Solved

How do I get rid f adchoices please

Is adchoice not a virus ? If not how can I get ride of it, because webroot  wonT. Thank you.
icon

Best answer by JamesG 12 May 2015, 17:06

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Adchoices is not a virus, it is a legitimate company that assists with displaying advertising. Unfortunately there is no real way to "remove" this. You can opt out of being displayed ads relative to your browsing habits but that is pretty much it.

I would advise downloading an Ad block software like Ad Block Plus. It works very well to block these sorts of things and if it does not, you can tell it which elements to block on the page.

You can download it at https://adblockplus.org/.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the response
Userlevel 7
?,

You are very welcome.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Adblock plus is not removing it from my system.  It's still popping up and I can't get rid of it.  Help please!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

AdChoices starts showing its ads as soon as it enters its target PC. In most of the cases, users unintentionally agree to install this adware-type program on their computers when they download freeware or shareware.

Please read this article below and see if it can help you get rid of adchoices.

What you are seeing and describing sounds like it may be what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's. You may also want to submit a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer at no extra charge, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.

Hope this helps,