle-leak.aspx

Rarely do I see handle issues unless you have a very unruly application that misuses available memory.  So until you verify the issue I would take the WSA report of handle leaks with a grain of salt.

I have mentioned this in previous and similar posts on this subject that other tools like Process Explorer are available from Microsft SysInternals if needed.

Best of luck and if you need additional assistance please check back in with the forum because there are many knowledgeable people here who will be glad to help.

Best Regards,
Dave
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
*In explorer.exe or any process.*

I run Optimizer every Monday and then run System Analyzer.  I invariably see one, to often two or three active processes showing handle leaks.  This is weekly.  I don't feel like I can ignore this, but I am not an IT guy, and don't feel able to wade through pages and pages of debugging instructions on various manufacturer's web sites to fix this. 

I clearly understand what a handle is.  Can't I shut down the program or process and restart it to solve the sympton if not the disease?  I know what the programs and processes are and how they will affect my operations.  Thank-you for any help you can offer.  --mark
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I close explorer.exe by using the Task Manager.  To restart explorer.exe I use the Windows Command Prompt, available in the Windows10 start menu or in Windows System.  You must have the  Command Prompt up and ready to initiate before you shut down explorer.exe.
Userlevel 7
That will certainly work but a quicker way is to just use the 'Restart' option that is available in the same context menu as the 'End Task' one...it does the same thing, i.e., ends the task but also tees up a restart...so saves one the need to use a CMD line, etc.

This is certainly available under Win10, and works very well for me if I am ever in need of an explorer.exe refresh.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Thank-you.  I'd have to seek out that context menu as I'm doing it from a custom Win10 start menu. 
Do you have input on my original question regarding handles?
Userlevel 7
You are most welcome.

So in terms of your original point on handles; "Can't I shut down the program or process and restart it to solve the sympton if not the disease?  I know what the programs and processes are and how they will affect my operations.  Thank-you for any help you can offer."

Yes, can shut the program or process down & restart it...but all that is doing is resetting the playing field for System Analyzer, as in my experience the majority of the time these 'leakage' notifications are FPs. Take explorer.exe...as developed by Microsoft...not everyone will be seeing this as an issue (I occasionally do and then nothing for months) which really means that it is not really an issue...otherwise everyone would be clamouring at Microsoft to 'fix it'...which they are not.

So, if your system is running as per usual, i.e., you are not noticing any change in performance or experience, then there is nothing untoward and I would just ignore the notification...that is what I do.

If on the other hand, you do notice a difference then you need to investigate possible freeing up memory by other means or even increasing the amount of memory installed in your system.

Not sure if that helps much but it is my thoughts on the topic.

Regards, Baldrick