How do I get "cassiopesa" off my pc?

I tried to download a label-printing program that I used on an older pc I have, and Cassiopesa downloaded itself as well. It's messing with my Chrome homepage and browsing. I've tried several online suggestions to no avail. My Webroot doesn't seem able to see it or remove it.  What do I do to get rid of this malware?
Thanks.

4 replies

I tried to download a label-printing program that I used on an older pc I have, and Cassiopesa downloaded itself as well. It's messing with my Chrome homepage and browsing. I've tried several online suggestions to no avail. My Webroot doesn't seem able to see it or remove it.  What do I do to get rid of this malware?
Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Cassiopesa.com is a browser hijacker. This a highly dangerous, malicious, and intrusive tool. It slithers its way into your system by means of deception and subtlety and then makes a complete mess. As soon as it latches onto your computer, it starts wreaking havoc. The most dangerous aspect of getting stuck with a hijacker is its ability to implement any and all changes it so desires, without bothering to ask for your permission.

Please have a look here at the KB Article of PUAs

Open Google Chrome

• In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions
  • Remove the Cassiopesa.com by clicking on the little recycle bin
  • Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
Also I would submit a Support Ticket free of charge with an active subscription because removing this requires moving this from the registry.

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,
Thanks for responding Sherry.
I've tried following your instructions:  when I looked at "tools" and "extensions" I could not see Cassiopesa in the list.  However, I seem to have removed the program "Tny_Cassiopesa" from my programs using control panel, and then I followed the recommendations to remove it from the list of home page options and removed it as a search engine.  I used Webroot to clean up and do a scan, restarted and now my browser seems to be working ok. Do you know if that will permanently fix the problem or is there a possibility it is still working somewhere in the background?
BTW I also made sure it was removed as a search engine/home page for Internet Explorer for good measure, even though I rarely use it. 
Thanks again for the help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

I'm sorry I must of missed your reply.

It sounds like you have done all you can do.

Have you noticed any redirects or hijacking? You may have caught this early enough that it was stopped in its tracks.But...

If it was me I would submit a Support Ticket as mentioned in previous post because this cassiopesa will remain in your registry unless it's removed. This is one of the steps you haven't done right? Since messing with the registry can cause damage to your system if  you don't know what you are doing then I would get some help. This is a bad one from researching this hijacker!

Thank you for getting back to us and do let us know if you need anything..just give us a shout!

Kind Regards,